PDA

View Full Version : HID Setup

Shadowlife25
12-29-2009, 02:15 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390135457088&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and a set of Hella E code 200mm housings. ($50)

Thoughts? :)

Ps.

They will accept a best offer and the total will only be $65 for the whole kit. ;)

METDeath
12-29-2009, 02:21 AM
The ballasts look shopped. That in itself scares me.

Shadowlife25
12-29-2009, 02:25 AM
They aren't. :)

They're basically the same ballast everyone uses.
I did look into it first.
These apparently also come with a relay and a controller for the Hi/Low function.
Full HID setup with E-codes for like $110... We'll see how they turn out.
They did specify that if there is ANY issue with them, they will send out a full replacement no questions asked.
That at least makes me feel quite a bit better about the whole thing.

Luni
12-29-2009, 02:27 AM
Did you buy them?

Cause theres a site out there with better HIDs, for cheaper, that dont require the relay.

Shadowlife25
12-29-2009, 02:31 AM
All the sites I checked, the ballasts were basically the same.
Look was damn near identical as well as all rated specifications and current draws.

I would use a relay anyhoww, less strain on the other things in the circuit.

Relays are cheap insurance. ;)

So, yeah I got 'em. Merry F'in Christmas to me. (Or the girl really...)

Luni
12-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Cool man.

I dont like the idea of needing a relay cause HIDs actually use LESS power than standard beam lights. They use less watts and more volts.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/ is where you want to get HIDs from IMO. They use the very slimmer DIGITAL ballasts. They also dont use relays.

Shadowlife25
12-29-2009, 03:01 AM
Same exact ballast I am getting.

I paid a dollar more, but whatevs.

Lookin on there I saw an "error code eliminator" glad we don't need that in a 5th gen at least.

Does your 7th gen require that?

Shadowlife25
12-29-2009, 03:32 AM
I was looking in their install guide for the Hi/Low H4 HID setup.

They do use an additional controller box too.

METDeath
12-29-2009, 06:24 AM
Install should be plug our harness into your bulb socket, attach grounds, attach positive lead to battery. If you use a harness that is... otherwise insert plugs into bulb plugs. Also try not to crush your plugs. kthnx bai

Shadowlife25
12-29-2009, 06:31 AM
^^ Pretty much.
Install looks to be dead simple.

I think I will hide the ballasts under the radiator cooling panel.

Okctrd
12-29-2009, 08:11 AM
those are good for the price, considering they are hi/lows.

i got mine on ebay for like $50, more than a year and half and i've had no problems with them. (it required a relay on mine though)

So what k did you get?

Shadowlife25
12-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I had decided on the H4 at 5000k as by all accounts this produces the most usable light.
Stock HIDs are 4000k but the difference between them is not so large as to draw unnecessary attention. ;)

Kanoodle
12-29-2009, 09:42 AM
I paid 200 for mine last year they are H4's with 8000k slider lamps but I still need to get housings. As for what you are getting I couldn't tell you how well they are built.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/over_worked/photo-2.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/over_worked/photo-3.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/over_worked/photo-4.jpg

Shadowlife25
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Nice kit Dustin. :)

make/model/vendor?

GT4SOM
12-29-2009, 01:41 PM
I want to see pictures of this when you set it up.

On a side note, has anyone ever put in HID kit in their fog lights? I think our bulb is an H3. I know that DDM site has them.

Luni
12-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Dustin got his from niteboy over on mr2oc.

Carolina91GT-S
12-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Mario,
What housings are you pairing those with? I am all for riding your research bumper since I have been thinking about HIDs for a while now

BTW I do like the idea of the fogs too but I wonder if you can get housings that fit the brackets or were you thinking of completely different mounting solutions

~Chris

rizin
12-29-2009, 09:14 PM
I might have to look into this for my wifes car. Even after polishing the head light housings back to crystal clear they still don't work worth a damn.

Blackcloud
12-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Cool man.

I dont like the idea of needing a relay cause HIDs actually use LESS power than standard beam lights. They use less watts and more volts.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/ is where you want to get HIDs from IMO. They use the very slimmer DIGITAL ballasts. They also dont use relays.

$50 for hids? damn! im buying!! people allready highbeam me all the damn time cuz of how high my shit is already.. they will hate me now for sure!! :D

88st165
12-30-2009, 05:22 AM
It took almost 2 weeks to even ship my order from ddm bc of backorder (shipped out yesterday). I ordered the h4 and h3 5000k kit. Since the 165 fog light housing doesnt have a platic cap its going to take some thinking to make sure everything is sealed. If it doesnt work Ill just get some hella 500s and put the hids in there hehe

METDeath
12-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Someone on slick deals posted a link to DDM thinking the normal prices were sale prices (because it does look that way). So that's the only reason it's like that.

GT4SOM
12-31-2009, 01:39 AM
^I saw that lol. I'm like this isn't on sale, and its cheap!

Shadowlife25
12-31-2009, 01:46 AM
I will for sure take pics once I get it all. Should be sometime next week.

PittsburghCeli
12-31-2009, 03:34 AM
I have been using the h4 bulbs for a few years and what I don't like is the housing/lenses. They don't seem to do a good job reflecting. I have had 2 sets now and neither one does as good of a job as stock. I now have the lenses with the projector/magnifying glass in the middle (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-CELICA-1982-1992-1993-HEADLIGHTS-1988-1990-1991_W0QQitemZ140364572494QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20ae61674e) with silverstar ultras and they still aren't as bright as stock. I am actually going to convert back to stock. The only good thing is that the high beams seem to reflect well. The low beams actually sucked so bad on my last lenses that I reverse the wires and drove with the high beams on and no blue light in my dash. Nobody noticed they were the high beams. Also the lenses come with a city light that always burns out and the new set of lenses I got didn't fit into the steel holder and I had to file them down to make it fit. The steel holders are on my list next time I go to the junkyard and then I will convert back to stock. They also leaked at first until I used a lot of bulb grease around the openings. I think the low beams just don't reflect good enough and I am less inclined to believe that I got a bad kit and the bulbs are just not bright enough. The lenses come with blue h4 bulbs and some even come with blue covers for the bulbs and this just makes them even dimmer and those bulbs wear out quick. Also try not to crush the plugs when the headlights flip. They were a pain and are dim for me and I am not happy, but they look cool.

Kanoodle
12-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Nice kit Dustin. :)

make/model/vendor?

Dunno make or model, bought these over a year ago off the MR2OC

donteatbugs
12-31-2009, 12:10 PM
i have the ddmtuning kits in both my cars. alltrac with plain diamond cut housing low beam only 6k 55w ballast. (really f'n bright) the pattern suck but you can see everything very well. my 7thgen i have 35w 6k in the low beam and fog lights. both have projectors and it has a perfect pattern. ddmtuning has lifetime warrenty and they do a good job with it too. one of my fogs came with a bad bulb. sent it back and got a new pair in about 8 days from when i sent it off.

Shadowlife25
01-03-2010, 09:10 AM
The Hella E-Codes showed up today while I was at work.

The lenses are really clean and clear.

It looks like they have a little grommet for a "city light"?
Do I need to plug this completely to use my HID setup once it arrives?

I mean, I have nothing to go in that space, so it's basically just an empty hole in the lamp housing.

Any ideas?

PittsburghCeli
01-03-2010, 10:11 PM
You need to plug it, otherwise it will let in contaminates. I duct taped the hole on my last lenses after the bulbs burned out, but that wasn't the greatest fix, maybe a silicone plug with an aluminum foil face to reflect or really anything that will seal it. You can buy a blue 12v bulb and wire it to the parking lights if you want, but it will burn out in about 3 months or less if it is located above the headlight bulb and last a little longer below the headlight bulb. It really is pointless to put a city light on a flip headlight, unless you drive with the parking lights on and the headlight flipped up. That is really the only time you will see it, but I guess it adds some blue color to the lense when the lights are on.

Mafix
01-05-2010, 06:12 PM
just got mine installed. (hence when i noticed the trans leaking)
autopal e code housings, ddmtuning 55w h4 dual beam 3000k. i'm happy.

Slider
01-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Any pics? Maybe ones to show the cutoff against a wall from about 20 feet away or so?

88st165
01-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I just got my h3 and h4 kits in the mail today. Too cold to install though.

sodap0p
01-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Cool man.

I have many digital ballasts and the ones Mario is using. Using a relay helps especially if you have daytime running lights( low voltage) and for HIDS that use less power then what the circuit is designed for(aka under 50W as most headlight circuits are 55W). You save your light switch and everything else on that circuit by using a relay.

You can buy 50w ballasts, I would recommend that if you dont want to use a relay.

I dont like the Bi-Xenon, I would go with H4-2 or something else. I have Bi-Xenon's on my wives van and they are fail. One keeps moving in and out.

my 2 pennies

Okctrd
01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
just got mine installed. (hence when i noticed the trans leaking)
autopal e code housings, ddmtuning 55w h4 dual beam 3000k. i'm happy.

yea do you have any pics? they should be yellowish right, since they are close to 2500k??

Mafix
01-06-2010, 12:43 AM
in the project thread page 3. funny as hell cold they are deep green. and the high beam to low beam action is instant. magneto on the back of the bulbs.

GT4SOM
01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
yea do you have any pics? they should be yellowish right, since they are close to 2500k??

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42001&page=3

Kanoodle
01-06-2010, 10:12 PM
The Hella E-Codes showed up today while I was at work.

The lenses are really clean and clear.

It looks like they have a little grommet for a "city light"?
Do I need to plug this completely to use my HID setup once it arrives?

I mean, I have nothing to go in that space, so it's basically just an empty hole in the lamp housing.

Any ideas? Can't you just put the bulb that the gromet was made for in? The bulb doesn't have to turn on, just needs to seal. One of my old headlight setups had that same thing but it came with the bulbs installed, I just never hooked them up to power and didn't have any problems. But silicone works well too :D

Shadowlife25
01-07-2010, 12:12 AM
I can, I'm just not sure what will fit and I don't have any random bulbs laying around. :(

Shadowlife25
01-07-2010, 02:35 AM
FYI

In my AllTrac (91) with factory fogs, I had a couple issues:

After hooking up the kit, pushing the fog lamp switch would turn on the High beams, but the fogs never turned on.
Also, High Beam indicator in the dash no longer works.

I am contacting the manufacturer to see what advice help they can provide.

The fog lamp issue is likely dur to the HID kit only using one of the stock connectors to run the system.
This shows the fog lamp circuit as being incomplete, hence no fogs.

I did the Fog Lamp mod though, and it works great.

Next issue is sorting out the no dash icon for Hi beam issue.

I'll dig through the EWD to try and trace it.

Just figured I's update. :)

PittsburghCeli
01-07-2010, 02:48 AM
You need something like this. (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?categoryDisplayName=&fromString=&itemIdentifier=131453_0_0_&productId=131453&sortType=&parentId=367-10&filterByKeyWord=&categoryNValue=&navValue=101481&fromWhere=&itemId=1481-10&displayName=Bulb+with+Socket&store=5296&skuDisplayName=2.7+Watts+No.+161%2C+3.8+Watts+No.+ 194+and+4.9+Watts+No.+168+Bulb+and+Socket&brandName=Auto+Meter) Just an example of what mine looks like when it's removed. Although I have never replaced it, they came with each set of lenses I bought along with a set of blue h4 bulbs and are currently just sitting in there burned out. You can see the city light bulb at the bottom of my headlights (parking lights on and headlights flipped up) (http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0532%281%29.JPG)and it looks like white light even though it's a blue bulb. The bulbs wear out quick, so I might try to stick a 12v led bulb (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Electric al+and+Lighting&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=867700_0_0_&productId=867700&sortType=&parentId=367-10&filterByKeyWord=bulb&categoryNValue=100367&navValue=100453&fromWhere=&itemId=453-10&displayName=Mini+-+Bulb&store=5296&skuDisplayName=Red+Replacement+LED+Bulb+Kit+for+Pe destal+and+In-Dash+Tachometers&brandName=Auto+Meter)in there and make a socket for it out of silicone, a plastic washer and soldering wires to it if i could not find a suitable led bulb and socket setup. The blue in my headlights is actually a blue glass cover over the blue h4 bulb, but that was was too dim and has since been removed, point being that the colored blue city light bulb didn't make the headlight blue and actually turned to a black color when turned off. Lights on! (http://home.comcast.net/~jasonbuterbaugh/pwpimages/DSCF0533.JPG)

sodap0p
01-07-2010, 02:48 AM
try connecting your old halogen to the empty headlight connector, that might help pinpoint the issue. I would check on my car, but I have a Canadian model and the fogs, and my parking lights all run when the car does.

Shadowlife25
01-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Sodapop:

I was actually going to do exactly that. :)

I figure if that fixes the issue, then I can measure the resistance across the Hi beam filament at the connection and jumper it with the appropriate resistor housed in a male socket to mate up to the factory connector.

:D

88st165
01-07-2010, 10:59 PM
I just hooked up my HID also and my fogs dont work. However they did work when only one HID kit was installed and the other side still had the halogen hooked up. I can only assume that it has something to do with the kits I have are only low beam. Ill just do the foglight mod and be on my way.

PittsburghCeli
01-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Nice! Good luck with the high beam indicator.

I figured out why mine are dim. It's because there is no magic ballast in mine! My kit is just fancy wires with relays. :(

The foglight mod is cool because you can drive with fogs and parking lights on and the headlights flipped down.

Galcobar
01-08-2010, 12:30 AM
The foglight mod makes U.S. Celicas act like Canadian Celicas -- we were required to have DRL.