PDA

View Full Version : Interesting call from the insurance company on my son's car

Nitro_Alltrac
12-09-2009, 03:00 AM
I think a few of you know that my son got hit in his ST about 3 weeks ago. He was going down the street and a girl pulled out of a side street and hit him in the right front. She caught the fender in front of the wheel, the wheel, the back of the fender and the front of right door. Surprisingly, the fiberglass Z3 is fine. The door dented a little but she majorly messed up the right front suspension. He said that it drove funny after the accident and the top of the wheel is sitting in. He got an estimate on the suspension at a garage across from his apartment for $700.

The insurance company, Liberty Mutual, took a while to finally decide that their insured was primarily at fault. They ruled her 90% at fault and Nick 10% at fault because he was doing 30 in a 25 (I thought the speed limit on this street was 35). They told me last Thursday that they wanted to total the car. I talked with them yesterday and got the final figure and the guy told me that they would be sending out the paperwork so we could get everything finished up.

His boss called me this morning and told me to ignore the packet he had sent. Since they were only paying us 90% of the value they couldn't take the car. We''re supposed to get the check from them on Thursday. Now I've got to figure out whether to fix the suspension and sell it or part it out. I'm also getting the wheels off the car to put on mine. That worked out. This was a good surprise.

I worked in a body shop for four years and had never heard of the insurance company "totaling" a car and then not taking pocession of it. I figured that we were going to get fucked since he didn't call the police. We actually got more for the car at 90% than we could have sold it pre-accident for and get to keep the car. Pretty cool! :Ban1:

Shadowlife25
12-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Cool deal Mike. :)

MCcelica
12-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Liberty Mutual does that. When my 5th gen got totalled, their insurance did the same thing, and I sold what was left of it for a few hundred extra under the table.

Boycott!Swagger
12-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Thats crazy...ive never heard of something like that but kudos to you

Nitro_Alltrac
12-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I was rather surprise and please with the deal. There are a few parts that I can use on my car besides the wheels. I figuring at this point I'll probably end up parting it out. I'm pretty sure I can get more money out of it that way. I figure that out in the next couple of months. It's getting to be the time of year where you don't do a lot outside here.

darthripley
12-11-2009, 11:04 PM
same thing happened when someone smacked R2 in the front fender --- they said the car would have a salvage title, well whoopee it already has one so it can't get it doubled up lol
of course the damage was easy for us to fix & left us a little extra for the headache.

Murgatroy
12-11-2009, 11:13 PM
My wife's old Buick was 'totaled' twice.

Once by a deer, and once by a city bus.

Sure, the thing was ugly, but it was structurally sound and had 50k on it.

After the head gasket blew, I refused to fix it, as it wasn't worth it.

Nitro_Alltrac
12-12-2009, 04:19 AM
The cool thing with us is that the title is still good, as far as I know. They didn't ask for it, actually told me they didn't need it and not to worry about it. This worked out pretty well. I was greatly surprised.

darthripley
12-12-2009, 08:13 AM
thats cool. glad things worked out ok mike.

VikingJZ
12-15-2009, 05:29 AM
So you got paid and get to keep it?

Win!

Post some pics of it?

Nitro_Alltrac
12-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Yep, I got the check last week and still have possesion of the car. I'm going to get it back home during Christmas break. I'll get some pictures and post them up.

As far as the 10% BS, Nick told them he was doing 30 and they found that the speed limit on that street was 25. I've got to check. That's the only street in Huntington that I've seen with a 25 speed limit. At least on the major streets.