PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo boys and girls!!!

Mr.Shaun91
12-02-2009, 01:22 AM
i just picked up a 7mgte today for next to nothing.

its torn down, piece by peice.

pros..
it has full forged bottom end.
turbo cams
bore'd 0.040 over

cons.
needs a new piston.
block needs to be honed
and head needs to be milled. (very minimal warpage)

missing.
fuel rail
IM & EM
accessories and pulleys.
Turbo setup.

but for a hundred bucks i couldnt look the other way.... this will be the heart and soul of my project. 91 gts celica converted to RWD powered by this 7mgte. AGH!!!!!! im so excited!!!!

Kanoodle
12-02-2009, 01:30 AM
LOL I love inline six's :D

Cavanagh
12-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Into your 5th gen? Whew, thats a hell of a project, good luck. And be sure to make a thread of it in the 'My Project' section.

GT4SOM
12-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Um ok lol. Your best bet is to find a wreck alltrac and cut out the rear end and install it. There's one actually in South Florida for sale, its wrecked in the front but the rear end would be good.

Mr.Shaun91
12-02-2009, 03:13 AM
ya thanks guys. im actually thinking of doing a whole custom rear end setup and using the supra rear diff. change the suspension mounts and build it from scratch... this is going to be a few year project tho guys....

Murgatroy
12-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Back half it, use a Ford 9" and a custom 4 link.

Might run you $4k tops to complete the chassis.

VikingJZ
12-02-2009, 04:38 AM
Yeah, it would be easier to use a domestic rear end since finding them is less of a challenge.

This will be a cool car if you do it right and finish it.

I still believe that I have yet to find an I6 that sounds bad after a performance exhaust has been installed.

Murgatroy
12-02-2009, 04:51 AM
You can take the car to nearly any Speed Shop that deals in door slammers and have it backhalved, with the pans and everything installed for a very fair price.

This will also eliminate 'creep' and get your pinion angle set correctly. If you don't get your rear perfectly centered, you car will run sideways down the road for the few times you are brave enough to drive it.

VikingJZ
12-02-2009, 05:20 AM
I would also invest in a top shelf suspension to go along with it.

Not sure about the back, but definitely a coilover setup for the front

Mr.Shaun91
12-02-2009, 06:17 AM
yes i agree it would be a hell of a lot easier with a domestic rear end in it. but on the other hand i want to do this with with nothing but Toyota parts. only dot he custom stuff that is needed. me, my brother, and father have all fabbed up some crazy shit. my older brother could care less about this project cuz i know he is afraid of it. hmmm celica whoopin on his 79 Z28? oh ya....

and i figured already that the rear shock mounts are coming out, custom mounts made up for them, subframe connectors, custom dash, firewall cut back, and lifting the hump in the car.

i do have a coilover setup in the front already, but i will need new stuff in the front do to the extra weight.

Top Shelf? explain. never heard of it actually.... =(

85gtsblackman
12-02-2009, 06:31 AM
im interested to see this as id like a rwd 6th gen
6th gen has 1 advantage over a 5th, its got a long nose

Mr.Shaun91
12-02-2009, 06:51 AM
ya you have got a point. its a longer engine bay. but not by much. im already counting on installing a "pull" fan over a "push" fan. that way its in towards the bumper and not in the engine bay. oh and a "V" mount intercooler as well.

Galcobar
12-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Top shelf -- as in best quality.

Idiot Stick
12-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Personally I'd just buy a MKIII supra with a blown engine and be done with it. the shell will cost less than converting the celica to RWD, and you'll also have a second car to drive while you do the work to the supra.

But thats just me.

Mr.Shaun91
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
see i like the MKIII's but..... when i look at my gts (cecile) she is just so beautiful. i dont want another car to fix up. she is my baby, i love that car. i know i could go get another car but i wont love it like i do this one.

call me strange but whatever.....

burnyd
12-02-2009, 05:19 PM
yah gl with that.

Hipster Lawrence
12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
yes i agree it would be a hell of a lot easier with a domestic rear end in it. but on the other hand i want to do this with with nothing but Toyota parts. only dot he custom stuff that is needed. me, my brother, and father have all fabbed up some crazy shit. my older brother could care less about this project cuz i know he is afraid of it. hmmm celica whoopin on his 79 Z28? oh ya....
(

Trust us, go with a ford 9" you can get unlimited FD ratios for cheap. Lockers LSDs Posi's whatever you want to call them are avalible for MUCH less than they would be for the toyota rear ends. Just go look at a summit catalog and you'll see what I mean.

You have to fab everything up anyways why use an inferior rear end? Even if I wanted to do IRS i would use a ford rear end, one from a cobra or an older T-Bird.

As for rear suspension a custom multilink would handle the curves pretty well. Carrera coilovers would be reasonably priced. I have a buddy with a 700 hp monte carlo with big wheels and carrera coilovers that handles great.

Murgatroy
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
I have yet to understand the mystique in doing this. Sure, it is unorthodox to turn a FWD car into RWD.

However, it has been done more times than I can count.

I spent a lot of time at the drag strip. It is commonplace to back-half a car and put a new frame rail four link (or ladder bars) and a cut down Ford 9". This is the exact same method that has been used to create hundreds of thousands of rather fast cars.

Applying this concept to a FWD car has been done. I have seen countless Civic converted to RWD with Ford engines and the like.

This is the exact same method that I will use when I convert a 5th Gen Coupe to RWD. It is tried, proven and low cost compared to trying to do a whole custom job using unorthodox parts combination.

I am not trying to belittle or demean anyone, I am just speaking from experience.

Mr.Shaun91
12-02-2009, 09:12 PM
ok guys your right, so ill take a look into some domestic rear ends. but one thing for sure im not using FORD SHIT. i dont care if it came from a cobra or not, not gonna use it. ill use something else.

now what consists of backhalving a car? just curious.

Murgatroy
12-02-2009, 09:20 PM
You cut all the sheetmetal out of the rear floorpan. You will then run new frame rails to the rear and tie it all in. From the new frame rails you hang your 3rd member. There are various ways of doing it, an a 4 link or ladder bar setup is most common. Then after your rear is done, you will but new sheet metal and wheel tubs in and dry it all in.

As for a Ford 9", you will not find a better rear. Period. Go look at a lot of these <10 second Supras, and I am telling you for a fact, they run a GM TH400 transmission and a Ford 9" Rear End.

Mr.Shaun91
12-02-2009, 11:52 PM
how are they bolting up the 400 to the engine? custom adapter plates?

Hipster Lawrence
12-03-2009, 12:00 AM
As for a Ford 9", you will not find a better rear. Period. Go look at a lot of these <10 second Supras, and I am telling you for a fact, they run a GM TH400 transmission and a Ford 9" Rear End.

Some of those Supras are running powerglides.

Forget about who makes it. Any serious door slammer at the strip has a ford 9". Sure there are a few other options but you can't beat the tried and true 9" for ease of swapping out gear sets and for aftermarket support.

For that matter if you hate fords so much you could put together a "ford" rear end using zero Ford parts. Every part of the rear end assembly is available aftermarket.

Murgatroy
12-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Moser FTW.

They use adapter plates to put the TH400 and as Hellbillylarry mentioned, the Powerglide (2sp FTW) to nearly anything.

Mr.Shaun91
12-03-2009, 12:51 AM
ok see i want IRS due to the fact that im building it for road course races and only a lil drag.

so using a solid rear will lower the handling of the car.....

Murgatroy
12-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Depending on what you want to do road wise, solid axle works as well as independent.

Mr.Shaun91
12-03-2009, 01:16 AM
that would all depend on the suspension i put in the rear wouldnt it...???

Murgatroy
12-03-2009, 01:18 AM
It would.

I have never had an issue with a solid axle rear, as a matter of fact, I find them more reliable and easier to slide.

Mr.Shaun91
12-03-2009, 01:29 AM
thats the thing Murg, i dont want sliding. i want to stick to the ground

Murgatroy
12-03-2009, 02:16 AM
Break traction with a posi, and anything will slide.

In my experience, a solid axle is easier to control in a slide.

andy
12-03-2009, 04:43 AM
i would totally love a ford 9 inch in my car.

junctrac
12-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Sounds like a cool project there great motors i have a 6mge swapped into the 84 extracab in my avatar it pushes that heavy thing around fine. But check out Supracharged.com supra not super they have alot of info on wiring that motor to other cars and drivetrains and stuff.
And as for the rear end and gearing why not use a 3rd member tried and proven and engineered to work with that exact motor, and i thought some have limited slips from the factory? And i think the rear diff and suspension all unbolts together in the supra like the alltrac that would be the easiest way to just cut away the trunk to fit it and make mounts and you have the whole thing contained in one assembly, with irs like a celica should have. good luck.

Shadowlife25
12-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Couldn't he pick up an AllTrac rear pan for like $300ish and weld that in as a start?
Seems it would be more cost/space effective than trying to find a whole other car.:shrug:

By the way: Ford's 9" rear is LEGENDARY. Damn near bulletproof man.
I've never been "into" Fords in general, but as a mechanic have had the dubious pleasure of working on a DAMN lot of them.
Those rear ends are forged by God with a TON of aftermarket support.

Also, as Murg mentioned, a live axle rear is a good thing too, mainly depends on preference.
All my Rx-7's had a live axle and that's a purebred sportscar man. Something to think about.;)

Mr.Shaun91
12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
well im thinking ill go with the ford 8.8 so i can have the IRS setup....

and thanks for the info guys. ill be taking pics to post of the tear down in the car over the next week or so.

junctrac
12-03-2009, 08:36 PM
i agree that the ford 9" is great for strength and reliability and id say go for it if your making a 700hp drag car but to keep its behavior and handling like stock toyota irs would be best, what would you take the 8.8 off of?

im saying in the long run you would have alot less time and money into putting in a alltrac rear subframe or supra.
you would probably already have disc brakes and maby lsd, driveshaft would be same bolt pattern, might even be able to use stock strut mounts, and the main benefit is all the big fabrication is done and engineered.
Pinion angle done.
anti-squat angle and roll center all set up perfect for a car similar to size and weight of yours in a nice compact little assembly.

try to set up a 9" with all that and you are into some coin already, and there getting hard to find in junkyards for decent price anymore. you could find a AT rear assembly for cheap i have two ill sale you my old one but sorry the lsd one is going into my car...
and like shadow said an AT rear pan will fit in place perfectly to a 5th gen unless you like sheet metal work it will save alot of work... food for thought..

junctrac
12-03-2009, 08:47 PM
oh and also dont forget to look into what track widths the different setups will give you.

Mr.Shaun91
12-04-2009, 04:52 AM
ya i know the 9" would be great. but im not going for 700whp. im thinking 450-500whp is all i want.
as for the 8.8, i can rip one out of a older mustang in a junkyard for pretty cheap. they go for under $200 out here. and having a few mustang yards around i should be able to come across one pretty easy.
i want to stay with IRS because i wont be doing much 1/4 mile track racing with it. im building this car for roadcourse racing. time trials and yada yada yada.

junctrac
12-04-2009, 05:33 AM
isent the only thing mustangs ever had are solid axles? And thats what im saying keep it IRS, and the easiest way to get it is a yota sub assembly.

Murgatroy
12-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Mustangs always had a solid axle except for the `99-`04 Cobras.

Mr.Shaun91
12-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes Murg your right. and they had the 8.8 rearend in them. IRS

Hipster Lawrence
12-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Mustangs always had a solid axle except for the `99-`04 Cobras.

You could also junkyard dive for T-bird IRS rear ends.

Mr.Shaun91
12-05-2009, 10:04 PM
were those the 8.8's? i know the explorer's have them too. 02 and newer i believe.

Grot
12-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Some of rangers have the 8.8 under them. the rest have the 7"

Hipster Lawrence
12-06-2009, 12:31 AM
were those the 8.8's? i know the explorer's have them too. 02 and newer i believe.

The Exploder IRS is completely different than the t-bird/mustang type rear end.

The explorer rear end is a POS.

Grot
12-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Expo rear isnt what you want as Larry said. It is more for offroading. Stick with the mustang t-bird

Mr.Shaun91
12-06-2009, 06:39 PM
ok so some rangers, tbirds and mustangs.... thats where ill look beginning of the year.