PDA

View Full Version : Have ST162? Have TWM Shifter?

RedRkt01
12-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Speak up if you have a TWM short shifter installed into your ST162. I need to talk to you.

4thgenceli
12-28-2009, 08:21 PM
What's up? I just installed mine.

Futant3
12-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Yup had it for years.

RedRkt01
12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Futant3, check PMs and come back here.

Tim, I'm using two spacers and the TWM bolts aren't long enough. What did you use instead? Also, the shifter doesn't want to move in any direction. What say you?

4thgenceli
12-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Futant3, check PMs and come back here.

Tim, I'm using two spacers and the TWM bolts aren't long enough. What did you use instead? Also, the shifter doesn't want to move in any direction. What say you?
You're doin something wrong :) lol.

I'll post pics of mine tonight (haven't put the console back so it's open).

I used all 12 washers.

IIRC..

You're only supposed to use 3 of the bolts in the package (as you keep the black bolt/nut on there). I ended up going 4x washers on each of the 3 bolts.

Mine clears just fine, I only have an issue engaging 5th/reverse. I need to slightly lift up on the shifter. The cup is catching a small edge of the base. I'm thinking of either lifting up the whole shifter assembly (another washer between the cup & base) or grinding/bending the base just a hair to make room for the cup.

RedRkt01
12-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Okay.......let me know. I'll reevaluate the work tonight when I get home.

Futant3
12-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I only had one spacer for the ball assembly part, and then IIRC only two washers in each corner although one was thicker than the other. You do keep the bolt for the front left corner (driver's side) and use the kit ones for the other 3. I remember the bolts barely fitting.

I only remember having a little trouble engaging 5th and being uncomfortable that it wouldn't pop out. Just did a little bending to the base under the shifter with a punch and hammer to fix that.

ChrisD
12-29-2009, 02:17 AM
I installed mine (165) and my brothers (162), didn't notice any big issues on the install... hm.

4thgenceli
12-29-2009, 04:39 AM
I only had one spacer for the ball assembly part, and then IIRC only two washers in each corner although one was thicker than the other. You do keep the bolt for the front left corner (driver's side) and use the kit ones for the other 3. I remember the bolts barely fitting.

I only remember having a little trouble engaging 5th and being uncomfortable that it wouldn't pop out. Just did a little bending to the base under the shifter with a punch and hammer to fix that.
Bingo..that's the issue I'm having. 5th/reverse won't engage fully.

I'll start wacking at the base tomorrow and make room for it ;) lol.

Shadowlife25
12-29-2009, 04:45 AM
You need to space the section I told you about higher Tim.

4thgenceli
12-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Yeah, but thrashing sounds much better (stress management lol).

Sorry Kev, ran outta light for pictures. I'll get some tomorrow for you. Is there anything specific you would like?

RedRkt01
12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I started messing with it yesterday after work......and it's a little better, but by no means functionally relevant to quick shifting. I guarentee a 162 with the stock truck shifter could switch gears faster than me at this point.

88st165
12-29-2009, 04:09 PM
When I installed mine back years ago I remember that I had to make my own spacers for it to operate to my liking. IMO the twm is a tad too short. Im currently looking for a 2in extention but if i dont find one Ill just have one machined.

RedRkt01
12-29-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm actually starting to think this is a high priced piece of shit. Everyone here has said there is one problem or another. The bolts are too short. The directions are a little too vague for the ST16x, hence the thread and the problems. This thing is really starting to piss me off.

4thgenceli
12-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm actually starting to think this is a high priced piece of shit. Everyone here has said there is one problem or another. The bolts are too short. The directions are a little too vague for the ST16x, hence the thread and the problems. This think is really starting to piss me off.
It fits in the 162 just fine.

I know why mine is giving me fits, its because one of my shifter cables is cocked just a hair (I had to spin it around).

Anyway, it wasn't that hard to install. I followed the directions provided and it fit perfectly. I used all the spacers provided & i am not hitting anything. Able to move 1-5th & reverse without any obstructions.

RedRkt01
12-29-2009, 08:05 PM
It fits in the 162 just fine.

I know why mine is giving me fits, its because one of my shifter cables is cocked just a hair (I had to spin it around).

Anyway, it wasn't that hard to install. I followed the directions provided and it fit perfectly. I used all the spacers provided & i am not hitting anything. Able to move 1-5th & reverse without any obstructions.

That's not happening for me.........and to think I can fly airplanes.....

rev_head
12-30-2009, 12:56 AM
ive always heard mixed results but mainly on the 5th and reverse hitting
same thing happened when i was fiddling with fitting a 204 shifter (believe it or not the shifter is longer after the pivot ball then the 205) anywho the best soultion i could come up with is grind a lil off the shifter housing. had a look and theres plenty of room tok take back the edge of the square cut out of the base of the housing and plenty of clearance to the body.

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 01:03 AM
ive always heard mixed results but mainly on the 5th and reverse hitting
same thing happened when i was fiddling with fitting a 204 shifter (believe it or not the shifter is longer after the pivot ball then the 205) anywho the best soultion i could come up with is grind a lil off the shifter housing. had a look and theres plenty of room tok take back the edge of the square cut out of the base of the housing and plenty of clearance to the body.
That's what mine was doing.

I used an air hammer and pounded down the drivers base bottom thing just a hair, and then ground the shift cable cup just a hair. Everything clears perfectly now.

RedRkt01
12-30-2009, 01:05 AM
If it doesn't come out of the box and work perfectly, per my expectations, it's shit.

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 01:14 AM
If it doesn't come out of the box and work perfectly, per my expectations, it's shit.
It does.... if you have a 165 :)

RedRkt01
12-30-2009, 02:51 AM
It does.... if you have a 165 :)
To give a spacer and call it a fix is inadequate....you kow?

88st165
12-30-2009, 05:18 AM
I had the same feelings after i got done installing mine. You pay a shit ton of money it better fit perfect! Oh well, thats why im not buying one for my white 165. The stock one is plenty fine for daily driving. If i want a shorter throw ill go with the 18x or 20x shifter mod.

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Kev... here you go. You can see where I took the air hammer and curved the base just a hair. I also ground the corner slightly off of the cup that was hitting that edge there.
http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Celibaby/normal_DSCN2143.JPG (http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Celibaby/DSCN2143.JPG)
Here's the top with the washers. You can see there's clearly an assload of thread left on the bolts provided in the kit.
http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Celibaby/normal_DSCN2141.JPG (http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Celibaby/DSCN2141.JPG)
Installed. Left-TWM Right-stock
http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Celibaby/normal_DSCN2147.JPG (http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Celibaby/DSCN2147.JPG) http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Celibaby/normal_DSCN1982.JPG (http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Celibaby/DSCN1982.JPG)

RedRkt01
12-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I don't have that much thread. Did you remove the original bottom cup for the pivot ball? I found that part to be confusing in the directions; It first says to remove, then to replace. I've tried it both ways and neither seems to work correctly.

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 06:18 PM
If you're talking about that black cup, yes.

I removed everything from the stock shifter.

When I installed in, I put the provided spacer on, and then the black cup on top of said spacer. On the cup I put the shifter, etc etc.

RedRkt01
12-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Exactly how mine is. I don't get it.

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Exactly how mine is. I don't get it.
Have any pictures at all of what's not workin?

RedRkt01
12-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I'll do that tonight

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I think I know what you did wrong...

In the directions, step 13 (after you place the new space & plastic cup on the shifter base), when you placed the metal case around the whole assembly, did you route the other piece above or below the upper metal case?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/Untitled-2.png

left side of picture, the piece sitting on top of the base. That should go on top of the metal case, not between the base & the metal case.

That sounds like where you're issue is at. If you put that between the 2 instead of on top, I don't think the bolts will reach all the way through.

RedRkt01
12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I did it like you with the arm on top of the cover on top of the washers on top of the base.

I'm starting to thing that I have a quirk in the production of my Celica parts....something different might have happen on the assembly line.

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I did it like you with the arm on top of the cover on top of the washers on top of the base.

I'm starting to thing that I have a quirk in the production of my Celica parts....something different might have happen on the assembly line.
Then I really don't f'ing know :)

Pics would help though. I posted the pics I took, I can go & strip it down and reinstall if if you'd like for some detailed pics.

RedRkt01
12-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Let me get mine up first before you go spending time on that.

4thgenceli
12-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Let me get mine up first before you go spending time on that.
Mk, LMK.

I can have it stripped & installed in 15 minutes with pics.

4thgenceli
01-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Kev,

Any updates? curious as to what the hell's going on with yours.

RedRkt01
01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Not yet. Been busy this weekend. Maybe today.

4thgenceli
01-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Not yet. Been busy this weekend. Maybe today.
I'm still curious dood....

RedRkt01
01-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I know I need to get on that, but that's kinda in stand still mode since I have so many other things to do. Currently I'm assembling the 3SGE. I'm replacing all the external gastkets and seals. I have the front side of the engine assembled. Tonight begins the rear.

4thgenceli
01-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I know I need to get on that, but that's kinda in stand still mode since I have so many other things to do. Currently I'm assembling the 3SGE. I'm replacing all the external gastkets and seals. I have the front side of the engine assembled. Tonight begins the rear.
Awesome. Thinking tonight I'll get the rest of the engine bolted together (accessories, exhaust manifold, etc).

You have my # if you need anything Kev.

RedRkt01
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Awesome. Thinking tonight I'll get the rest of the engine bolted together (accessories, exhaust manifold, etc).

You have my # if you need anything Kev.

I actually think I do somewhere, but send it over via PM just in case. I'll get you mine as well.

4thgenceli
01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I actually think I do somewhere, but send it over via PM just in case. I'll get you mine as well.
My GoogleVoice is in my profile, I'll PM you my cell/home.

RedRkt01
04-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Tim, you were right.....of course. I dremeled out a bunch of the bottom of the shift base and now the bottom bucket clears everthing. I'm also only using one of the TWM spacers. So I think this thing is going to work just fine.