PDA

View Full Version : Ever drove the celica cross country? Tips?

eatdirt40
12-09-2009, 03:07 AM
Alright I am planning a trip from New England to Florida, and am looking for ideas, as the only hole in my plan might be the car. Its very close to 200k miles, still on original engine.

Has anyone done it with an older car, with a lot of miles like this? Am I just asking for a breakdown? Or if its prepped I should be good? And what should I do to prep the car? Thanks for any tips.

burnyd
12-09-2009, 03:29 AM
check all fluids? Brakes? I meen Im assuming you drive it everyday I meen is there any small things is does?

eatdirt40
12-09-2009, 03:42 AM
Oil leak.

Sometimes starter doesn't catch first try or two, but has never left me stranded.

Brake fluid probably needs changing, but that would be done before the trip.

Nothing else is really wrong with it.

Colossus20v
12-09-2009, 04:07 AM
I wouldn't worry about the mileage on the car if the engine is running fine and not having any other issues. Just make sure you fluids are all good to go. I have changed my spark plugs before just so I have new plugs in there to help with mpg.

Murgatroy
12-09-2009, 04:31 AM
I have done several 400+ mile trips in Chaos. I would still trust her to do one, and she isn't in the best shape anymore, but she would still handle it.

Make sure your fluids are good and go.

85gtsblackman
12-09-2009, 04:40 AM
fix all the oil leaks possible before you go

MCcelica
12-09-2009, 05:12 AM
While on said road trip. My tip? Don't get lost.

CriScO
12-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Last April I drove the coupe from CO to Indy, Indy to Knoxville, Knoxville to Baton Rouge, then back to Denver. Those were miles 223,767 to 228,972.

I'm told it got a new head sometime before the previous owner had it(so the owner before the last), but as far as I know the bottom end is original. I bought the car at 211,000 miles, and by how much he drove it the head's probably seen 100k.

Plus there was a *ahem* little problem that caused the car to lose a quart of oil every 100 miles for the first half of the trip. The original problem was my fault, not the engine's, but there were a couple of gas stops where the car only had a quart left. That's a hell of a lot of abuse for the engine to take, but she's still my daily driver. Runs just as strong as ever.

Mileage isn't the forbidding factor, condition is.

Here's the basic list I'd follow to be sure:
- Change the oil
- Flush the coolant
- Check and fix any problems with the brakes, steering, and suspension (this includes rusted components, if they're close to breaking the highway vibration will speed it up)
- Check battery condition

The rest is luck. But at least you'll know that if it does break down it was inevitable.

Murgatroy
12-09-2009, 05:52 AM
What Crisco means to say is, if you have a manual oil pressure gauge, make sure the connection is secure.

METDeath
12-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Since Joey hasn't posted this: Don't drive cross country in a race prep car with a fixed position race seat.

eatdirt40
12-09-2009, 06:52 AM
And if the worst does happen, say HG blows, or rod knock and I am halfway across the country, what do I do then?

(BTW Thanks for the story and tips Crisco)

andy
12-09-2009, 06:56 AM
call the closest celicatech member, head to the junkyard, swap out your engine. continue on your trip.

although your engine will usually let you know when its about to do those things. you can usually drive your car with a blown hg as well, assuming it doesnt overheat.

Shadowlife25
12-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Have a GOOD tow plan i.e. AAA Premium.

I did drive x-country (literally) from Indiana to Knoxville then to Colorado, Utah and finally back home to California.

Threw #4 rod bearing and that AAA Premium towing saved my ass.

Keep a "Kit" that is as follows:

Basic tools needed for roadside fixes.

1/4" 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets

Sockets & Wrenches
8mm
10mm
12mm
13mm
14mm
15mm
17mm
19mm
Spark Plug socket

Good Jack
2 Jack stands (if possible)

Spare spark plugs

Replacement belt for Alternator

Bottle of Brake fluid

2 quarts of whichever oil you use

1 gallon of coolant

Good spare tire (make sure it isn't dry rotted and is properly inflated)

1 can of fix a flat.
(Only use this if absolutely necessary.
you can NOT repair a tire puncture after it has been used)

The above should see you through anything you are able to fix on your own.
This ranges from a busted belt, brake issue, or fluid leak to a flat tire.
Should make it just fine. :)

KoreanJoey
12-10-2009, 02:50 AM
Since Joey hasn't posted this: Don't drive cross country in a race prep car with a fixed position race seat.
:yes:

PS: New England to Florida is NOT cross country...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=tacoma,+wa&daddr=42.434607,-96.370697+to:knoxville,+tn&geocode=FY0F0QId_aWz-ClnlWUr7lSQVDGCnrDrB5whYg%3B%3BFT63JAIdnXj_-impQs5GIhZciDHFNPXE2pLqew&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1&sll=42.49539,-97.087555&sspn=0.897136,2.113495&ie=UTF8&ll=43.612217,-105.073242&spn=28.155269,67.631836&z=5

4thgenceli
12-10-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm planning on making a cross country trip.. AZ --> Knoxville (or wherever the f' the dragon is).

Thx for the tips Mario, gonna use em :)

Murgatroy
12-10-2009, 03:26 AM
Knoxville is close enough to accurate.

KoreanJoey
12-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Thereish.

METDeath
12-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Knoxville is where the party is at :3

jsooke
12-10-2009, 03:38 AM
Have a GOOD tow plan i.e. AAA Premium.

I did drive x-country (literally) from Indiana to Knoxville then to Colorado, Utah and finally back home to California.

Threw #4 rod bearing and that AAA Premium towing saved my ass.

Keep a "Kit" that is as follows:

Basic tools needed for roadside fixes.

1/4" 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets

Sockets & Wrenches
8mm
10mm
12mm
13mm
14mm
15mm
17mm
19mm
Spark Plug socket

Good Jack
2 Jack stands (if possible)

Spare spark plugs

Replacement belt for Alternator

Bottle of Brake fluid

2 quarts of whichever oil you use

1 gallon of coolant

Good spare tire (make sure it isn't dry rotted and is properly inflated)

1 can of fix a flat.
(Only use this if absolutely necessary.
you can NOT repair a tire puncture after it has been used)

The above should see you through anything you are able to fix on your own.
This ranges from a busted belt, brake issue, or fluid leak to a flat tire.
Should make it just fine. :)

Some screw drivers, pliers, snips. Bailing wire, zap straps and duct tape.

And ... flash light.

Also, 24 hour drive isn't too bad. Check the fluids every fuel stop. Done several 24 hour drives in varying vehicles and no real problems. The area where you are driving should be fine ... but do not let your fuel run down below 1/4 tank (try finding a gas station in northern ontario).

Jay

Simonhla
12-10-2009, 05:44 AM
I drove from Los Angeles to Chicago last summer and didn't have an issue. I'm sure you will be fine. Just make sure you have a road protection program as everyone says and that you have basic emergency supplies such as a gallon or two of water, a wooly hat, extra gloves, sweater, a blanket and some non perishable food in case you get stranded.

Have some oil in case you need to top her up as well as coolant. Duct tape will temporarily fix most hose leaks to keep you going. A basic tool kit is a must including pliers, adjustable wrench, vice grip, interchangeable head screw driver, funnel and some rags. Get a car charger for your cell phone too. I would also recommend getting a small compressor with an emergency light that can run off the cig lighter to pump up flat tires. Tire repair kit is handy too. Probbly wise to take a small box of fuses too. never know when one might blow and they cost next to nothing. Get a variety pack. Sure there is more but this is all i can think of.

You'll be fine.

CriScO
12-10-2009, 06:04 AM
I think Joey was the only one toting more tools than me. My electrical box saved Bugs when his water temp sensor wires broke on the skyway. And I didn't just have crimp connectors, it was soldered and sealed in heat shrink on the side of the road. :woot:

And AAA saved Mario's car. Me and Aaron saved his ass. :D

A little addition to Mario's list, spare radiator hoses are always a good idea too.

Oh, and if you pass near Knoxville have lunch with Murgatroy, and if you're near Atlanta see gt4rcdude(aka The Captain). Good times will be had by all.

METDeath
12-10-2009, 12:42 PM
and if you're near Atlanta see gt4rcdude(aka The Captain). Good times will be had by all.

What about me? I'm near Atlanta...

However I get the feeling that he will be cruising down 95 so won't really go near Atlanta... plus any route that brings him by Atlanta will probably add a good 6-8 hours to the drive...

KM
12-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Oh, and if you pass near Knoxville have lunch with Murgatroy, and if you're near Atlanta see gt4rcdude(aka The Captain). Good times will be had by all.

I should've dropped by Murg's, but when I left Nashville, it was getting close midnight... and I had to call Colossus20v to get directions out of there 'cause I ate, went shopping, then got lost in the city and couldn't find signs to I-440 or I-24.
If weather were better, I would've stopped by.

What about me? I'm near Atlanta...

However I get the feeling that he will be cruising down 95 so won't really go near Atlanta... plus any route that brings him by Atlanta will probably add a good 6-8 hours to the drive...

I'm pretty sure all of the GA crew are a long drive, except for Tweak, 'cause Savannah is pretty close to I-95.

4thgenceli
12-11-2009, 12:10 AM
BOoo... I'm gonna move to the east coast.

Grot
12-11-2009, 12:23 AM
East coast is where its at. Ehem Chris im in (or close to) Knoxville too.

METDeath
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
I should've dropped by Murg's, but when I left Nashville, it was getting close midnight... and I had to call Colossus20v to get directions out of there 'cause I ate, went shopping, then got lost in the city and couldn't find signs to I-440 or I-24.
If weather were better, I would've stopped by.

I'm pretty sure all of the GA crew are a long drive, except for Tweak, 'cause Savannah is pretty close to I-95.

Yeah, except Tweak has moved out of Savannah... that said, if you like seafood go to Shellhouse on 95 just south of Savannah, they have HUGE meals for a reasonable price... well reasonable if you're getting paid back for food... it was something like 15-20 per person for vafalla and I, I'm pretty sure we hit 50-60 due to an appetizer sampler plate.

Grot
12-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Where Tweak at now?

METDeath
12-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Where Tweak at now?

One of the Carolinas... I forget which one though.

wizzards581
12-15-2009, 05:40 AM
new england to florida, across the atlantic ocean. wow! haha.

if the car dies half way. tow it to nearest junk yard and hope couple hundred to buy bus/train tickets back home...