PDA

View Full Version : Front vs. Rear strut tower bars for ST185s

ccsouls
12-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Does anyone have any knowledge on the usefulness of the rear strut tower bar on the ST185.

I can tell you with certainty the front is a positive addition because in the last SCCA race I ran the factory bar for my first 3 runs, then switched to the Cusco bar for the next 3 runs and there was a noticable improvement in the turning response. Turned in MUCH better.

However, I have heard adding the rear may actually hurt that improvement.

Anyone know the truth. What about it Joey?

Thanks.

gt4tified
12-23-2009, 05:47 AM
However, I have heard adding the rear may actually hurt that improvement.Thanks.

Whoever said that either has no idea of how to tune a suspension or are complete dolts at geometry.

The addition of a front brace assists with turn-in, as you described, since it lessens body roll due to chassis flex.

The addition of a rear sway bar helps reduce how sloppy the rear of the car turns in, as well as it puts the car more into a neutral steering position. I am currently investigating the additional support a trunk bar (eg C-ONE) provides.

I think from what I have seen, that with a properly designed rear strut bar and an aftermarket rear sway bar, your handling will improve dramatically on a ST185.

joe's gt
12-23-2009, 06:21 AM
I have to do more research on vehicle handling and dynamics, but I don't see how reducing chassis flex everywhere (both front and rear) wouldn't be an improvement.

ccsouls
12-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Whoever said that either has no idea of how to tune a suspension or are complete dolts at geometry.

The addition of a front brace assists with turn-in, as you described, since it lessens body roll due to chassis flex.

The addition of a rear sway bar helps reduce how sloppy the rear of the car turns in, as well as it puts the car more into a neutral steering position. I am currently investigating the additional support a trunk bar (eg C-ONE) provides.

I think from what I have seen, that with a properly designed rear strut bar and an aftermarket rear sway bar, your handling will improve dramatically on a ST185.

Excellent! Thank you.

I appreciate the input.

RIalltrac
12-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Just chiming in because I have both an upgraded rear sway and rear strut tower bar, both whiteline products. I didnt get the tower bar until a year or so after doing the sway bar.....the sway bar in it self was a great upgrade, but once I put that strut bar on...the rear end was completely solid. I definately felt like I had more control of the rear of the car taking fast sharp turns. Take it for what its worth...but I wouldnt take it off and I would be hard to convince it wasnt worth putting on in the first place.

ccsouls
02-23-2010, 11:51 PM
OK everyone....

I spent the entire weekend testing the rear strut tower bar at our regions first SCCA event of 2010.

Saturday was "Test & Tune", Sunday was race day.

Started test and tune with regular settings, then after two runs added Ryan's rear strut tower bar.

The addition did clean up the rear end in the slolum....which was why I wanted it. Car's rear end was noticably less "sloppy" in high speed slolums with the bar on. However, it did add a little understeer in the rest of the course.

For the afternoon runs, slowly began backing off my Megan front rebound until the understeer was gone and it was back to normal handling charactoristics. It took 4 clicks softer to do this.

Sunday, car handled great and was able to add 5-8 MPH in the slolum without fear of the rear end getting sloppy and stepping out.

Damn thing works...just soften the front slightly to compensate for the added understeer and go kick ass.

Won my class, finished 2nd overall in PAX...and believe me that is saying something for me as I am not that good. More importantly, I smoked those damn Subarus by almost 2 seconds, and I promise you they are better than me and may even have more HP.

Add it....it helps.

My 2 cents.

grayscale
02-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow, good work!

celicaturbo700
02-24-2010, 12:57 AM
great job!!

Murgatroy
02-24-2010, 04:20 AM
God job!

It is great to have real world experience with it.

VikingJZ
02-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Its nice to know that they work for sure in your own car.

Its also nice to know that one of our members had the ingenuity to come up with the idea for an affordable brace that has the same functionality as a brace that costs three times more, but produces the same result.

I plan on adding them to my Del Sol if I end up keeping it (Volvo hunting again. I regret selling my white one). The nice thing about Hondas is the abundance of aftermarket parts. I can get a front strut tower bar, rear in trunk strut tower bar, and lower front and rear tie bars for $50. I do not have a strut tower brace at all on the car, and it would help.

Nice job CC! And hats off to Ryan for doing the braces for people. It seems like everyone is happy with the results.

joe's gt
02-24-2010, 07:00 AM
cc, are you using the megan coilover setup, or just the springs?

UndaGrwnD
05-21-2010, 05:04 PM
anyone got a link to ryan's topic where you can buy the rear strut brace? because i cant find it anymore.