PDA

View Full Version : midpipe anyone?

lalojamesliz
12-12-2009, 04:29 AM
i recently saw how crappy the stock midpipe is on our st185's :( i want to go to my local muffler shop and ask how much they would build me a stainless steel 3" mid pipe but they might offer it for even less if anyone else would want one... so anyone also intrested? what is a good price besides the aussie stainless for $515 :eek: the stock midpipe really gets small were the secondary cat. is huh :( BTW that shop im talking about has a really good reputation for quality work http://bobsmuffler.com/

Shadowlife25
12-12-2009, 04:34 AM
The Aussie unit is heavy and way overpriced Ed.

Maybe one of the other guys can provide a REPUTABLE place to purchase another.
Do NOT, I repeat NOT get anything from 935motorsports.

I am using a modified ST205 MP on my AllTrac.
Seems to work fine now after some spacers and some "massaging" (hammering)
My MP is one of the SSAC 3" units.

lalojamesliz
12-12-2009, 04:51 AM
if that shop asks too much ill go with your route Mario :) thanks for the info buddy.

ChrisD
12-12-2009, 05:40 AM
Looks like they can do mandrel bends, cool. Just don't let them tell you a 3" can't fit. I've heard that more times than I can count, drives me nuts!

I've got an Aussie MP on the 165 and an XS Power/SSAC MP on the 205. No issues with either. I'm not sure, but XS may be low on stock on the 185 units tho...however their prices are really unbeatable.

Also, I 2nd the motion to NOT EVER purchase anything from 935.

lalojamesliz
12-12-2009, 01:13 PM
wow 935 must have really messed up lol which 3" hi flo catilytic converter do you guys recomend i get? any links to the xs midpipe?

ChrisD
12-12-2009, 06:09 PM
http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1484

KM
12-12-2009, 07:23 PM
wow 935 must have really messed up lol which 3" hi flo catilytic converter do you guys recomend i get? any links to the xs midpipe?

There's a problem with them just simply not shipping parts.

Carolina91GT-S
12-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I agree with Mario about the 205 midpipe. I have that SS Autochrome midpipe. It does not fit. The one that they call out for an ST185 seems to be for a ST205, the angle coming away from the Transmission mount is wrong. They are not interested in correcting it or the ad listing. I live local to them and couldn't figure out where they were, get anyone on the phone, or get replies to email. The BBB has a ton of bad info on them.

All that being said. I took the midpipe to the exhaust shop along with a 3" downpipe, they used the midpipe up to the point where it takes the wrong angle. They cut it off and ran it into a high flow resonator and then, a high flow cat, and completed the job out the back including a Walker turbo muffler. I provided the down pipe and the midpipe that was cut, everything from the exhaust shop + labor was just under $300. I also got the story that 3" wouldn't fit so it does go down to 2 1/2 somewhere in that chain. I'm not running a ton right now so it doesn't seem to be causing me any trouble. I think I have more than enough flow currently.

joe's gt
12-13-2009, 01:07 AM

go and look at all the threads on 935 on at.net. I am SHOCKED that they are still in business.

Be sure to report back on what kind of quote you get. I will probably getting one within the next year or so.

Carolina91GT-S
12-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Strange, according to the domain ownership cert. 935 owns alltrac.net

lalojamesliz
12-13-2009, 02:36 AM
http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1484

thanks ChrisD :)

lalojamesliz
12-13-2009, 02:48 AM
go and look at all the threads on 935 on at.net. I am SHOCKED that they are still in business.

Be sure to report back on what kind of quote you get. I will probably getting one within the next year or so.

had to take care of a few things today, if they are open tomorrow ill check it out :)

Corey Darling
12-13-2009, 03:23 AM

Yep

85gtsblackman
12-13-2009, 03:53 AM
yeah 935 took 3 months to ship me the wrong brake pads

lalojamesliz
12-13-2009, 04:31 AM
its only a matter of time for them to go under with service like that....

METDeath
12-13-2009, 04:49 AM
I thought everyone knew 935 was alltrac.net already...

Problem is, they undercut everyone by tons, so all the guys that want to go cheap on the good stuff order from them thinking they get a deal. However, if you need the part within say... two-three weeks, order from somewhere else. I ordered from them once since they had the absolute lowest price for Koni front struts, it took almost two months, with me calling every three business days. He never called me back, at all, despite him saying he would.

I wasn't concerned about it because I'm patient and I was gone for 10 days at a time on average, so didn't have a lot of time to work on my car anyway.

Oh, and the threads you do see about him not shipping parts... well that's just because he hasn't gotten around to deleting them completely yet.

ChrisD
12-13-2009, 05:35 AM

Yes. at.net = Robert Pina = 935.

Honestly, I suspect he is financing previous orders with new orders $$. Conjecture, but wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

I am seriously considering quitting at.net because of this.

METDeath
12-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm just over there for part outs and the occasional looking for an All-trac, that's it. I'm not over there socially and don't really post over there any more.

joe's gt
12-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Besides the cluttered 935 "where is my part?" threads, I have been over there posting recently and I like it. Most of the regulars are very knowledgeable. Since I have a swap, I have found a lot of good info on there as well.

Social interaction over here is way better tho. Almost everyday there's somethin that makes me laugh.

Shadowlife25
12-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Joe. Almost anything you want to know about or know how to fix I could tell you myself.

The rest is here./

You leave this site at risk of your balls.

Your balls, they will be kicked.

lalojamesliz
12-14-2009, 09:57 AM
lol hey mario if you dont mind me asking, how did you get your dragon icon showing you went to a celica meet? was it in california? i have been wanting to go but its not in my budget to drive a couple thousand miles :(

Grot
12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Nope, he drove out to tennessee last april. Even Steve (audice) from canada made it down for the dragon

lalojamesliz
12-14-2009, 03:02 PM
damn Mario, thats 2000+ miles!

joe's gt
12-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Joe. Almost anything you want to know about or know how to fix I could tell you myself.

The rest is here./

You leave this site at risk of your balls.

Your balls, they will be kicked.

lol, then my balls are safe cuz I ain't never leaving this site. I just started browsing and posting their recently, but celicatech is always and will always be my first and last stop.

RedRkt01
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
I thought everyone knew 935 was alltrac.net already...

Problem is, they undercut everyone by tons, so all the guys that want to go cheap on the good stuff order from them thinking they get a deal. However, if you need the part within say... two-three weeks, order from somewhere else. I ordered from them once since they had the absolute lowest price for Koni front struts, it took almost two months, with me calling every three business days. He never called me back, at all, despite him saying he would.

I wasn't concerned about it because I'm patient and I was gone for 10 days at a time on average, so didn't have a lot of time to work on my car anyway.

Oh, and the threads you do see about him not shipping parts... well that's just because he hasn't gotten around to deleting them completely yet.

Dude, I can beat them on most stuff. I'll go out on a limb and say everything that the both of us sell. When I tried to go head to head and be a vendor I got no response. But I know I'm being watched because I have my minions listening....;)

+1 on SSAC, I hear theri welds break like crazy. Heard it a million times.

RedRkt01
12-14-2009, 10:37 PM

= Tax write-off.

lalojamesliz
12-14-2009, 11:47 PM
ok i went, they told me $150 for mandrel 3" stainless midpipe with the flex pipe/joint and less if i can find some more people to buy some more midpipe's and another $20 if i want him to cut the ends off my secondary cat to were it becomes 3" and weld that to the rest of the 3" midpipe so its a complete 3" midpipe. my biggest worry was when he told me that starting january 2010 police will have check points set up around town just to inspect and make sure the emissions on our cars are complete,original and functioning and if you are missing you catilytic converter you will get a huge fine... anyone heard of anything like this? he was telling me that the police already had a check point with a mobile dyno to check cars they were pulling into the check point a couple days ago. if you have heard of anything like this please post what you know. so back on the midpipe. is that a good deal?

joe's gt
12-15-2009, 01:50 AM
definitely a good deal. There's a bunch of mandrel shops here in sac, so I'll probably go that route when I have the funds. Thanks for the info.

But whatever you do, DON'T get rid of the secondary cat. Not only is it a visual inspection, but once it reaches its flash point, the cat is approximately 99% effective at reducing CO, HC, and NOX and it is absolutely essential to pass CA emissions. The primary cat doesn't do that much and could be safely removed. Also, it is too far down in your exhaust to cause any sort of adverse performance effects. KEEP IT!

And about the checkpoints, that's the first I've heard, so I guess its time to put my fake egr back on :p

Shadowlife25
12-15-2009, 01:53 AM
You meant the secondary cat, right Joe?

You do still require the primary cat/dp to pass CA visual/smog.

Ask me how I know.... :(

lalojamesliz
12-15-2009, 03:09 AM
:( that's one way to find out Mario. so do you guys think the secondary cat. will flow good if the small inlet and outlet are cut off to were its 3'' in and out? have you guys heard of that new law or was that guy crazy?

Freshnicity
12-15-2009, 03:41 AM
lol i call bs on the checkpoints.

they already laid off way to many sheriffs to do that.

whos going to do it, CHP? You honestly think CHP is going to get UNDER my car to look for a cat?? no. Dont let everything you hear about that type of stuff get to you. if your worried, just get a high flow cat and drop it in the exhaust somewhere

stupid CA

Shadowlife25
12-15-2009, 06:13 AM
A 3" inline cat should be fine.

Just make sure that it isn't too far back, or it won't actually get hot enough to do anything.

I personally just use the stock DP/Catalytic converter to pass smog then switch back. (PITA, I know :( )

As for checkpoints and all that mess, they DO do them, but it's mainly a So-Cal thing because of all the ricer tards.
It's a way to impound the car and generate revenue, as technically it IS illegal to not have a fully functional exhaust/emissions system.

Around out area of Nor-Cal, not so much, so don't sweat it.

joe's gt
12-15-2009, 06:20 AM
You meant the secondary cat, right Joe?

You do still require the primary cat/dp to pass CA visual/smog.

Ask me how I know.... :(

They were that strict. Dang. My shop would look right past a 3" dp. They definitely stick the mirror under there to look for the secondary tho.

They don't test the functionality of my egr either.

Shadowlife25
12-15-2009, 06:31 AM
But is it a "Test Only" facility?

They test everything at those joints, and I mean everything.

I have to switch to my JDM ecu tomorrow to pass smog since I am throwing EGR code 71.

lalojamesliz
12-15-2009, 03:07 PM
A 3" inline cat should be fine.

Just make sure that it isn't too far back, or it won't actually get hot enough to do anything.

I personally just use the stock DP/Catalytic converter to pass smog then switch back. (PITA, I know :( )

As for checkpoints and all that mess, they DO do them, but it's mainly a So-Cal thing because of all the ricer tards.
It's a way to impound the car and generate revenue, as technically it IS illegal to not have a fully functional exhaust/emissions system.

Around out area of Nor-Cal, not so much, so don't sweat it.

well Mario i live in socal :ugh: and then my mom lives in los angeles and i go visit her :D last question: do you guys think if i install a 3'' hi flow cat. in the midpipe, do you guys think i can pass a smog test? i ask because my new plan is to have the hi flow cat. on the midpipe and a gutted oem downpipe/cat. so if i do have any problems i dont have to worry about the visual or smog test. i hate being paranoid about the freaking police messing with me and finding some dumb crap to impound my car

ChrisD
12-15-2009, 06:20 PM
People have been known to pass with no cats. So yes, you'd probably be ok with a high-flow one.

lalojamesliz
12-15-2009, 07:57 PM
cool thanks ChrisD. :) so thats my plan, a gutted cat. and a high flow cat on the 3" midpipe. so is anyone intrested in a 3" stainless steel mandrel bent midpipe with only a flex pipe for $150+ shipping (high flow cat. extra)

Shadowlife25
12-16-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm down for one Ed.

joe's gt
12-16-2009, 06:06 AM
People have been known to pass with no cats. So yes, you'd probably be ok with a high-flow one.

Yup. For CA, u will need a hi-flow cat, but that will be all you need for tailpipe. Passing visual without primary will depend on the shop.

Make sure you drive around for 10 minutes or so to heat up the cat so it can reach its flash point. At that point its about 99% effective at removing CO, HC, and NOX emissions.

lalojamesliz
12-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Yup. For CA, u will need a hi-flow cat, but that will be all you need for tailpipe. Passing visual without primary will depend on the shop.

Make sure you drive around for 10 minutes or so to heat up the cat so it can reach its flash point. At that point its about 99% effective at removing CO, HC, and NOX emissions.

when i bought my all-trac and had it smogged i went to the shop i had to wait for like a 1.5 hrs and i had my car off. it passed really clean even thought it was off for so long but the head was just rebuild and it had both catalytic converters but next time ill have the engine on 1/2 hour before its my turn to ensure ill pass again IF i only have 1 catalytic converter. i didnt know they were that efficient

KoreanJoey
12-17-2009, 04:08 AM
damn Mario, thats 2000+ miles!

*cough*

Shadowlife25
12-17-2009, 05:54 AM
*cough*

Haha, yeah, ^^Joey drove from Northern Washington State all the way there and back.

Next time he will change out his seat though, I'm guessing. ;)

Freshnicity
12-17-2009, 06:34 AM
when i bought my all-trac and had it smogged i went to the shop i had to wait for like a 1.5 hrs and i had my car off. it passed really clean even thought it was off for so long but the head was just rebuild and it had both catalytic converters but next time ill have the engine on 1/2 hour before its my turn to ensure ill pass again IF i only have 1 catalytic converter. i didnt know they were that efficient

dont be paranoid, smog = bull

find a smog shop like Joes, and become friends with them.

Either that, or shovel out a good amount of cash to get around smog all together(just kidding for those feds that are watching :thefinger )

or..get a PO box in another county in CA that doesnt require visual, smog from there and be done with it. Theres some not far from where you live also, forgot which ones are it though.

joe's gt
12-17-2009, 07:05 AM
dont be paranoid, smog = bull

find a smog shop like Joes, and become friends with them.

Either that, or shovel out a good amount of cash to get around smog all together(just kidding for those feds that are watching :thefinger )

or..get a PO box in another county in CA that doesnt require visual, smog from there and be done with it. Theres some not far from where you live also, forgot which ones are it though.

Is there a county like that near us Fresh? I'd for sure be willing to get a PO Box when its mod time and drive 3 or 4 hours every 2 years.

Shadowlife25
12-17-2009, 07:24 AM
ClearLake

lalojamesliz
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Back from the dead :) Ok guys I lost intrest in this midpipe but I want one again lol I have some bad news though, the shop owner said he would want all the cars there at his shop so he can make sure it fits correct so if your near by, come over and he will make you a midpipe like I described with a catalytic converter that's California legal for $315. He told me if I leave my car at his shop for a day or two so he doesn't have to rush he will make it for me for $275. That price won't include the flex pipe so I bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170535524537&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_3054wt_753 because he wants $100 for the ones ge has. Let me know guys

Nitro_Alltrac
09-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Just reading through this thread. It's great to see that CA law enforcment is keeping the public safe from the car modifiers and polluters. I wouldn't want them to have to worry about catching murderers, rapists and theives.

I'm sorry, but that's a messed up place.:iorun:

lalojamesliz
09-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Lol

joe's gt
09-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Smog creates enormous revenue. The claims that it is to cut down on pollution is just misdirection for the true purpose of what they are doing. Its unfortunate, but there is nothing we can do.