PDA

View Full Version : need y'all's input

anachranerd
12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey there,

I might be buying another car, just want some opinions from you all.

My daily driver is a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE, 5 spd manual. I love this car. Handles amazing, has great power. It has some issues though.

Going to make a long story short about the transmission. I did a clutch job about 50k miles ago, and failed miserably. Lets just say the tranny and engine didnt slide together perfectly smooth, and were forced together by tightening the bolts. Needless to say the TO bearing didnt work so well, and i had to take it to a dealer who pulled it apart and found a shattered TO bearing. They redid my clutch, but ever since then, my car rattles when ever i release the clutch pedal. Whether idling or in gear, if the clutch pedal is not pressed in, i get a rattling.

besides that, the drivers side axle seal keeps leaking. i replaced it, two weeks later it is leaking again. took it to a shop, and they said the axle was rattling around, not seating properly in the tranny. they said i may have transmission troubles. they replaced my axle, and it worked good for a few weeks, and again it is leaking.

So i think my tranny might be shot. It still shifts well, drives well, but the rattling drives me nuts, and my third axle is going bad in a row.

Got other problems, albeit not as serious. Got a catalytic converter code causing a CEL. That will fail emissions come august. To replace all three cats will be 1000$ in parts.

My driver window keeps catching on the weather stripping. and doesnt want to go up sometimes. the passenger window motor is very slow. the window switch on passenger side is inoperative.

the cd player doesnt work.

i think one of my ball joints or something in the suspension is worn. the car makes a knocking noise on rough surfaces or going over bumps- i know the loose axle is part of the problem, but something else in there is making noise.

This maxima is paid off.

So I am tired of repeatedly fixing problems with my DD. I have a choice. Buy a brand spanking new altima with 280HP and a three year warranty. But have a 4-500$ a month payment. Its a crappy economy, and i dont necessarily want to commit to 4-500 a month. I could also take out a loan for 6 grand, buy a new transmission, engine rebuild kit, new axles, new brakes, fix the windows, and new sensors, basically overhaul the bitch. And only have about a 100$ payment.

I either want to completely fix my current, or buy a new one with warranty. Either way not have to worry about my DD.

I have an 88 celica GTS that is in a million pieces being rebuilt/customized right now. And I do not want to use it as a daily driver. I want to keep it as a project car.

Suggestions? Opinions? Anything?

RedRkt01
12-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Whatever you do don't get rid of the 4th Gen. Beyond that, I don't care what you do..... BTW......shoot me pics of you GTS at redrkt02@yahoo.com. I'll see if it needs anything I have lying around the parts depot (basement ;))

anachranerd
12-02-2009, 01:20 AM
oh the 4th gen is going nowhere...its my baby :D

85gtsblackman
12-02-2009, 06:35 AM
buy a toyota truck with a 22r, drive it till the world ends

u may have a total repair cost of 600 dollars over the course of 300,000 miles

Hipster Lawrence
12-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Do you think the max is going to cost you 6,000 to keep running in the next year? I highly doubt it.

Buying a new car NEVER makes sense.

You could replace the transmission, both window motors, regulators, the window switch, the knocking noise, the cats and the cd player for what it would cost for you to own the Altima for about 9 months. Not to mention the $8,000 dollars you lose the minute you drive off the dealer's lot.

Not only that but you'd need to fix some of the maxima's issues anyway if you want to get a decent price for it.

Either get a cheap used car and get rid of the Max or just fix the max but don't buy a new car.

RedRkt01
12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Agreed. Great points Larry.

The Captain
12-03-2009, 11:21 AM
The only cat you probably need to replace is the one with the O2 sensor behind it.

You didn't say how many miles the Maxima has on it. It may be worth it to pitch it and purchase something other than a new car. Never throw good money after bad.

Hipster Lawrence
12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
^^^I've seen lots of p0420's that were caused by the rear o2 and not the cat.

andy
12-03-2009, 05:55 PM
i agree buy a truck, they dont break.

anachranerd
12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
see, ive been needing a truck for some time now, just to haul stuff etc. the 0420 code- i tried replacing the 02's. didnt help. the other thing is I had a bad MAF sensor too for the longest time, dumping lots of unburned fuel into my exhaust. Im sure the cats are probably fouled by now.

the nissan has 170000 on the clock. but damn i love that car. whatever i do, i want to get a new car, or used car and spend the money overhauling it. replace everything at once and be done with it. or overhaul the nissan. id be more than happy to take 4-5 days off work, use some vacation time, buy all the parts and just rebuild me a car.

I like the power of my nissan. so if i replace it, i want something with its power. Plus it is a luxury sedan, which i dont mind.

Blackcloud
12-05-2009, 08:29 PM
ill sell you my truck for $34k