PDA

View Full Version : ST165 Suspension Setup Suggestions

Andrew.wa
11-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Hello out there.
Just a little about the car:
I bought an 88 all-trac a little over a year ago in hopes of restoring it and having a fun and unique car to drive. It has and still has about 142k miles. It was completely stock, body and interior in pretty good shape, (other than sunroof rust). No known mechanical issues other than AC not working. Since then I've installed stock replacements for the manifold/turbo, and front axle. And a starter relay.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/sidewinder0010/alltrac/9-16-09/th_IMG_0808-2.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/sidewinder0010/alltrac/9-16-09/?action=view&current=IMG_0808-2.jpg)http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/sidewinder0010/alltrac/9-16-09/th_IMG_0811-2.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/sidewinder0010/alltrac/9-16-09/?action=view&current=IMG_0811-2.jpg)

The suspension has got to be replaced though.
I live in western Washington, USA and my friends and I take regular trips to the mountains. Without actually rallying it I'd like something in spirit of the rally heritage of the vehicle, that will perform and have clearance on gravel/dirt roads without out sacrificing all ride-ability in the city.
I have been saving for this, I'm willing to pay for a good value. I don't like buying cheap stuff or buying something ridiculously over the top either. I guess I was hoping for the 800-1200 range. But I have more to spend >.<

I mainly think I need shocks/springs or a coilover setup, but I guess I really need a suspension makeover. New swaybar, bushings? I'm not really sure what all is involved.

My friend is partial to coilovers because of the adjustable ride height, but redrkt PMed me a while back and was partial to Koni struts...
Reading here, I see you can pair a strut setup with a coilover conversion.... sounds expensive, but looks like the best of both worlds.

Can anyone offer suggestions? And Redrkt I'm hoping you can hook me up :D

-Thanks for any advice,
-Andrew

Grot
11-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Kevin (redrkt01) is the guy to talk to. He is resident 4th Guru and sells wverything you would need.

Rick89GTS
11-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Off topic but how thick of spacers did you have to run on your 165 with those Gen6 rims?

Andrew.wa
11-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Rick, I don't know. They were on the car when I bought it and, well, I don't know what spacers are. sorry :\

Rick89GTS
11-30-2009, 03:03 AM
^Wheel spacers are are metal disks that fit between the rim and the hub to move the wheel depth in or out. Do a Google image search and you'll see what they look like.

KoreanJoey
11-30-2009, 03:21 AM
PS: Andrew, come hop onto www.pstoc.org

It's the local Toyota club, we do lots of events, shows, etc.

ChrisD
11-30-2009, 04:14 AM
I can't comment on a coilover setup, but I can say what I did and what I think of it.

My setup is basically:

-Intrax lowering springs (great springs, progressive rate, good for almost any road type)
-KYB AGX front struts (good adjustability, on full stiff give a really good performance oriented ride)
-KYB GR2 rear struts (ST185 rear fitment, thinking was that they would be rated for the higher weight of the front of the vehicle, offering a slight upgrade over stock - I am happy with it)
-Whiteline rear sway bar and poly bushings f/r (this is the best upgrade you can do to the car for the dollar)
-New swaybar end links (the joints are usually toast - some good aftermarket ones available for decent prices)

IMHO this setup is a great benefit for the relatively lower cost. Adjustable fronts which allows some control. Ride height is great. Car performs really well I think.

If I did it again and had a bit more cash, I think I might look at coilovers though. A lot more have come on the market since I did my setup, some really good options out there now for really decent prices. :)

RedRkt01
12-01-2009, 03:43 AM
I'm all about somewhere in between.

Andrew.wa
12-01-2009, 03:58 AM
@Rick: thanks. I'll check next time I'm at my garage and let you know.
I haven't been driving it because the clunking (somewhere in the suspension I'm pretty sure) is so bad that I'm afraid something maybe being damaged.

@KoreanJoey: thanks for the heads up I will check that out. I'd really like to come to some events once I have her roadworthy :p

@ChrisD: Thanks for sharing. Gives me something to go off of.

My biggest concern is most kits come with lowering springs. I don't know if that actually means I'm going to be losing clearance. I'd like to not have to worry about potholes on gravel roads. I guess since I really don't know how much clearance I may need, or I'd like to change it for city, coilovers are appealing.

Anyone know what sort of difference you get between the konis and agx struts?

@RedRkt: reply to my pm please :]

RedRkt01
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
@RedRkt: reply to my pm please :]

Workin' on it1 ;)

ChrisD
12-01-2009, 06:07 PM
On the clunking, check the rear diff mount. A common issue...a lot of people poly fill them.