PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Shoping

XXX_Mina
12-06-2004, 06:07 AM
Okay, time to shop for a turbo, iam getting like 1500-3k in jan to play with.... iam thinking of getting the extremeboost.com's t3 adapter , downpipe and externalwastegate and just bolting on any decent turbo with 3s exhaust houseing... i was looking at the Street Heat 46 (http://www.innovativeturbo.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00105.3.3442265175418396226) ... should i pay the extra 1k for the ball bearing? do i need a fast spooling turbo? iam FWD...

So this is my shopping list:
CNC T3 Adapter Plate With Wastegate Port $ 295 USD
Street Heat 46 400+ HP $830
Oil Lines : $100-200
T3 Downpipe: $280-350
Bigger fuel injectors: ????
External Wastegate: $100
Polyerathane Mount inserts : 80-120
total: about 1700+ shipping+ labor

any comments? where can i get injectors for 3rd gen, 850cc, currently using 550cc stock ones. and anyone know what else i should get now? i already got Standalone, forged pistons, and the axels to support the power... and 3rd gen tranny seems very strong.

Mina

ChrisD
12-06-2004, 06:18 AM
I'd stay away from extremeboost...they have a pretty poor reputation around the mr2 board, and I've seen personally how slowly they tend to do business. You dont want to end up waiting a few months for one little essential part.

Injectors: Blitz makes 850cc/min side feed injectors. www.fensport.com has them. Expensive though. You might do better buying a top feed rail + injectors from ChrisK depending on price.

How much power do you want? Hard to recommend a turbo without knowing your goals, or what kind of driving experience you are looking for.

XXX_Mina
12-06-2004, 06:29 AM
450-550 hp... i got all i need for it engine wise + water injection, just need the turbo and the injectors ... who else makes an adapter like that???? and how much is the top feed and injectors? whose ChrisK?

Mina

XXX_Mina
12-06-2004, 06:33 AM
whats HKS's and Blitz website? i need part numbers for the Blitz side rails or for the HKS fuel rail and it's injectors.

Mina

Hooligan
12-06-2004, 01:40 PM
whats HKS's and Blitz website? i need part numbers for the Blitz side rails or for the HKS fuel rail and it's injectors.

Mina

www.google.com

People are not going to hold your hand here, little boy.

gt_turbo
12-07-2004, 01:48 AM
what do you mean 3rd gen tranny? are you using a mr2 3rd gen tranny? also if you want a big turbo $3k will probably be about the price your going to pay, but then you won't have any money for anything else. i'm thinkin gt35 600+hp but that might be just a bit too much for you.

JGS3SGE
12-07-2004, 03:15 AM
www.atpturbo.com has much nicer priced true GT bb turbos...
The GT3071 is an great turbo.
If you want to stay standard bearing, you can NOT go wrong with a T3/T04E .50 trim compressor, Stg. 3 (or TA31) turbine wheel, and a 4 bolt turbine housing (.63 or .48 A/R). The turbo has been proven time and time again to make great power do to its wide efficency range...500WHP is possible if you have the right motor/fuel/etc, screw that .46 trim. External wastegate is a MUST :D But plan on spending at least $200 unless you want a cheapo made in china POS e-bay special.

As for the adapter, 2 flanges and some square tubing works wonders (as seen on my car). For $295, your getting close to the price of a complete manifold. There are plenty of non-wastegate adapters out there, one of those with a wastegate flange added to the stock manifold works really well too.

Mike431635
12-07-2004, 06:39 AM
You should be able to find a tubular manifold for $295, that's an insane price for that part.

Remember, don't go with anything *too* huge that you don't get power until just before redline :D Bigger isn't always better. Personally I think you should just go with JGS's suggestion: T3/T04E.

Conrad_Turbo
12-07-2004, 06:51 AM
God damn that's an expensive adapter! Bah. I am sure I could build them for much less...but I'd use lasercut parts and make a weldment instead of having a part CNC'd. But I don't have a T3 or a donor exhaust manifold to get the bolt pattern.

ChrisD
12-07-2004, 07:56 AM
450-550 hp... i got all i need for it engine wise + water injection, just need the turbo and the injectors ... who else makes an adapter like that???? and how much is the top feed and injectors? whose ChrisK?

Mina

ChrisK: engine building guru type guy from the mr2 boards. Web site: http://www.enginelogics.com/

Blitz and HKS web sites...just check google. I said fensport carries the blitz injectors.

As for turbo...there are some nice GT BB turbo's out there...I also like the T3/T4 Streetbrawler that would fit your application.

T-spoon
12-08-2004, 12:51 AM
ChrisKs fuel rail is less expensive than I'd have thought, and is very nice. To my inexpert eye at least, his stuff looks really great. He even makes the fuel rail so that the stock FPR can screw right in

Playfortoday
12-08-2004, 01:22 AM
whats HKS's and Blitz website? i need part numbers for the Blitz side rails or for the HKS fuel rail and it's injectors. Mina

Wow. :thumbsdow

Luni
12-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Hey Mina just send me your Ct20b when youre done with it.

G-man
12-08-2004, 02:42 AM
I also like the T3/T4 Streetbrawler that would fit your application.

The street brawler will NOT fit a 6th gen celica with a 3sgte. The external waste gate sits too high. On a ST165 with a swapped 2nd gen 3sgte, part of the underside of the hood can be cut to make it fit.

Snafu
12-08-2004, 03:51 AM
God damn that's an expensive adapter! Bah. I am sure I could build them for much less...but I'd use lasercut parts and make a weldment instead of having a part CNC'd. But I don't have a T3 or a donor exhaust manifold to get the bolt pattern.

Do you need a physical piece? or would just a template work out. I've already manufactured in Autodesk Inventor most flanges, ranging from T3 to Mitsubishi flanges, also IHI. They're to scale, and all inch thick. Would this help? I'm sure you can do it in no time flat, but if it would help, lemme know.

Colin

ChrisD
12-08-2004, 03:59 AM
The street brawler will NOT fit a 6th gen celica with a 3sgte. The external waste gate sits too high. On the 5th gen, part of the underside of the hood can be cut to make it fit.

Wow, good to know! :)

Lagos
12-08-2004, 04:15 AM
it might fit a 6th gen with a gt4 hood. that hood sort of bubbles up right at the exhaust manifold area.

Mina, it seems that at those high HP levels, you would need to got to a standalone ecu system, right?

Conrad_Turbo
12-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Do you need a physical piece? or would just a template work out. I've already manufactured in Autodesk Inventor most flanges, ranging from T3 to Mitsubishi flanges, also IHI. They're to scale, and all inch thick. Would this help? I'm sure you can do it in no time flat, but if it would help, lemme know.

Colin
Well personally I trust my measurements over anyone else's...since I have access to 1/2 mil worth of measuring equipment and I'm trained in the field. Besides I just don't want to build an adapter and find the holes have to be reamed out to get it to fit on a stud, if you know what I mean? Haha.

I have a few flanges in my collecton (here are 2 that I reverse engineered and laser cut for the Starlet http://ace.tupeck.com/flange_cutting.asp) as well, all mine came from my own measurements of physical pieces. I would perfer a physical piece as I could get the measurements very precise, but a template could work as well...but definately wouldn't be as ideal.

If you have some templates you'd want to share you can send them to my email addy conradandres at hotmail dot com. :)

XXX_Mina
12-13-2004, 05:22 AM
it might fit a 6th gen with a gt4 hood. that hood sort of bubbles up right at the exhaust manifold area.

Mina, it seems that at those high HP levels, you would need to got to a standalone ecu system, right?

what do you mean 3rd gen tranny? are you using a mr2 3rd gen tranny? also if you want a big turbo $3k will probably be about the price your going to pay, but then you won't have any money for anything else. i'm thinkin gt35 600+hp but that might be just a bit too much for you.

I have a standalone, i have forged pistons, i got water injection, i got axel setup thats supposed to hold that much power... the 3rd gen mr2 tranny has been great so far and can handle it... my tires are shit, my suspension is stock, my brakes are 1 piston and drums in the back (stock) , my car weight is 2730lb...

i found a t3/t4 with a 60-1 compresser for $380-400 , i'll post more details as soon as i talk to the guy...

i want the adaptor because i can keep the stock heatshield and i wont have problems fitting it / it getting too close to my intercooler piping... its an expensive adapter, but who else makes one? jamasco said they made thier own but they went threw hell to make it and they dont wanna make another one.... iam getting the turbo this friday, and the adapter two weeks later... HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS WITH EXTREMEBOOST"S ADAPTER? whats going on with them, why do they have bad rep on mr2 boards?

also, does anyone have a cheap , cheap , and working ct26... like iam looking to pay $150 at the most...

Mina

Luni
12-13-2004, 07:35 AM
Mina, you know after reading your last post, I think before you put any more money and effort into your performance, you need to upgrade your suspension/braking system pronto or you are going to end up hurting yourself and someone else when you cant slow the thing down cause of all the power you are making.

As it is you already are exceeding your stock suspension and braking system tolerances I think. I don think it is safe for you to be adding more HP without addressing issues with your handling/stopping.

T-spoon
12-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Werd to Luniman, control before power :)

Mike431635
12-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Ditto what Luni said. You're not my favorite person, but I definitely don't wanna see you get hurt man.

If I were you I'd look into converting the rear brakes to discs and buying the big brake kit that's for sale on the Buying/Selling board right now. It's for a 5th gen but it'll fit your car.

And of course, suspension. If I were you, I'd get coilovers.

gt_turbo
12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
extreme boost has a bad rep because they ripped off a bunch off ppl, buy taking their money and never getting any products in return... some ppl have lost thousands. if i were them i would take that shit to court with my transaction reciepts

Playfortoday
12-14-2004, 01:01 AM
It insn't just that. It was so much more including them coming out with a turbo package with promised gains that fell flat on its face. If you are not registered at mr2oc, it is worth a look. They even made a sticky dedicated to complaints against this guy.

MR2OC ExtremeBoost Complaint Sticky (http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=65274)

JGS3SGE
12-14-2004, 01:11 AM
I'm on stock brakes... but I now have rear discs :)
Not much different IMO... Hi-po brake pads, ss lines, and drilled rotors should be your next purchase... that'll make the best OH SHIT stop. Bigger rotors, multi-pistons calipers, etc. don't make much difference in the 60-0... if anything they make it worse. I will say they do work better for 100+ to 0 stops tho :)
My cars damn scary @ only 5 psi with my setup, I have pads and lines on the way.
A T3/60-1 is going to be kind a surgey on a 3S, not much power till 4K no matter what turbine housing you use. You can only spin up a compressor so fast in relation to flow/RPM and while you might see boost lower than 4K... you won't get crap for power, just alot of hot air or surging.
IMO T3/60-1 = over kill for your power goals, why have extra lag that you don't need.

JGS3SGE
12-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Mina, how long are you looking at to install your turbo? There might be a good vendor that'll have adapters a month or so :wink:
And it sure as hell won't be $295.

Luni
12-14-2004, 01:25 AM
Mina, how long are you looking at to install your turbo? There might be a good vendor that'll have adapters a month or so :wink:
And it sure as hell won't be $295.

What are you referring to?

JGS3SGE
12-14-2004, 01:41 AM
I finally decided to make some taller wastegated CT26 turbo adapters, just waiting for a CNC machine put them on.
Not sure whether they should be SS or just steel... :???: Nice or cheap...

Luni
12-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Oh I thought you might be referring to my endeavor with Conrad to get an adapter to put a native mitsu turbo (TDO5 16G, TDO6 20G) etc.

Good stuffs.

Mike431635
12-14-2004, 01:55 AM
Oh I thought you might be referring to my endeavor with Conrad to get an adapter to put a native mitsu turbo (TDO5 16G, TDO6 20G) etc.

Good stuffs.

I still really want to see that get done! So snap to it :P

Snafu
12-14-2004, 03:41 AM
Sorry for the late reply Conrad. All of my flange files have measurements that have been taken by hand, by me. I'd really be interested in a t3/t4 flange for the stock manifold. What can we do for you in order to make that happen?

XXX_Mina
12-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Sorry for the late reply Conrad. All of my flange files have measurements that have been taken by hand, by me. I'd really be interested in a t3/t4 flange for the stock manifold. What can we do for you in order to make that happen?

Yeah, save me trouple of dealing with extremeboost... I need someone now thou, iam looking to fix my car really really soon, within the next two or three paychecks, before i spend my money on something else... i bought a $500 RC car, sportwrecks mayhem RTR.... the thing is fun, but i know that money would've been more well spent on my car.... but oah well.

also, as far as my brakes and suspension... just because i have 500hp, doesnt mean i'am gonna use 500 hp... i'll upgrade as soon as the oppourtunity presents itself... i really have my eye set on a full gt-4 brake set-up...

as for the turbo, the car is FWD, as long as it doesnt bog on me, i dont want that much power at less than 4k... or else i spin... FWD cars dont need fast spooling turbos... and once i get out of first gear, i wont even see less than 4k....

Mina

JGS3SGE
12-14-2004, 03:45 PM
as for the turbo, the car is FWD, as long as it doesnt bog on me, i dont want that much power at less than 4k... or else i spin... FWD cars dont need fast spooling turbos... and once i get out of first gear, i wont even see less than 4k....

You might be right about the slower spooling turbo being ok, but the bigger the turbo, the more switch like response it has...and this will automatically blow your traction all to hell :D Some of my cars have that issue so I can tell you it sucks in the driveablity aspect. A medium sized turbo like the T3/T04E .50 will make the fastest setup when the slicks are off.
www.cheapturbo.com has brand new ones for ~550.

XXX_Mina
12-17-2004, 05:50 AM
iam looking at a turbo now for $400... my worries is the injector...
"Package deal shipping included for a top feed fuel rail with a - 8 an fitting on the intake and a -6 an fitting on the outlet And 4 x 83 lb injectors will be $630.00."
and the adapter , and the downpipe .... i got big shopping list.. my funds right now are at $456

Mina

Conrad_Turbo
12-17-2004, 02:18 PM
I'd really prefer to have the turbo measured by myself, I know it's a simple hole-to-hole bolt pattern...but my measurements are accurate to within plus/minus 0.001mm. That way I leave more tolerance in the lasercutting process to plus/minus 0.25mm, that way I can ensure that things fit properly.

If I could get a T3/T4 turbo shipped up to measure that'd be ideal, otherwise I couldn't guarantee fitment. FYI I could build a batch of T3/T4 adapters while I build Luni's Mitsu adapter, it'd actually be easier doing it that way.

XXX_Mina
12-17-2004, 10:58 PM
okay, i asked about the turbo: $400
t3/t4 60-1 wheel, exhaust .63 ar

as for the flange, i need it asap, i want my car running before jan...

Mina

G-man
12-20-2004, 07:24 AM
The street brawler will NOT fit a 6th gen celica with a 3sgte. The external waste gate sits too high. On the 5th gen, part of the underside of the hood can be cut to make it fit.

I got this wrong. The street brawler was installed with hood modifications on a ST165 with a swapped 2nd gen 3sgte. I cannot comment on fitment on the 5th gen. I do know that it will not work on the 6th gen because I took measurements myself. Original post corrected. My apologies for the confusion.

ChrisD
12-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Mina, you can get the adaptor from a couple places. Do a few google searches and I'm sure something will pop up. Maybe give ATS racing a call, I bet even they could set you up or point you in the right direction.

XXX_Mina
12-21-2004, 08:31 AM
the money saving process is taking too long, i think iam just gonna gof or the ct26 upgrade .... i was promised 450hp with it and its only gonna cost me $1200. 900 for parts, 300 labor to install turbo and water injection. and i still maintain the stock turbo look

or should i spend $400 on turbo $1000 on external wastegate, downpipe, and adapter packadge , and then $650 on injectors and god knows how much on labor.

Mina

ChrisD
12-21-2004, 06:42 PM
450hp on a ct26 upgrade? hmm not likely. If you are talking about the CT27, it is only a very small upgrade over the CT20b. It has only been tested up to 310whp. The choice is yours of course, but what often happens is that you either can be happy with what you have, or be prepared to spend a lot more money getting everything "right".

Here's a thought. If you are looking at some upgrades to get some more power, why not consider cams and/or an intake manifold upgrade? With tuning, you could add quite a bit more power without having to upgrade your turbo system or likely your fuel.

G-man
12-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Mina:

Look at the ATS TD06 kit. Its what I am likely going to buy. The wastegate is mounted so as not to interfere with the hood and it is a direct bolt on with dyno performance in the range you are seeking. Cams and Intake manifold makes sense too. However, if it were me, I would upgrade your suspension and brakes before you spend another dollar on speed.

Best regards.

Jay.

XXX_Mina
12-25-2004, 07:09 PM
the reason iam upgrading the turbo system, is that my ct20b is blown... its been blown, my car has been down for over a month now...

as for the ct26 upgrade, its supposed to be a 60-1 upgrade, not sure what kind of exhaust housing upgrade... i gotta aska gain about it...

I might just leave it all in jamasco's hands and let them deal with it....i'll just give them a power range and a money range...

Mina

Snafu
12-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Why not just rebuild the ct20b?

T-spoon
12-26-2004, 04:08 AM
Why not just rebuild the ct20b?

Honestly, if you're going to have a rebuilt (which is what an upgraded turbo is), you might as well stick with the CT20b. If you wanted to upgrade for power and reliability, you wouldn't want a rebuilt toyota turbo. Upgraded CT26s can make some power and are not bad turbos, but they are no good for high boost in terms of reliability. If you are already predisposed to breaking things, you might consider actually getting something that can take a bit of a beating instead of doing it..well.. half-assed (and I don't mean that rudely, just can't think of a better way to say it atm). If you want to keep your setup somewhat moderate, either the CT20b or the upgraded ct26 are good options, but you don't leave things moderate, you're always wanting more and more to play with, so I forsee that if you get the rebuilt toyota turbo, it'll be overtaxed and the seals will crap out and you'll be turbo shopping again in 6 months.

Luni
12-26-2004, 04:41 AM
I still think you should address your braking/suspension issues before you do anything with the turbo but thats just me.

XXX_Mina
12-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Luni- get it threw your head: braking and suspension is kindave useless when the car is not running...

and after reading that and doing a little thinking, iam leaning toward the new turbo now. as for my ct20b , its gonne be sent to ats for rebuild and from there its gonna be sent to highest bidder... bidding starts at whatever the price of the rebuild is.

The turbo i wanted to buy is sold... iam looking at a percision turbo now .58 ar 60-1 turbine

Mina

Luni
12-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Ok whatever. You have a history of coming on and asking advice and then doing whatever anyway. So as far as Im concerned, and Im sure its no skin off your back Im not going to be participating in any of your threads anymore because all you do is waste everyones time on here. This entire thread has been a waste of mine and everyone elses time as far as Im concerned.

Do your own research, figure it out yourself. You already have all the answers right?