PDA

View Full Version : keys?

CelicaSteven
11-25-2009, 03:57 AM
i am kinda upset right now. so i got an old 77 celica today, but it only has one key. i need more keys made, but neither pep boys nor lowes can make em! does anyone know a good place besides a locksmith i can get a key from?

Grot
11-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Stealership?

Murgatroy
11-25-2009, 04:34 AM
Find a decent locksmith. They can make you the keys from the original.

It might cost a penny or two, but having more than one key is worth it.

Fox 21 Alpha
11-25-2009, 04:54 AM
The dealership is supposedly able to look up the number based on the VIN or the code on the lock itself and cut you an original key. I have yet to get it done, so no idea how much the price is

CelicaSteven
11-25-2009, 06:19 AM
dealership. ugg well probably cheaper than going to a locksmith. ill probably head over there in like a week. i hadnt thought of them though. thanks!

Waffles!
11-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I had Toyota make me 2 keys for the MR2. It was maybe $25 total.

T-spoon
11-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Dealership may actually have trouble getting blanks for a 77, but it's worth a shot.

Also, if they can get the blanks, I recommend they trace your current working key (as long as it's not bent) rather than cut from VIN. The older and more worn the key and lock cylinders are, the less likely a brand new key cut from the VIN is to actually work, and would probably require extra grinding to work.

andy
11-27-2009, 05:50 PM
they can make you one on the spot from your original key code. whipped out two for me in 10 min. was 15 dollars.

VikingJZ
11-27-2009, 05:56 PM
I had some made at Ace Hardware in town.

They had a little trouble finding a key but eventually found one.

I have three keys for my 76.

andy
11-27-2009, 08:52 PM
its the same key as my 86 corolla. so i know they still have them.

T-spoon
11-27-2009, 09:07 PM
they can make you one on the spot from your original key code. whipped out two for me in 10 min. was 15 dollars.

But I don't recommend this unless you don't have a choice. If you do this, and the keys don't work right away, don't be too shocked and if the blank had to be special ordered (which they probably will be unless they just HAPPEN to have that blank in stock), you'll have to wait. Trust me, trace the original if you have it and it's not bent. I'm not talking out of my ass here. If you had keys cut off code for an older car and it worked right away, that's awesome, but that doesn't mean it will always be that way.

On a newer car? Sure, cut off the VIN/key code all day long, but I've seen it turn out poorly many a time on older cars and then people don't want to pay for the key that was already cut.

bloodMoney
11-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I just had one made for me at the stealership in MI and the guy said that he could make keys off of the vehicle VIN # as old as '88.

He told me that any older than that and he'd have to make a copy off the one that I had and hope that the key cylinders hadn't been changed out.