PDA

View Full Version : need help with a swap

b_radical2006
11-28-2009, 04:19 AM
i have a 1993 geo prism or toyota corolla, whatever you want to call it. i am about to do a swap im going from a 1.6 to a 3sgte and i was wondering what i would have to do to be able to have a turn key op. i guess what im asking is, is there any wiring i would have to do for the 3sgte's wiring harness to clip into every connection. any help would be very nice. also i dont know how to use this site so some help there would be nice too.

Murgatroy
11-28-2009, 04:34 AM
Yes. Lots of wiring.

There is also welding in motor mounts, getting a new transmission and a new crossmember.

If you want to be technical, the wiring is the easy part.

What questions do you have regarding the site, that will be much easier to explain.

Night_Wolf
11-28-2009, 04:52 AM
Haha the wiring is a mess, but its not super bad. I did mine myself, granted I had a 91 ST. I used modified a crossmember for a GT Celica, and as for the trans I used an 00 Solara E153. If this is your Daily Driver, I wouldn't recommend doing it, cause it took me two and a half months to get all the quirks worked out.

bobblyhead
11-28-2009, 04:54 AM
I have seen a 3SGTE powered corolla on the web. Seemed pretty fast, but I think it would required some custom fab. If budget or time isn't an issue, it would probably be a sweet ride. Keep in mind that a 4AGE 16V, 4AGE 20V,or a 4AGZE will probably be easier/cheaper swap. I would think that getting a 3SGTE into a ST will be easier as some of the parts are swappable with other 3SGTE equppied Celica. For the Corolla, maybe custom mounts, crossmembers, and the such. But welcome and good luck on your ride. Using the search button is a great way to start. :)

Night_Wolf
11-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Haha yea I agree, I was able to nab parts from other Celicas to get mine to work and I had to fab a few things, but I think it turned out well :)

Kanoodle
11-28-2009, 05:03 AM
I have speed source 3sgte/5sfe motormounts you can have for $300+shipping. That's what I paid for them. Was going to do a 3s swap in my aw11 but don't think it will ever happen.

bobblyhead
11-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Here's the 3SGTE powered Corolla.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2346246

Kanoodle
11-28-2009, 12:12 PM
That thing is too riced out for my taste LOL

Radical:
Do you have a budget for this swap? Because I am sure Dr Tweak can build you a plug and play harness, I have the mounts you will need, rigging them might be a task, and find a solution to your crossmember problem. Next would be hubs and axles, the MR2 or Celica ones might be the length you need???:luvydunno

Also you can search on the web for people that have done this specific swap before and ask them about some of their solutions for these problems.

Do you have the tools and skills to fab stuff your self or know someone who can do it for you?

b_radical2006
11-29-2009, 12:49 AM
i have all the stuff to do it with and i know someone who can fab everything this guy i know put an RB26DETT into a 1993 240sx and kept original cpu did the wiring himself, and swapped from a auto to a manual. he should be able to do the fab. it will be my daily driver after i get it finished. until then im going to be driving a junk jeep

Night_Wolf
12-02-2009, 07:43 PM
it will be my daily driver after i get it finished. until then im going to be driving a junk jeep

I would have much preferred a Jeep as a DD while I was doing my swap, I was stuck with a 91 Buick Coupe that was rolled :( I called it Death Buick

b_radical2006
12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
lol thats funny at least you didnt have to walk anywhere. im having second thoughts about doin my swap cant find the money

Night_Wolf
12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Haha I had second thoughts about mine too as I was halfway through. I had thoughts about scrapping the whole thing but now that it drives...I'm glad I did it!

b_radical2006
12-04-2009, 05:03 AM
well see i havent even started this swap yet and the motor and trans is only costing me 1200 dollars but i just cant find the money to get it and and all the odds and ends from the junk yard to actually be able to shift the gears right and press the clutch my car is a front wheel drive and its an automatic so its gonna be a pain. thinking about building an rb car but i dunno maybe a 240 sx with a with a supercharged LS1

Night_Wolf
12-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Ooo yea, doing a manual swap would suck, mine was already a manual when i did it so it wasnt that bad.