PDA

View Full Version : Ask a 7th gen question

Luni
12-29-2009, 02:48 AM
Between Me, Bugs, and Smaay on here, Im thinking we can take care of the majority of 7th gen questions.

So dont be shy guys :)

MCcelica
12-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Aaaahheheemmenmnmn. cough.

burnyd
12-29-2009, 06:13 PM
are 7th gen girl cars?

Luni
12-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Only if they are automatics and driven by girls.

burnyd
12-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Is it possible to go 14.7 in a quarter mile with a stock 7th gen GTS with bolted exhaust?

Luni
12-29-2009, 06:39 PM
No, you gotta unbolt the exhaust and be the best celica driver evAr

MCcelica
12-29-2009, 06:52 PM
What luni said.

BabyBear
12-29-2009, 07:02 PM
If it is unbolted then wouldn't it technically be not stock? It isn't how it was when it came out of the factory, so it wouldn't be "stock". It'd still be modified in some way.

ECR_02
12-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey All,

My Son threw a rod in his 2002 Celica GT and I'm going to have to pull the engine and replace it. I have an AllData subscription (not sure that was the best investment) and I have found a rather poor quality FSM for the 2000 Celica. I have done numerous engine swaps/overhauls in my youger days but never on a FWD vehicle. I'm at the point of removing the drive axles but the ALLData manual suggests removing the lower ball joint from the lower supension arm. However, there seems to be quit a bit of tension on the supension arm even after I have the bolts/nuts off. Do I have to compress the coil spring before disconnecting this? It doesn't appear that way but I certainly don't want to release a rocket by prying the arm lose form the ball joint.

All instructions/data will be helpful.

Shadowlife25
12-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Luni or Donteatbugs can give you detailed instruction.

I will try to find the thread that has what you need.

Give me a moment.

Oh, and Welcome! :D

Shadowlife25
12-30-2009, 11:24 PM
you really want to pull it out the top. it fits between the frame rails and takes about 3 hours to pull if you know how to pull a motor. leave the power steering pump in the car and leave the subframe bolted up. take the motor mounts off and the motor and trans come up.

My advice: Take your time.

Get a box of plastic baggies, a roll of masking tape and a Sharpie pen.
Label everything as you remove it.
Label your baggies and put your nuts and bolts in them.
This way, you will not lose anything nor have any "extra" parts. http://www.celicatech.com/forums/../imagearchive/chris/smileys/wink.gif
Purchase all your fluids BEFORE you take everything apart.
If you start to get frustrated, TAKE A BREAK. <-------------This one is important.

Please post up if you have any issues.

i left the header on. the ac comes off the block and rolls off the side onto the passenger headlight. put a towel between it and headlight and it will be fine. dont need to pull radiator, fans or anything in front.

I am sure others will post more very soon, so do check back periodically today/tomorrow. :)

Luni
12-30-2009, 11:38 PM
You dont need to remove the suspension from the balljoint arm. You can pull the axles out of the hubs if you just unbolt the abs sensors from the knuckle and pull the abs sensors out of the way.

Then youre fine to unbolt the struts from the knuckle and get the axle out.

Couple of words of advice. Your outer axle nut is a 30mm 12 point socket. You HAVE to use a 30mm 12 point socket. And the only place I could find a decent one was at sears.

donteatbugs
12-30-2009, 11:50 PM
i posted in your other thread. +1 on the socket. there is 2 bolt hole on the head to lift the motor by. one in left front has a ground wire on it, the one on back right is by the header and should be empty(this was on a gt-s, gt maybe a little different) any other questions you may have postem up

ECR_02
12-31-2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks guys.

ECR_02
01-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Just an update, engine and transmission pulled together. Now I have the task of separting the transmission form a motor with a rod stuck though the side of the block! This is an automatic (16 year old didn't want to learn to drive standard go figure). So I will need to free up the bottom end somehow so i can get the torque converter off.

Then the task of finding another engine of course.

MCcelica
01-01-2010, 09:02 AM
That one is going to be interesting. What I'd do is take the oil pan off (drain it first), and the pump and get everything out of the way so you have a clear view of the crank. That way you can see if turning the crank manually might be able to help get that connecting rod out of the way, or loosen it up enough to manage another method of extraction. I wound up using a slide hammer while my buddies were pushing on the breaker bar. Took us a while but we got er.

donteatbugs
01-01-2010, 11:26 AM
since the block is unuseable you might be able to pull the crank out on the trans or knock all the pistons out and then you can turn it. either way its not gonna be easy

v3
01-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Why does my 7th gen rattle.....everywhere!

stupit car

donteatbugs
01-21-2010, 01:07 AM
because it weighs in at 2550lbs wet. to save all that extra weight and still make a fun car they left the chassis unbraced and flexy, they also decided they dont need everything to fit tight. so they just slapped it all together and you have a celica!

85gtsblackman
01-21-2010, 04:57 AM
buggs answer my pm

donteatbugs
01-21-2010, 05:46 AM
what pm? interweb noob

85gtsblackman
01-21-2010, 07:30 AM
opps sent it to vip09

i just need to know what year his gts is so i can order the same year clutch disk and pressure plate from the dealer

Luni
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
7th gen? They all use the same clutch. Why dont you just buy the same thing that KM just bought. That Exedy OE replacement one. Im pretty sure its cheaper than the OEM stuff.

85gtsblackman
01-22-2010, 04:57 AM
cause i didnt fig out i could use the pressure plate till yesterday, and i gotta use a 6th gen t/o bearing, mine chatters

i maybe getting a disk from vip09 though

oh and on 1sttoyota parts theres 2 differnt part #s for the 1zz and the 2zz, then it changed again in 04 plus theres a price difference

so since vip09 and the other guy put his old disk and pressure plate in that white st i was gonna use the same year at the dealer which i get a discount at instead of guessing, plus the toyota port is in this city actally the ports and warehouse so i can get parts in a day that are not in stock.

so while the exedy kit is cheaper its only by 20 bucks and id have to hope they send me the right one, i dont do too well with ebay sending me critical parts

wish i could use a 22re disk i got 3 of those laying around from various engines i aquired

donteatbugs
01-22-2010, 02:32 PM
yeah, vip did the 2zz clutch in a 6th gen for our buddy justin. its nice when toyota reuses designs

85gtsblackman
01-26-2010, 06:16 AM
buggs u got a pressure plate vip14.7 has a disk

donteatbugs
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
nah, im still using the clutch that came with my car. everytime i check it it's still good

METDeath
01-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Wait... the clutch I drove on in the 7th gen?

donteatbugs
01-28-2010, 04:17 AM
yep, that thing is stout!

METDeath
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Uh... last I checked, it was burning up... granted, I could probably avoid the burning smell now that I know how to drive manual better.

donteatbugs
01-28-2010, 02:40 PM
it burns when you slip it, but that is what its supposed to do. it just burns more because you have to slip it at 2-3k going up a hill from a stop. stupid no torque 2zz

hiramjacobo
01-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi, im new to the celicatech. I just got a 2000 Celica GTS that had been parked in a garage for two years. It even had a rat's nest close to the air filter.

My question is about after market exhausts. I dont have alot of money, and wondering what could I do on a low budget.

thanks!

donteatbugs
01-31-2010, 12:35 AM
trd makes a good one that you can pick up used for about 300-400. search around ebay and newcelica.org. be careful about loud ones though. if its not muffled properly it will be loud and annoying. the cheapest thing to do is to take the rear section off all together. its not that annoying and gives the best gains. its called "unbolted stock" and if you want it quite again just put it back on. it takes me about 30 mins to do this. i do it about twice a year

MCcelica
01-31-2010, 07:28 AM
If you're looking for a specific system that sounds good and gives decent gains, you can get the Apexi WSII for about the same as that TRD kit, and it's a full cat back exhaust. Not loud at all either.

drag on
01-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi guys fairly new here. Got a 2000 GTS for my girl friend. Long story short she got in an accident hit on the right side. Car now pulls to the left when I accelerate. I'm a prettygood mechanic but getting to busy and a littleold to keed doing my own work.

Car has got new clutch 125,000 miles used to drive like a top before the accident. Now I hearsome rattling that I think is CV joint axle or motor mount think it needs a cat converter or O2 sensors. Wondering if it's worth to keep and tweek or keep for a beater.

Salvage value was 7500.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

MCcelica
02-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Did you get an alignment after the wreck? Rattling could also be a strut mount. Even with a strut mount/struts, CV joints, tie rod ends, cat converter and 02 sensors wouldn't run you anywhere near $7,500. I would say I'd hang on to it to see what can be done. If nothing then let 'er go. But that is your call. So that brings me back to my first question. Did you get an alignment? Cause if it's within spec but still pulls, that bent frame could impact the decision.

drag on
02-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanx. Ithoughtof analignement fist but Ihere that bad rattling inthe right turns and even tapping the pedal in a straightline...

donteatbugs
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
i would put the car on a lift and make sure nothing is bent under it before i took it to get aligned. or when you take it and they find bent stuff they can replace it for more money usually. other than that it would be cheaper to keep the car im sure.

why does the 7th gen fail so hard?

because it didnt come in gt4 spec.

hiramjacobo
02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys, ill start looking arround!

drag on
02-01-2010, 06:18 PM
This is my thought. I'm taking it over to a mechanic I trust this Thursday to go over the whole car. I've always wanted a "rice burner tuner."

Maybe this is the one...

What do you mean it fails hard?

What do you mean it fails hard?

drag on
02-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Talked to my trusted mechanic today. he told me the last bozo that worked on the 2000gts welded/bolted the subframe together and it was holding together by a thread.

He said if it came apart while driving would have been a disaster. he found a subframe for 350 bucks and is installing it for 200. We'll get it lined up and see how it runs.

Hey is there a flow through cat converter that is EPA certified for Calif.

Thanks...

Kanoodle
02-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Don't ask Luni or Baby Bear how to put underbody/engine bay plastics back on... It was sooo cute watching them spin and rearrange them till they finally got it right :P

donteatbugs
02-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Ouch, that subframe should help it out a lot.

Kanoodle
02-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Ouch, that subframe should help it out a lot.

I was just a by stander on this and had it figured out without being under the car lol

This one piece had battery acid on one part of it. I'm like hmm that must go on the left side of the car with the acid part towards the back right under the battery. Plus the wholes in the plastic would logically be facing towards the back so that they don't scoop up water and debris rather than act as a drain. But no one listens to little ole Kanoodle haha. But seriously I think part of it was that the cold air intake was in the way of the plastic on the drivers side making it not seem to fit there. Just thought it was kinda cool for once to school both the almighty Luni and his helper Baby Bear.

Sorry to thread jack, Continue with the questions :)

drag on
02-04-2010, 10:56 PM
You can always mark 'em with a piece of tape...

BabyBear
02-05-2010, 04:36 AM
Don't ask Luni or Baby Bear how to put underbody/engine bay plastics back on... It was sooo cute watching them spin and rearrange them till they finally got it right :P

wtf you talking about? YOU had it wrong when you were trying to tell us how to run our rig. And as soon as I got under there I figured it out in a hurry. STFU! :chucklesfawk:

I was just a by stander on this and had it figured out without being under the car lol

This one piece had battery acid on one part of it. I'm like hmm that must go on the left side of the car with the acid part towards the back right under the battery. Plus the wholes in the plastic would logically be facing towards the back so that they don't scoop up water and debris rather than act as a drain. But no one listens to little ole Kanoodle haha. But seriously I think part of it was that the cold air intake was in the way of the plastic on the drivers side making it not seem to fit there. Just thought it was kinda cool for once to school both the almighty Luni and his helper Baby Bear.

Sorry to thread jack, Continue with the questions :)

The part with the "battery acid" on there, went on the opposite side of the car dude. You had it wrong when you were talking about which way the holes in it were too. Your story is a little skewed. If you don't believe me go pull the passenger side plastic off and look for that "battery acid mark" It'll be there. You didn't school no one. And for the record, those holes didn't face forwards.

Kanoodle
02-05-2010, 08:17 AM
LOLZ that's why you yourself said I hate you when you figured out what i said became true :P

And as I implied you were putting the holes forward to start with I said they go towards the rear :)

And I wasn't trying to piss ya off. The two of you did a nicely done swap, the only thing i have to talk trash about is how it took you a minute to figure out the plastics in my mind that's pretty damn good. I promise you my swap won't go so smooth :S

BabyBear
02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
And as I implied you were putting the holes forward to start with I said they go towards the rear :)

You said the holes went in the front, like on your MR2, not in the rear. When we tried to test fit the plastics the way you said they go I did say that you were right, until I realized my initial guess was right when they didn't fit at all, and we made fun of you for being wrong, or did you forget that part?

Luni
02-05-2010, 04:58 PM
All I know is I didnt know what the fuck was up. I just know I was the guy laying under the car :p

Kanoodle
02-06-2010, 12:52 AM
LOL Baby Bear you must have misunderstood me then :/ Either way job well done :)

All I know is I didnt know what the fuck was up. I just know I was the guy laying under the car :p

Haha ya dazed and confused :P

v3
02-06-2010, 03:23 AM
pffft...underbody plastics

Mine flew off years ago

hiramjacobo
02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
I was trying to download the electrical diagram but it seams that the links are broken. Anyone can help? also, the parts catalog requires a password. anyone knows it?

thanks!

Shadowlife25
02-11-2010, 10:20 PM
I was trying to download the electrical diagram but it seams that the links are broken. Anyone can help? also, the parts catalog requires a password. anyone knows it?

thanks!

Donating members have access to these features.

Phase
03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Hello, I was new in this site, the parts catalog requires a password. anyone knows it?

Luni
03-05-2010, 02:11 AM
That parts catalog doesnt work anyway man. It never has.

What are you looking for?

drag on
03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi guys. Getting this 2000 GTS put back together, the one that my girlfriend wrecked when I was in Thailand. Hummm maybe it's karma.

Anyway here in San Diego at Kearny Mesa Toyota in San Diego when ever I go in for parts (all I've bought so far are the front marker light sockets) the guys will print out exploded diagrams with numbers and prices. I also found a web site I'll post later that shows identical diagrams and numbers. Mossy Toyota in Pacific Beach provided same service. Very helpful guys in sevice department.

I even had a salesmen come out and ask me, "Is that a 2000 do you wanna sell it they are hot." Never had a sales man come out and offer to buy one of my M3s.

Anyway this car is getting dialed in. When I approach 7500 rpms I am still getting the wow feeling. Thinking I'm gonna keep this one and do a little work on it.

Got lucky and found all the under engine shrouding at a salvage yard in Chula Vista as well as some other parts for "peanuts."

One thing curious is I haven't found many parts on the internet that are less than the dealer.

In particular the lower plastic bumper grille is cheaper at the dealer 75 bucks as to opposed on line up to 140 plus shipping.

Hey what was that MT oil for the tranny?

Luni
03-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Redline MT90 is what most guys run in our transmissions.

And if you want a good in on parts, call up Lithia Toyota and order with them. Youll save on average 20 percent or more.

drag on
03-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Cool Luni

Thanx

http://www.toyotapartsbarn.com/toyota-celica-parts.html

Cut and paste into your browser. Select car and components then select view parts and it gives you the same thing as the dealer gave me...

CRBCelica
03-07-2010, 06:55 AM
does anyone know the part number for the right wheel well plastic?

donteatbugs
03-07-2010, 03:42 PM
53875-20350

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/online/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=CELICA&year=2000&catalogCode=252480&VAID=4017,4018&selectConditions=(1=2ZZGE;5=MTM)&sectionID=3&isBigPicture=False&componentsID=53-02&componentsIndex=5

vip09
03-07-2010, 05:31 PM
If it is unbolted then wouldn't it technically be not stock? It isn't how it was when it came out of the factory, so it wouldn't be "stock". It'd still be modified in some way.

I say it's stock because no parts were added that didn't come on the car from the factory. It will do it straight off the lot, you just have to prepare it for 14.7 speeds before going out to the track. Nobody wants to see a car down down the strip and not hear anything! :usaflag: :usaflag:

hyoctane
03-07-2010, 07:16 PM
So, here I am at 126k miles. I plan on keeping the GT-S for a few more years -- if not longer. I've noticed a few things that I'd like to get opinions on:

1. Late last year I mis-shifted... The needle swept off of the tach, but no damage (that I can tell). She still runs great, but the valve chatter has gotten a bit noisier. I remember the 2ZZ always having a loud valve-train, but this is stating to worry me... I'm not burning oil, so I think I'm ok. I just need a bit of reassurance.

2. Fuel filter -- I've never replaced it. I've had a few people tell me that I should look into replacing it since it has almost 10 years of gunk caught up in the filter. It seems pretty straightforward, but I don't know if it is worth the hassle. Ideas?

3. Plugs. I replaced them at around 80k -- that was 46k miles ago. I used the OEM Denso Iridium plugs. Would you go ahead and replace them? I know they have a longer than normal life.

4. O2 sensors... They also have nearly 10 years of carbon buildup on them. Replace?

5. I believe my HID bulbs are slowly dying. They are 4 years old (non-OEM). They ignite great, but the passenger-side bulb is noticeably more yellow than the drivers side once they are warmed up. Anyone know of a great site to simply purchase HID bulbs (my ballasts are a-ok).

6. Moonroof. Yes, I have the original plastic '01 moonroof up there. The '00-'01 moonroofs are notorious for delaminating, especially in the harsh FL sun. I'm looking for a glass replacement... Anyone have a spare one that I could buy from them? The motor and track are ok -- just need the glass. Toyota wants an arm and a leg for one and no local salvage yard has them.

7. Oil leak! I still haven't solved this problem. It's not the VCG, like I thought. I have oil leaking from the back passenger-side of the engine block. It's above the oil pan, but below the VCG. It seems to be where the timing chain cover marries up to the engine block.... any ideas from the people who have pulled their engines?

8. Last question... Where can I pick up so new body panel trim gasket? It's hard to explain, but there is a gray gasket that goes between the body of the car (metal) and the side-skirts/rear valance. Check out an action packaged Celica and you'll see what I mean. It's in the shape of a T w/ 3M body panel tape on either side. Toyota doesn't have it AND the collision center doesn't have any either. All of the gaskets need replacing on my TRD Elegante kit.

I know it sounds n00bish, but these are the minor things that I need to keep up with so I can keep her on the road for a few more years... Thanks guys!

donteatbugs
03-07-2010, 11:14 PM
1. the valves might be ok. if you wanted to check then do a compression test and check your valve clearence to the cams.

2. i wouldnt worry about the fuel filter unless you want to. i dont think its gonna be an issue.

3. my plugs are gonne get changed every 50k. they were really worn looking at 80k

4. it is good maintence to change o2 sensors but also pricy. i wouldnt do it if your not throwing a code

5. http://www.ddmtuning.com/

6. good idea. i havent found one either. but im looking too

7. it could be the timing cover, timing tensioner, or belt tensioner

vip09
03-09-2010, 06:54 AM
7. Yeah, I was going to suggest the tensioner. Mine leaked, but not any more. I guess all the fluids are gone lol.

240SX
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Can you fit a child safety seat in the back of a 7th gen Celica? Are the proper hook-ups in place to safely mount the seat?

Luni
03-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes sir.

There are hooks in the trunk for those.

240SX
03-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks alot, my 3 and a half year old daughter has been bugging the life out of me to get a "Tola Celica". We started early with her.

Smaay
03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
im 99% sure your leak is the power steering pump. the hoses get hard and leak.

85gtsblackman
03-20-2010, 04:39 AM
other than power, how is it better than a 6th gen

donteatbugs
03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
then engine design is better, the car is lighter and handles better. they simplified the wiring and made it more aerodynamic. its a better car all around except for looks.

glenn freeman
03-20-2010, 08:35 PM
is the cylinder closest to the harmonic balancer cylinder 1? i know this is a noob question but my mind is completely blank, and i would rather not time my motor 180 out.

Shadowlife25
03-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Sure is.

glenn freeman
03-21-2010, 04:42 PM
thank you or answering my question. i have one other question.im in the process of timing now but i run into a problem, i have more then one timing mark on my exhaust cam gear, one is marked intake, one exhaust, and one is just blank, which am i suppose to line up with the intake cam? its the 1zz-fe engine/

donteatbugs
03-21-2010, 09:10 PM
there are dots on the cam gears. on a 1zz the dots should face each other and be even with the lower timing cover. there are multiple dots on the ex gear. i cant remember wich one it is off hand but the cam lobes should be points up at each other like this / \ if they are pointed away your doing it wrong

85gtsblackman
03-22-2010, 04:51 AM
then engine design is better, the car is lighter and handles better. they simplified the wiring and made it more aerodynamic. its a better car all around except for looks.

engine is only better in terms of hp, not reliabity and abuse factor
6th gen gt coupe weighs bout the same, but yes hatch is heavier
car looks like a doorstop of course its aerodynamic, so is a 3rd gen
id imagine it does handle better though (the 7th gen)

thank them for there clutch pressure plate though

donteatbugs
03-23-2010, 03:11 AM
my gt-s weighs 2650 wet. and is stable up to 200 mph. the 2zz is way better design than the 7afe and the 5sfe

MCcelica
03-23-2010, 04:55 AM
With Bugs plus: Not to mention the fact that I still have over 60k MORE miles on my 7th gen than my 6th. 7th gen also pulls harder. Kinda hard to say the 7th gen can't handle the abuse factor. My 7th gen gets driven like an autoX track car... just every day. 7th gen is just like anything else. You take care of it, it'll take care of you. I've put my fair share of money into the 7th gen, but not anywhere near as much as the 6th gen. Not bad for a 10 year old car. :)

85gtsblackman
03-23-2010, 07:17 AM
but you guys seem to go though engines

yes the 7a sucks ass in anything thats not a corolla, unless its turboed but thats another can of worms

my old 5s was not hardley taken care of, was miss shifted a few times, and knocked into reverse at 70mph, engine and trans were original last i saw at 350,000 miles, and the engine was sludged for probally a good 6 or 7 years before i de sludged it with a mix of seafoam, oil, and diesel fuel

oh well ill let it die

for now

vip09
03-23-2010, 07:46 AM
A 5S woudln't survive a miss-shift to 12,000 RPMs either...

donteatbugs
03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
we dont go through engines for nothing! its completely user error. but mine can be mis-shifted now. oil pump and valve springs- check

Luni
03-24-2010, 03:53 AM
I swear. How many times do we have to stress this...

The engine didnt break. We broke it. It wasnt its fault. We misshifted it. Not many engines out there can take 12k RPM without having a fit and falling apart.

Seriously. If you arent an idiot, and dont misshift them, they seem to be very reliable.

85gtsblackman
03-24-2010, 03:57 AM
12K....thats rotary teritoty

H Swint
03-31-2010, 03:02 AM
Is it normal for a 7th Gen. 2000 GT-S to grind downshifting into second? I honestly know the bare minimum about Toyotas, I was into Honda then came across a Celica GT-S with 137k miles for $5,200. So, I guess I'll be converting religions. :idb:

Thanks in advance.

donteatbugs
03-31-2010, 04:20 AM
yes, the 2nd gear syncro is known to go out in the early model 6 spds. the 03 had a better tranny though.

H Swint
03-31-2010, 04:38 AM
yes, the 2nd gear syncro is known to go out in the early model 6 spds. the 03 had a better tranny though.

Around how many miles should I expect it to be completely out?

MCcelica
03-31-2010, 06:01 AM
Well I'm up over 170k now and though 2nd gear and 3rd gear synchros absolutely hate me, the tranny is still there. (Although as it is a daily driver, I'm already saving cash to re-do the entire thing cause with as much as I beat on it... I don't think its physically possible for it to last much longer.)

If that gives you any kind of clue. Keep in mind, I'm pretty good about changing gear oil out and keeping it in the best shape it can be while still abusing it.

vip09
03-31-2010, 09:41 AM
It depends how hard you are on it. I did a lot of drag racing on a brand new '03+ tranny and totally broke 2nd gear in 20k miles. The transmission I have in there now has about 210k miles on it. The only gear that gives me issues is 3rd, but it does fine if I'm careful with it.

joaquin
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey I have a 2000 GTS that's about to hit 160k in mileage. Last month the clutch started whining so I took it to a local guy to replace it. (Money's tight and all that talk.)

That's when my new problem started. That night I picked the car up, drove it home, and went to get gas. No problems. After refueling I cranked it up, and shortly felt the engine struggling and then hum to recovery.

Now this happens every time I get gas and ONLY when I get gas. It seems to be getting worse and maybe lately sometimes affects regular idling, but I think i'm getting paranoid, always watching the RPMs gauge. We thought fuel pump, but you can open the gas tank cap and close it, and there's no problems. Its only when new fuel is introduced to the tank.

Fuel filter is clogged?

MCcelica
03-31-2010, 11:53 PM
Fuel filter would be my first guess on that. Mostly because you won't ever hurt anything with changing the filter.

joaquin
04-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Yeah that's true. Thanks. I'm going to try to get a new one in this weekend and hopefully the problem will be solved.

Any tips or warnings about getting to filter/pump? I've read that you can get to it from lifting the back seat. That sounds much easier than dropping the tank.

MCcelica
04-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Here's an awesome writeup on how to get the pump out. http://newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246500

You'll need to get the pump out as there are 2 filters. The main one is large and surrounds the pump, and the other is a prefilter that looks like a sock, attached to the bottom. So if you follow the steps to remove the entire unit, you should be able to just replace the filters rather than the entire pump.

donteatbugs
04-01-2010, 04:08 AM
i would check your evap line running to the intake first. they mey not have hooked it up good. this could cause your problem. check everything going over and around the trans

Smaay
04-01-2010, 06:40 AM
the C60 is made of glass. unfortunatly its just not a strong tranny

joaquin
04-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys. It's looking like it is the evap system. I had the check engine error codes read and they're P300 and P440. I talked to the mechanic and he told me to run a can of Seafoam through just to make sure.

And best i can tell the evap lines to the intake are hooked up right. I'm going to see if i can't get under the car and do a better check.

donteatbugs
04-02-2010, 07:36 PM
most of the evap is on top of the car. it comes up the back of the firewall and over the tranny into the intake and manifold

Luni
04-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Seafoam might cause a misfire CEL which will eventually clear itself, but on OBD2 cars you gotta be careful seafoaming shizz cause it can cause a misfire CEL.

v3
04-20-2010, 01:27 AM
It depends how hard you are on it. I did a lot of drag racing on a brand new '03+ tranny and totally broke 2nd gear in 20k miles.

I blew out a low mileage (50's) 03+ after about 12k....it was spectacular.

As of now it goes original
01 c56 50k miles- output shaft bearing death,
03-05 c60 50k- catastrophic multiple failures (went boom),
01 c60 170k miles- we'll see.

joaquin
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I ended up taking it back to the mechanic because I ran out of time. He checked the EVAP system and said he had left a ground-wire disconnected. Or something like that. Anyway he didn't charge anything so I'm happy.

Also, I don't know if this is posted anywhere, but in my quest for information I found this site.

http://pdftown.com/PDF-Toyota-Celica-2000-Repair-Manual.html

You can download the 7th Gen repair manual in a 2 part .pdf file for free.

The files are big, but they were pretty useful.

donteatbugs
04-21-2010, 09:27 PM
We also offer them here for donating members with less hassle.

bzdweezy
04-30-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm planning on doing my turbo install once i'm done with school in May/June and i have everything ready but i'm still up in the air about getting a Moroso oil pan. So is it worth the $500?

I was looking at this: http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_47_60&products_id=799

MCcelica
04-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Honestly I haven't had problems with it, but if you have... I'd go for it. Especially since you're going for a turbo setup, the pre fabbed turbo oil bung and oil temp sensor bung would come in quite handy. 500 for it... eh... I think if I were trying to go for a high power setup like that, I would.

bzdweezy
04-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I haven't had any problems running it N/A. Would having a 6qt sump vs. a 4qt make a huge difference with the turbo?

donteatbugs
04-30-2010, 04:47 PM
i dont think it is, unless you plan on lapping the car on a race track. the stock one holds 5 quarts nicely so that should be enough.

bzdweezy
04-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Alright well i think i'll stick with my stock oil pan and save the money for the tune/dyno.

To Smaay and V3 and whoever has a turbo Celi when you drilled your oil pan for the turbo oil return did you drill it on the car or off?

donteatbugs
04-30-2010, 07:20 PM
do it off the car, i did a tC pan and i put the bung on and a double lock ring on the inside. has held over 12000 miles so far and feels pretty stout.

Princessjewls88
05-17-2010, 08:29 AM
are these rwd or would i be better off in a supra?

85gtsblackman
05-17-2010, 08:51 AM
no and supra

MCcelica
05-17-2010, 02:04 PM
That depends Joe. How good are ya at driving RWD Joe? You might be better off in a 7th gen if it'll keep you from spinning out... Joe... ;)

donteatbugs
05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
depends on what you want. id have a 7thgen and a supra. but i have an alltrac instead.

Smaay
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
depends on what you want. id have a 7thgen and a supra. but i have an alltrac instead.

I have all 3 :nopity::biggthumpup::boobies:

Izzy
06-01-2010, 10:32 PM
ive got one. the EGR is different on 2004-2005 modles as far as i know there is no header made for 2004+ because of that. so could you get a header for say a 2002 and mod it to fit a 2004? or is it too hard to do? also exaplin to me why the 7th gen gets slower as it the years go by. i mean 2000 gts has a time of 15.2 a 2001 has 15.4 and then 2003+ is 15.6! wtf happened there?

MCcelica
06-01-2010, 10:56 PM
The header for 02 vs. 04 is for the same engine. So yes, you can do that.

The reason they got slower is because people were mis-shifting the 00-02's and making things go boom. So for 03 and up they dropped the rev limiter. That slowed down the car a lot because its so top end heavy.

Smaay
06-02-2010, 01:12 AM
The header for 02 vs. 04 is for the same engine. So yes, you can do that.

The reason they got slower is because people were mis-shifting the 00-02's and making things go boom. So for 03 and up they dropped the rev limiter. That slowed down the car a lot because its so top end heavy.

you are wrong all all accounts. the 2ZZ head was changed in 03 by adding air injection. there is an air pump that pumps fresh air into the exhaust to lower emissions. The rev limiter was dropped in 02 not because of the mis-shifting but because changing to a different style knock sensor. that rev limiter was also raised back up to 8200 in 03 with the addition of DBW throttle body.

MCcelica
06-02-2010, 01:48 AM
My mistake. I couldn't find anything on that when I looked earlier, but I'm going to go look again just for my own betterment. Thanks.

Edit: Can you link up to some info please? I'm still not finding it.

drag on
06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
6500 rpms seems to be the sweet spot for shifting on my 2000 GTS if I want to get on it a little...

donteatbugs
06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
it will be faster if you shift at the 8350rpm fuel cut as shown in example by vip09 running a 14.7.

Izzy
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
you are wrong all all accounts. the 2ZZ head was changed in 03 by adding air injection. there is an air pump that pumps fresh air into the exhaust to lower emissions. The rev limiter was dropped in 02 not because of the mis-shifting but because changing to a different style knock sensor. that rev limiter was also raised back up to 8200 in 03 with the addition of DBW throttle body.

ok so this is new info for me. the rev limiter in 00-02 was 8200? i was under the impression it was at 7800. and if the rev limiter was raised back up to 8200 in 03 wouldnt that make the time go back to 15.2 instead of 15.6 where google says the 03 sits at?

also here's my next question. other than the body and thei nterior what are teh differences between the celica GTS and the celica GTS TRD?

drag on
06-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Your right I have done that a few times. It reelly flys but it's got 125.000 on it and I don't want to blow the motor.

At 6500 it kind of feels like a turbo kicks in. I know it the cam and variable timing though.

vip09
06-05-2010, 08:44 AM
ok so this is new info for me. the rev limiter in 00-02 was 8200? i was under the impression it was at 7800. and if the rev limiter was raised back up to 8200 in 03 wouldnt that make the time go back to 15.2 instead of 15.6 where google says the 03 sits at?

also here's my next question. other than the body and thei nterior what are teh differences between the celica GTS and the celica GTS TRD?

2000-2001 ~ 8350rpms
2002 = 7800rpms
2003+ ~ 8350rpms

2000-2001 will run 14.7's all day... :banana:

There is no "Celica GTS TRD". There is a Sports M that was released outside of the US that was rated 10hp higher than the standard GTS. It just had some bolt-ons that could easily be added to any other normal GTS.

donteatbugs
06-05-2010, 04:24 PM
run good oil and change your lift bolts and this motor can do 8350 any day

Izzy
06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
would an 04 run 14.7 all day?

donteatbugs
06-05-2010, 11:40 PM
maybe, but i think the car is heavier than the 00-01

vip09
06-06-2010, 12:16 AM
It's not worth killing your transmission over.

drag on
06-06-2010, 05:26 AM
I just noticed. It seems that I got a rev limiter at 7200. It breaks up or something else is wrong...

donteatbugs
06-06-2010, 05:58 AM
im betting something else is wrong, prolly a sensor somewhere

drag on
06-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Maybe it's a good thing. LOL

vip09
06-06-2010, 08:04 AM
I just noticed. It seems that I got a rev limiter at 7200. It breaks up or something else is wrong...

Did you let the engine warm up fully? It will only rev to 7200 and lift won't engage if the engine is not warmed up.

Smaay
06-06-2010, 09:06 PM
2000-2001 the rev limiter was ~8200, in 02 they lowered it to 7800. on 03 it went back up to 8200 but they widened the shift gates and went to DBW

drag on
06-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Yeah I never get on it unless it's warmed up good...

Izzy
06-07-2010, 05:46 PM
2000-2001 the rev limiter was ~8200, in 02 they lowered it to 7800. on 03 it went back up to 8200 but they widened the shift gates and went to DBW

explain to me shift gates, im still learning here lol. as for the DBW could you possibly convert it to a conventional system?

donteatbugs
06-07-2010, 08:30 PM
the shift gate is in the transmission. its the distance you have to move the shifter between the gears. it was too close in the early models and that was blamed on people misshifting their cars.

Izzy
06-08-2010, 06:14 AM
aaahhh ok that makes perfect sense now wat about conversion to a conventional throttle system has it been done? can it be done?

donteatbugs
06-08-2010, 12:05 PM
it has been done but unless your going standalone like pfc then i doubt its worth the trouble. you would need a lot of parts to convert it properly

mike perkins
06-10-2010, 01:00 AM
does the 2zz and 1zz share the same blocks or do they have different internals

vip09
06-10-2010, 03:33 AM
everything is different

drag on
06-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Getting ready to change engin oil and tranny oil on 2000 gts 6 speed.

I see you guys like Redline MT 90. Question is it GL 4 or 5? Also some one mentioned that they liked the Redline Shock Proof ultra light or some thing like that.

Any advise thanx in advance.

The Sage
06-13-2010, 04:17 PM
(bugs)

i have mt90 and like it so far, it still wont save your syncros if you try to land in lift in 2nd gear though!

drag on
06-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't really beat any of my cars these days. I do like to get on it in second though. I usually shift at abpout 6700 though. The VVLT seems to really engage at 6500 I think thats pretty conservative.

I think I blown my share of trannys, rears and engines for this lifetime...

Did you catch that post about one of the guys saying that the MT ultra lite shock proof is the bomb for the 7th generation. guess I'll start a thread and contact Redline.

What engine oil do you like? I seem to be using about a quart betwenn changes, no leaks.

donteatbugs
06-15-2010, 04:09 PM
i use about a quart too. right now im using amsoil 10w-30

MCcelica
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I've been running mobil1 full synth from the get go, and it doesn't even burn a half quart between changes. Even past 175k miles.

drag on
06-16-2010, 05:53 AM
What weight Mobile One and how long between changes?

Do you know about this MT90 vs MT90 ultralitght?

donteatbugs
06-16-2010, 11:39 AM
i have no idea about the lightweight shock proof but im willing to give it a try in the gt-s next time i change fluids. it will prolly be when i do the clutch job or in a year and a half. i think 3 years of autox is enough on trranny fluid.

MCcelica
06-16-2010, 01:49 PM
What weight Mobile One and how long between changes?

Do you know about this MT90 vs MT90 ultralitght?

5w-30 and usually no more than 3-3,500 even though it could "technically" go for longer.

I've never had anything else in there, so I can't personally confirm or deny the MT90 vs ultralight.

drag on
06-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Thankx. I'll check with Redline and see what they say...

Izzy
06-21-2010, 06:53 AM
ok ive reasearched this one quite a bit and cant find the answer.

ive seen 2 style of gauges in the 7th gens the one with the spedo in the middle and the one with the RPM in the middle is this an aftermarket cluster? or.....?

donteatbugs
06-21-2010, 01:38 PM
yes, the genuine TRD cluster or you can do the conversion yourself with the faces and write up from ledmod.com. its not very cheap though

Izzy
06-22-2010, 05:41 AM
so my options are get a TRD or convert it myself lol

donteatbugs
06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
basically, yes. but its only realistic to do it yourself or have someone do it for you. the only trd cluster ive seen has been $799. i think converting it cost maybe $200 to do it yourself. most of that is for the new gauge faces.

Izzy
06-24-2010, 07:43 PM
damn! its sooo sexy tho! guess im gona have to find me a TRD :P

donteatbugs
06-24-2010, 10:27 PM
check out ledmod.com first

bzdweezy
07-09-2010, 10:50 PM
So i just installed my Fidanza clutch 3.2 and a Fizdanza flywheel is it normal to have clutch pedal vibration when taking off and will it go away after the 500 mile "break in period"?

Smaay
07-12-2010, 06:09 AM
thats not normal. there should be no vibrations on all new parts. i have seen that happen when when new clutch goes on old flywheel without resurfacing it

donteatbugs
07-12-2010, 01:30 PM
did you use the correct sequence when tightening everything up? it might not have lined up properly for some reason

bzdweezy
07-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Yeah i'm pretty sure i did everything following the BGB i might have to take it apart this weekend I've only put 20 miles on it since the install. I asked a guy that works a tranny shop and he said sometimes the clutch has the "seat" itself then it will go away is this true?

donteatbugs
07-13-2010, 03:56 AM
ive never had one vibrate on a turned flywheel or used clutch. it usally something warped or not tightened up

bzdweezy
08-13-2010, 09:46 PM
How much do you think a performance shop would charge to install a turbo kit, exhaust, gauges(boost and a/f), and before & after dyno plus tuning?

I started working on installing my turbo but someone reported me to the neighborhood nazi's and they came and shut down my install.

donteatbugs
08-16-2010, 02:39 AM
a lot, maybe around 2k. never had a shop do that kind of work but i know dyno tune is about 800-1000

bzdweezy
08-16-2010, 04:11 AM
alright thanks bugs i talked to my uncle and he said i could do it at his place so hopefully i can save my summer job money:biggthumpup:

donteatbugs
08-16-2010, 12:09 PM
i would defiantly try to do all the work yourself except for the dyno tuning part.

drag on
08-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Couldn't you do it in your garage?

Smaay
08-17-2010, 08:07 PM
what kind of nazis do you have? i dont know any ordinance that wont allow you to work on your car on your property. tell them to efff off! now for help on your install and dyno tuning. my best friend Dave has a shop in Houston. http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=316590

Siyx
08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
How come 7th Gen Celica drivers are snobs when it comes to waves from any other Celica?
(On our meet this past weekend 6 Alltrac's went for a cruise and we ran into 3 seperate 7th Gen's. We all waved, they didn't)

Is it because they need both hands and full concentration to drive them?
Is it because they know they are driving a sub par machine that couldn't possibly keep up to a bunch of GT-Fours?
Is it because .... I see a new thread starting in the Alltrac section LOL

(this is meant as a joke btw, I have nothing against the 7th Gen Celica's. Someone on the cruise just pointed out that they were snobs and I have noticed it since)

donteatbugs
08-17-2010, 09:28 PM
its because most 7thgen owners dont know their heritage from their dipstick....its sad

Siyx
08-17-2010, 09:30 PM
its because most 7thgen owners dont know their heritage from their dipstick....its sad

One guy at the meet mentioned something along those lines.
Go post that in the Alltrac thread ;)

bzdweezy
08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
what kind of nazis do you have? i dont know any ordinance that wont allow you to work on your car on your property. tell them to efff off! now for help on your install and dyno tuning. my best friend Dave has a shop in Houston. http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=316590

Thanks for the link, I was working under the car port because the garage was a little tight on space and didn't have good lighting.

Now the exhaust I can't find a 3 inch cat back only 2.25inch. So would it effect performance to use the stock cat back?

Siyx: I try waving to other Celicas(all years) and usually don't get a response

Siyx
08-17-2010, 09:43 PM
We waved at every Celica we saw and the only one's we didn't get a wave back from (or any acknowledgment) were the 7th Gens. There was a silver 7th Gen that followed us for a while (he was cool) but we lost him in the twisties and dirt roads. He still didn't wave LOL

MCcelica
08-18-2010, 02:00 AM
I don't really feel like a snob. An asshole, yeah... cause I'd have wasted yall in the twisties... A snob? Not really. I'd wave... out my sunroof! :D

Weezy. If you're going for an insane setup, and can't find an exhaust that you like, you can always have a shop custom make you one. Depending on what shop you go to, it could be cheaper that way (sometimes).

bzdweezy
08-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Weezy. If you're going for an insane setup, and can't find an exhaust that you like, you can always have a shop custom make you one. Depending on what shop you go to, it could be cheaper that way (sometimes).

I am not doing anything insane..yet. I just want something quiet so not to draw attention to myself and be able to hear my engine and turbo rather than a loud exhaust note.

shocks
08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
right sorry if this has already been covered but i have only just got my celica and 2001 vvit 140 and the engine was knocking turns out its the big end bearings now i have been searching all forums for advice as on one somebody said you can drill two more holes

this is what was said
you want to drill out 2 extra oil holes in the main gallery of the block straight into the sump,its very easy to do and i will send you some pics of where to drill(this will help the oil circulate) any help you need pm me and i will give you any help you need.Ive done 3 of these now,should be able to complete the whole job in 2 days.Anyone else who wants this job doing let me know,can give you a good price
good luck

so does anybody know about this and if so can they forward pictures or a diagram so i can get onto this asap engine is coming out on monday 23rd august so will be good to get the company to do this when they take it out.

v3
08-25-2010, 06:29 PM
a lot, maybe around 2k. never had a shop do that kind of work but i know dyno tune is about 800-1000

I got my dyno tune from a local shop for $300, they did a bang on job too.

Got to look around.

But try to do most of the installation yourself, leave the tuning to a professional.

bzdweezy
08-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks v3 everthing is done i got it tuned the guy said that the base map that came with the power fc didn't help him at all he made his own maps but so far everything is working a/f is good at idle, the only thing is i think i hear turbo surge when shifting from WOT, it might just be the bov.

Is it ok for me to change to a colder plug? It should not mess with the tuning right?

Luni
08-26-2010, 10:43 PM
You SHOULD be on a colder plug if youre turboed. No, it wont affect tuning.

4thgenceli
08-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Why do people still think their 2005 celica's are worth 15k?

Luni
08-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Clean retail is around 13k for a good 05 GTS.

Night_Wolf
09-17-2010, 01:21 AM
Whats lift exactly?

donteatbugs
09-17-2010, 03:09 AM
its a secondary cam lobe that comes in around 6k rpm that adds more hp to the 2zz until redline.

Night_Wolf
09-17-2010, 11:11 PM
How does it activate?

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

^ Nvm to the above, I figured it out by searching the correct term VVTL Thanks!

wizzards581
09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
how do i know if someone replace lift bolts? if it still works but dont want to wait till the lift bolts breaks.

donteatbugs
09-29-2010, 09:53 PM
take them out and look at them is the only way to tell. the new ones are more pointed than the old style

wizzards581
10-01-2010, 05:14 PM
seems like the newer lift bolts wear. have anyone had them break or do they fix the problem permanently?

i also notice the 03+ celica 2zzge use drive by wire throttle, not sure about the matrix 2zzge, but i notice the 05-06 corolla 2zzge uses cable throttle. was there a reason to use the cable throttle 2zzge?

is there throttle response difference in the two 2zzge, throttle cable vs drive by wire?

SexyRedDred
09-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I've replaced the dual fan but now the engine fan will not come on at all. The fuses are good. Looking for a wiring diagram for the relay?