PDA

View Full Version : Need unbiased advice.

Flat_Tire_72GTO
11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Hey, I joined this forum many years ago. I've been inactive for some time due to not owning a Celica anymore. I'm trying to decide what to do for my next project car. I've currently got a 00 accord coupe with F23A1. My previous car was a 90 Celica with a 5SFE. I'm also a car audio enthusiast and am looking to compete this year. My first audio build landed me a 143.8bd score and a 1st place trophy in an SPL comp in stock 3. I know I can hit 148 without deadening.

I need some serious unbiased advice. Here are the options:

5th gen celica preferably with a 3sgte, otherwise I'll do the swap myself.
mid to late 90s civic or a crx, type-r or turbo swap
keep my accord and either go for the H22 or turbo my F23.

Pros:

Celica - Hatchback (good for SPL comps), comes stock turbo, moderatly modifiable, lots of online resources, very tunable, rarer vehicle.

Civic/CRX - Stupid amount of possible mods, unlimited online sources, possible hatch (good for SPL), lightweight.

Accord - Luxurious, slightly modded already, good amount of possible mods available, V6 capable.

Cons:

Celica - Harder to find parts, will require lots of work.

Civic/CRX - Super common, known wheel well rust issues, parts 2X-3X as much as toyota parts.

Accord - Harder to find performance parts, trunk bad for SPL.

If anyone disagrees with any of the above statements or has anything to add, feel free. Please don't be biased, as the topic states. I know this is a Celica forum which is why I would like to hear your guys' opinions. Here is a link to my previous Celica project and my current Accord project:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3012320/
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2046237/

Sean
11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Buy my car. Has the 3sgte, the sound system, your set. Save yourself 10k.

VikingJZ
11-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Buy my car. Has the 3sgte, the sound system, your set. Save yourself 10k.

X2

Anything based on the Civic will yield you parts like none other.

An EG hatch (92-95) would be good for stereo competition.

You can pick them up for very cheap.

An EK (96+) will be a bit more, but newer looking and probably in better shape.

Find one that is bone stock and has absolutely NO modifications to it.

I don't care if it only has an intake, do NOT buy it. Its likely been beat on. I say this for any car. Its better to buy something stock and do it yourself, unless you know the car or can get information from the owner (like Sean).

I bought a Del Sol for a daily driver and the only modification was a Kenwood CD player from Best Buy.

Civics are great cars for the money, especially when you just want something good on gas and reliable.

GT4SOM
11-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I say buy Seans Celica. Its a good deal, clean and its fast. I wouldn't suggest a Honda because they are more commonly stolen then a Celica. In my area, there are tons of Honda stolen. No body really knows whats up with the Celica. Also you can put Celica parts in a Honda LOL.

mlwmlw
12-01-2009, 12:00 AM
I say get the celica, and maybe build a wall behind the two front seats, and put massive subs in there. THats how my car was when I got it, sounded great with 2 kicker l7 subs, capacitor & 700watt jensen amp!

I am not that into subs, but I bought my car from someone that did competitions, and supposedly it won a few trophies.

BTW that's some good DB's ya got there!

Ghosty
12-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Sean's Celica.

Just take good care of it. Or we'll come by and cut off your balls.

HAVE A NICE DAY!

Night_Wolf
12-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Celica! Theyre the underdog, like with my 3SGTE ST, nobody knows whats up with it and they think with my N1 Exhaust I'm all rice.

Shadowlife25
12-01-2009, 04:53 AM
Car-wise, I won't tell you which way to go.
Others have listed their views and you obviously already have a preference.
I say this because if you didn't, you wouldn't be asking for "unbiased" advice on a TOYOTA forum.

That being said, my days of SPL comps are waaaay behind me.
I am a fan of SQ.
I'm not looking to showcase my music for anyone but me.

I can however direct you to some great resources and help you out if you are looking to get into competitions in the SQ or Installation categories.
Like I said, DB drags just aren't my thing anymore. ;)

You need to decide on a couple things as I see it:

1.BUDGET
2.PREFERRED PLATFORM

Number 1 will dictate just how far you can go with #2, so keep that in mind.

Mr. Babb
12-01-2009, 04:54 AM
An EG hatch (92-95) would be good for stereo competition.

You can pick them up for very cheap.

Where? I cant seem to find one local for under 4-5k. I want a stock one with a running motor, Im doing some work on one of my buddies hatches with a h22 and he has another rust bucket hatch with a fully built b18c1 with like 10 miles on it; I want to get the b18 and swap it into another car

VikingJZ
12-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Damn, must be a southern thing.

There was one locally that was about $2,000. Paint was faded but had no rust. It did have a hole in the muffler and the driver seat was ripped in a few spots. Mechanically, it was an excellent car. I wanted a Del Sol though.

Mr. Babb
12-01-2009, 05:29 AM
del sol's are too heavy, hatch ftw.............../thread jack

Freshnicity
12-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Del Sol = fail even though i do like them lol.

I say Celica, Seans to be honest, clean car.

And to be honest, Honda parts are not really expensive, least for the ones you mentioned. I know a dude that has a civic coupe on a D16, turbocharged of course, running 13.5 quarter miles on 10psi on a 14b(or g) DSM turbo. All for 4k

Flat_Tire_72GTO
12-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Well for starters I already have a sound system, just needs a custom box. I spent about 5k on it just this year.

I'm not too concerned about gas and yes it will be my daily and I really want it to stand out, go to shows, meets, etc etc.

One of you guys mentioned not to buy anything that isn't completely stock cause of known abuse issues, which is understandable cause I always push my cars to their limits. Mind you I've only ever owned a Toyota or Honda, so I know they can take it :P This kinda contradicts buying Sean's Celica, I don't personaly know Sean and wouldn't know the history of the car.

The reason I said looking for unbiased advice is cause I also posted on a civic forum aswell. Unfortunately I live in Canada so to buy Sean's Celica would be all but perfect because I do not have 5k lying around, getting it across the border will cost even more, and getting a VI so i can have it insured here.

Yeah I used to have a stereo is my GT-S and it was so disgustingly loud with low end equipment, I can only imagine the potential for window shattering spl with my new gear.

EDIT: H22s are like 3k, and 3sgtes are like 1500.