PDA

View Full Version : Side Protection Moulding Removal - any holes? Experiences?

Ghosty
11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
I've noticed over the years a few Celicatech Celicas who have removed the standard factory side mouldings, and I'm a big fan of the look.

Since the ST trim has black mouldings, it's really conspicuous, especially on a white body like mine. I'd like to take them all off, but I've got some concerns. Anyone who's done this operation before, your advice would be extremely helpful.

First, being a 1992, how likely do you think it is that removing the side mouldings will take off a layer of paint? How bad is that adhesive? I can't afford a respray right now.

Second, kind of relates to the first question, but how bad do you imagine paint fade to be? Am I going to have an enormous splotch on the side of my Celica? The car is 17 years old, it's been garaged for about 5 of those 17 years. The rest outside, in the elements. Again, can't afford a respray.

Lastly, I've looked through the BGB (http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/93celica/bo/sideprotectionmoulding.pdf), and nowhere does it mention these mouldings covering up holes on any of the body panels. It looks like pure adhesive is keeping the mouldings to the car, and there would be no holes for screws or any sort of connecting hardware. Is this a fact? The side mouldings aren't covering any holes?

Thanks!

85gtsblackman
11-30-2009, 01:30 AM
dont do it

kungFUBAR
11-30-2009, 01:44 AM
The belt-line molding is held on with foam double-sided tape. The easiest way to remove it is Goo-Gone or lighter fluid and a razor blade. Just be careful with the razor blade so you don't scrape the paint off with the tape/tape adhesive. After it's off, you might need to go over the area with a polishing compound to get any small scratches out.

Ghosty
11-30-2009, 01:48 AM
dont do it

Why?

joe's gt
11-30-2009, 01:49 AM
I have it removed and have had no ill effects, but I repainted my car after removing it. Even the holes are exposed and no problems so far. Altho I live in Cali, so weather isn't too much of an issue.

I'd imagine though the difference in paint will be fairly noticeable and taking it off will be pretty hard without damaging the paint.

Ghosty
11-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Even the holes are exposed and no problems so far.

So, there are holes that the strip is covering?

93cc
11-30-2009, 03:00 AM
yes... atleast on my 93 Alltrac there are

85gtsblackman
11-30-2009, 03:07 AM
enjoy your new belt line door dings

METDeath
11-30-2009, 03:08 AM
Yes, there were holes a 92/3 vert door as well.

tuner4life
11-30-2009, 03:20 AM
On my 1992 GT hatch, there were 2 holes on the door, and 2 holes on the quarter panel on each side. I wouldn't remove the trims unless you are going to repaint it, and when you do, have someone weld up those holes.

Ghosty
11-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Ok then!

Guess what I'm not doing? Removing my side moldings.

Thanks, guys!