PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started in NW Auto-x

Dougy90
12-10-2009, 06:18 PM
So Im considering getting started in autocross. I was wondering what i should do to get started?

I have read that the NW is a great place to auto cross because. Now for the ride...its pretty much stock except for some lowering springs, sway bars, and some KYB's. o and im using Kumho ASX all season tires (so i know those will take a while to heat up :) Once i get back upto school in January i was going to corner weight my car and dial in a new alignment. Any tips on the corner weighting and alignment settings?

Hiko
12-11-2009, 06:19 AM
As far as the alignment settings go, mine are

-1.5 degrees camber up front
-0.8 degress camber rear
0 toe all around.

I used to have ~0.5 degrees toe out up front, but it started eating tires quick with that much camber, so I backed off. It did make the turning more responsive (something our Celi's need BADLY).

Good luck! And remember, the point (at least on this level) is to have fun.

Dougy90
12-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Those seem to be the alignment settings that most people agreed upon when i was lookin online. Thanks for the info

So does anyone have any tips for cornerweighting? Certain specs that will help te car out?

Also if anyne has anymore advice for setting up the car, checking vitals of the car, or anything in general that would be greatly appreciated.

KoreanJoey
12-13-2009, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about alignment specs until you do a few events and get out of novice class. You'll find different tires like different amounts of camber and toe. Also, after novice class, you'll need to find some different tires to run. The ASX's are nowhere near competitive in any of the classes.

A good place to start is by figuring out where your car will get classed, you might find it's not going to work for you or that you'd rather just run in time only (in which case you shouldn't bother overspending on the car).

As for corner weighting, you want to make sure the car loads the same left to right, don't want the car turning better one way vs the other in autocross. Aside from that there's not much you can do as the front to rear weight balance of the celica is SOOO bad (63f:37r, on my GT Coupe). My alignment specs are as follows

Fr
Camber: -2.5*
Toe: .2* Out

Re: -1.2
Toe: 0.25* out

Yes it does eat tires and makes the car very, very twitchy to drive I might end up taking away the toe from the rear but I think my problem is more from the overly stiff rear swaybar vs stock front than anything.

Some links for you
www.scca.org
Sports Car Club of America

www.nwr-scca.org
Northwest Region; Sports Car Club of America

www.wwscc.org
Western Washington Sports Car Counsel (best overall calender of autocross events in the Puget Sound area)

www.bscc.net
Bremerton Sports Car Club (closest to you with it's own separate classing system and championship series)