PDA

View Full Version : Gen 6 Convertible - origin?

Beano
12-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Verdana
Hello all, and Merry Christmas etc - I read the following extract from another thread:
1995 saw the introduction of the third generation convertible. Built off of the GT Coupe model, the conversion takes place in the ASC facility in Rancho Dominguez, Calif. The vehicle arrives in the U.S. as a partially assembled vehicle. At ASC, the roof is removed and a three-layer insulated and power-operated top is installed, producing a vehicle that is virtually water and wind proof. - (by '3rd Gen Convert' I assume it means that the Gen 6 cars included the 3rd 'provision' of a convertible model?)

So OK? does this mean that my Japanese home market model was originally sent to the States to be 'converted', then shipped back to Japan to be sold retail? The motors which drive the soft top up and down are certainly American made. Then it was shipped to UK as a used car in 2006 and its mine now - and I like it.
Any info on history of manufacture appreciated, thanks.
Beano.

Murgatroy
12-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I am not sure about the 6th gen models, however, they would have been the 4th Generation of Convertible. 3rd, 4th, 5th and finally 6th Gens offered the only 'factory' convertible options.

ASC performed the conversions here in the states, as far as abroad, I am not sure. I don't know if they would have been shipped here, modified and then shipped back. That seems a bit ludicrous from a financial standpoint.

I think it is more likely that the car was modified in Japan by a different company (possibly ASC) for the JDM market.

Galcobar
12-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I expect they would have shipped the conversion components (smaller shipment) to Japan (one-way, versus two) rather than bouncing the car back and forth. Economies of scale suggest they'd have used the same components for all conversions.

njccmd2002
01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
check your door jam, it should have the company that performend it, like mine in the usa was asc, but it could be that japan the verts vere directly made there.

Beano
01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks folks - probably explains all I need to know
- only thing remaining is to repair the left side electric motor that drives my soft top - some means of fixing the pinion to the shaft since the 'half-way' pins broke. I'm considering grinding a shallow groove in both shaft & pinion and forcing a tiny piece of 0.25mm twist drill into the gap.

Smaay
01-05-2010, 04:08 PM
google your problem, i think i remember seeing a fix for that somewhere, you know what, it might be on 6gc.net

Beano
01-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I've seen a few items on repairing the motor - there seems to be conflicting opinions as to how the bevel pinion is fixed to the motor shaft. The shaft is only a quarter inch diameter and on mine, the pin definitely does NOT go right through the shaft, but two short pins go one third of the way in from each side. These pins are obviously a tight fit and are not available as spares. Roll pins do not work (I have tried)
Roger

njccmd2002
01-06-2010, 02:36 PM
6gc.net has the how to, i did not use a pin, i used a titanium drill bit. on both. its been 2 years. cut the drill part and put the solid part..

Beano
01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Did you use two 'short' pins on each motor? Or did you drill through the shaft and use one pin? I think I read your item in 6gc a while back. Car is currently in storage, we have a foot of snow here. (North East England)

IllIllIll
01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
6gc.net has the how to, i did not use a pin, i used a titanium drill bit. on both. its been 2 years. cut the drill part and put the solid part..

That's exactly what I did. I used a drill bit because I had to drill out the broken pin. I believe I drilled the whole way through both parts. I made mine slightly oversized since I used either a metric drill bit instead of a fractional one. It's worked in my convertible for 3 or 4 years now so I don't remember all the details. Still works.

Now I have a problem with the rear windows, & I'm sure I'm not the only one. We need a solution to the broken plastic wheels for those windows. They aren't available from Toyota unless you buy the whole assembly for over $100. Anyone have a lathe & willing to machine some up for us vert owners.? :bigthumbu

Beano
01-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Ha! the rear windows! The plastic wheels on my Left Side rear window broke up. I wasn't into 150+ for the assembly so I found a complete secondhand rear window. It wasn't until I got the old one out I realised that the 'new' one was for the gen7! Nothing daunted, I dismantled both assemblies, punched the rivetted wheel axles out of the metal plates and re-rivetted the ones from the Gen7 plate into the Gen 6 plate and tacked them with a MIG to make sure they stayed there. Getting the whole thing out and in again was tedious - use Blu-Tack on the spanner to hold the nuts - if they fall into the body shell you'll never see them again.
It wouldn't be easy to make and fit new wheels, they are a really tight pop-fit on the ball ends of the axles, which are rivetted to the steel plate. Oddly, ONE of the 'axles' on the Gen7 plate is a bolt-in fitting - why not ALL? then they could be easily replaced as a wheel & axle unit.

KoreanJoey
01-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Pretty sure ASC did ALL of the toyota convertibles (Celica, Solara, whatever else)