PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump

KM
12-11-2009, 01:39 AM
So, one of the things that I was told was never changed out is the fuel pump.

We're talking 4AGE 20V in a '92 Celica, incase some of you missed the fact that I bought Colossus20V's swap.

My biggest question is which one to get... Walbro? 3SGTE?

I'm not having fuel problems, but I want to tackle this before I do.

CriScO
12-11-2009, 02:14 AM
I say if it's working don't screw with it. Well, in this case anyway... :hehe:

If you still want to do it for preventative maintenance reasons, stick with OEM Toyota.

But unless you plan on boosting the motor there isn't much need for a higher volume pump.

KM
12-11-2009, 03:26 AM
Preventative maintenance, yes.
He said he never replaced it, even after the 20v swap, meaning it could very well be a 17 year old pump. It works fine, but I'd like to tackle these few things before I run out of cash and it kicks me in the ass.

Why is OEM so expensive?
Hell, even the one Autozone carries is twice as expensive than the Walbro 255.

burnyd
12-11-2009, 05:18 AM
dont fix it if its not broken theres other stuff you could do with the extra 100 bux... The stock pump if it is stock is very reliable and its not like your going to be making huge hp.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-11-2009, 02:57 PM
+1 for not messing with it if it's not broken. If the tank has never been off the car it's going to be fun taking it off. There's a good chance you'll break something else in the process. If you're not having any problems now, I'd wait.

CriScO
12-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Aftermarket OE pumps tend to have a higher failure rate. The lifetime warranty they often come with is great, but chances are you will have to use it. If there's no access panel in the car, it's worth paying Toyota the money.

That's a good question, how do the access panels go with the 5th gens? With fourth gens the hatchbacks have one but the coupes do not. Sorry to thread jack, but this got me curious.

Shadowlife25
12-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Wait until Spring to start messing with that stuff. ;)