PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever replace thier own windshield?

RIalltrac
12-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I've got a beater truck, 96 S-10, and it needs a new windshield (amongst other things). To get it done professionaly is going to cost me close to $200, I cant really swing that right now...on the other hand I can pickup the glass at a wrecker for like $50....so how hard is it to do the rest of the work. I realize that the probability for failure here is pretty high, but thats never stopped me from trying. Just looking for pointers and such, Thanks.

grayscale
02-11-2010, 02:59 AM
I've come up with the same question. I'm thinking about getting a new windshield from the parts yard and wondering if any of you have done it or know anything about it.

Lonestag
02-11-2010, 03:06 AM
I've looked into it several times, but from everything I see, it is kinda of a daunting undertaking. If you have any luck, let me know. It is a skill I would LOVE to pick up.

Murgatroy
02-11-2010, 03:20 AM
It isn't worth it.

I did it once, on a back glass.

Quick lesson.

Remove trim, get guitar string, stick the guitar string through the seal, 'saw' it out.

I used a silicon type sealant, lined the window frame, set the new glass in, put the trim back on.

It took me about 8 hours of painstaking labor.

IMO, it would be worth the $200.

For the record, I was quoted $125 for the windshield, installed in Chaos.

4thgenceli
02-11-2010, 03:40 AM
I was able to get my wife's windshield replaced with new OEM glass for $75 bux. Call around, sure someone will have it cheaper (we hit up a lil' mexacanio shop that hooked us up).

acidice333
02-11-2010, 03:56 AM
I have to re-seal my rear hatch glass and they want $200 to reseal it :( ..or I can goto a yard and find a hatch for $200.. or I can buy some caulk and try to seal it up which I think I'm going todo.

sodap0p
02-11-2010, 04:03 AM
I have to re-seal my rear hatch glass and they want $200 to reseal it :( ..or I can goto a yard and find a hatch for $200.. or I can buy some caulk and try to seal it up which I think I'm going todo.

Or come to calgary, I have a black hatch you can have :)

187flatliner
02-11-2010, 04:15 AM
its actually pretty easy......takes two people to make it easier...(ask a friend and buy a six pack:naughty:).......remove all of the triming........use a putty knife and some straight edged tools to scrape as much of the sealant from the metal body as you can...i took a grinder to most of it.....repaired five rust areas too..........then primer if needed...which i did........lay a good size bead of automotive window glass sealant....(napa)....cant remeber the name of it tho......not too expensive.......then have ur friend take one side and then lay it onto the car evenly....this is the hardest part but it is also easy if your sober so wait for the six-pack......once youve got the window lined up nice and even...lay some more sealant around the edge of the window and replace the trimmings and then tape the trimings and the top of windsheild and let dry for at least 24hrs....dont slam the doors and roll the windows up only when closed.......dont wash directly for at least a week....rains okay.it only took me and a friend about an hour so its not that hard......might wanna use a sander too?

but most importantly is to remeber DONT SLAM YOUR DOORS WITH THE WINDOWS UP OR EVEN AT ALL......you will put an air bubble in the sealant.

hope this helps.

rizin
02-11-2010, 04:21 AM
I wish my brother had the internet. He works for safelite auto glass he could give you some tips. He would also recommend you taking it to someone. I know he uses little plastic peices to keep the urethane at one constant thickness. Any where you scratch the pinch weld you want to seal it with paint other wise you will be looking at some body work later on. He also cuts the tip of the tubes to apply a bead that is 1/2in wide and 3/4in tall triangle. When you put the windsheild in you want a friend to help. My brother has this cool arm that goes on the driverside window and attaches to the new widsheild to help him out. Other then that I cannot tell you more about it. That is just what I have seen him do seems like my wife needs a windsheild ever year for the past three.

187flatliner
02-11-2010, 04:24 AM
He also cuts the tip of the tubes to apply a bead that is 1/2in wide and 3/4in tall triangle.

forgot to mention that...it works wonders!

Shadowlife25
02-11-2010, 04:28 AM
I have done the windshields on 2 of my friends cars.

It takes about 30 minutes to do.

They have special knives that are used to cut through the sealant.

A new tube of sealant can be had for $15-20 at any paint shop.

Remove any surrounding trim pieces.

Remove the plastic retainer clips that secure the windshield.

Cut out the old sealant as well as you can and clean it up.

Apply new sealant and replace the plastic retainer clips along with the windshield when you set it in.