PDA

View Full Version : 4 seater to 5 seater?

acidice333
12-16-2009, 06:27 AM
So I've seen pictures of the rear middle seat as an actual seat (seatbelt).. is there part numbers or some way to add a seat belt?

I have extra buckles, but I wanna know more about the other part (the belt)

Would be nice since I almost got a ticket for 5 people in a 4 seat belt car.

Galcobar
12-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Someone might have pulled a simple lap belt out of another car and used the existing bolt holes to hold it -- though I'm not certain how safe that would be.

I ran into a similar situation once. Get-together two years after high school, batch of us had hit a club. I generally don't drink, so I was sober to drive people home. Had four people who needed a ride, and of course only four "seats."

One of them was feeling gastricly unstable, so he got the front seat with the window and the barf bags in the glove box. In the back we stuffed three people -- one of them six-foot-six. The girl in the middle seat was pretty wedged in, but it got interesting as I got across the bridge into our city. Police roadblock, drinking and driving check. Girl in the middle puts her purse in her lap and wraps her arms around it, so you can't see her waist (not that much of her was visible anyway).

I roll up to the stop, roll down the window: "Anything to drink tonight?" "They have, I haven't." He kind of hesitated, and I can never decide if he was debating whether to check me or the back of the car, then waved us through. I figure even if he suspected the lack of a fifth seatbelt he let it go in the case of a designated driver.

acidice333
12-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Ah I got the part #s.. didn't want to install the EPC but I did.

73330-20390-B0 and 73340-20140-B0
One is the belt, the other is the buckle in Shadow Gray.

...but since we're in North America, I will have to settle with ordering the center belt from a Tercel or possibily from a Yaris

lalojamesliz
12-16-2009, 09:20 AM
when i saw the title of this thread i thought FINALLY!!!! but i thought you installed a bench seat in the back :( when i bought my all-trac my family size was 4 and right after i bought it my family grew to 5 lol but your seat belt is good enough for me :)

Doctor Jinxed
12-16-2009, 10:06 AM
lol man if it could be helped i refused to torture my friends with having even one person in the backseat unless they were a tiny female.

I really just considered the backseat area as quick accesses storage for my bags 'en groceries. =p

balang_479
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Even if you did mount the extra belt and seat couldnt they still give you a ticket as the car is not homologated for 5 people? it would happen here...

METDeath
12-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Well, if you had a three seat rear seat imported to go with the seat belt, I imagine they can't do much... however, I have only ever had three people in my car... ever. Except maybe once at a convention, and then everyone was female and under 5'5"

acidice333
12-16-2009, 08:36 PM
all I do know is here's what some of the (5g) Celica's (even some 6g) look like in the back seat.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nosmose/102_3901.jpg

METDeath
12-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh wow... so it really is just a bolt on... no seat changing. Sucks to be the guy in the middle.

DudeMan
12-16-2009, 11:44 PM
I think it was just the JDM models that had a middle seat belt.

My friends always bitched about cramming back there but I guess the Japanese are a little smaller.

wizzards581
12-17-2009, 01:52 AM
barely fit 2 adults back there.

KoreanJoey
12-17-2009, 03:52 AM
I've had 6 people in the celi before... I was DD.

Doctor Jinxed
12-17-2009, 05:16 AM
lol don't the 7th Gens back seats literally have NO leg room? I think when my one of my buddies used to own a GT-S, I remember him showing me that his front seats don't stop sliding back till they hit the back row.

But as bad as that was, his Tiburon (which he got after some guy T-Boned his GT-S) was heads and shoulders worse. As in if you had a head and shoulders you couldn't sit in the backseat. :hehe: (shut up, that line made me feel clever)