PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

KoreanJoey
11-24-2009, 06:32 AM
So...

I'm torn. I've got two Celicas. I've got my Grey GT Coupe; which is what most of you guys know, but I've also got a White GTS that's currently has it's drivetrain sitting beside it. I'm torn as to which car I should build for track use and which one to use as a daily.

The original plan was to take all the good bits off of the Grey car and put them in the white car since it's got a fresh chassis (well, less abused) and the widebody, allowing me to run the tires I want without too much issue (275/35R15). BUT the car is really clean, both inside and out and just in good shape throughout..

But, there is a problem with running the Grey car. I've been doing all of my National events in a different car (actually usually a truck). Reason being is that the Grey car has been running FSP regionally through an exemption from the regional board. It's not legal in the class due to the 3SGE. And now that I've had to weld in the core support it's really not legal in the class. So I'd have to run Prepared class... I guess in all honestly I'd like to run in the class as it allows for all the things I'd like to do with the car (engine mods, custom suspension geometry, chassis stiffening) but it's a lot of money to compete. Hell, tires alone would be a pretty big investment, especially considering how little life I'd get out of them (Looking @ 2 sets a season).

So I don't know what to do. Run the White car in FSP with the 5S while swapping the suspension with the Grey car and streeting it or keep building the Grey car and just get the White car back on the road.

*shrug*

CriScO
11-24-2009, 08:02 AM
This one is kind of tough. Because AutoX requires a good deal of skill it isn't quite as bad as say, drag or circle track, but the modified class still has the same problem. There will always be some asshole with less skill but more money.

On the other hand, would you enjoy running a motor with that much less power? At your skill I'd think you'd be bored as hell. I can see it being too easy to control.

I don't know man.

KoreanJoey
11-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Actually I have fun regardless of the car. If anything the less powerful, slower cars make it more vital to get everything right. The issue is how it compares to other cars within the class. As much fun as I have driving, I have more fun competing.

Remember, the big thing with autoX is you only have 3 maybe 4 chances to get it right in a day, doesn't matter the car.

Up here in the Northwest Region we've got the best competition in the nation. More National Champions are born out of this region than any other. I think part of it is this growing competition here regionally and also the fact we're exposed to every bit of crap weather throughout our season so anything that happens on the big day doesn't really catch up off guard.

I guess either way it'll be a lot of wrenching and a lot of money to get either car prepared to where I want it. It'll either be street prepared or straight prepared... *shrug*

donteatbugs
11-24-2009, 02:36 PM
well my car isnt supposed to be ST because i have to modify my fender liner to run a cai. noone complains though. id say run the one you can make the lightest. that will help more than power really. if you can get the gt-s down to a good weight and still be legal id go for it and leave the 5s in it as long as its healthy.

METDeath
11-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Does the GTS have any spiffy options like System 10 or power lumbar? If it does, keep it as a daily and find another coupe for auto cross.

MCcelica
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm with MET on that one.

Hiko
11-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Just run SMF in the grey coupe. I don't think that anybody would care about the welded core support, the 3sge will be legal (nationally), and you can do everything it seems you want to do (minus suspension geometry) to it. The GT-S is heavier, and with the right bracing, the coupe should be stiffer even with the abuse.

The GT-S is more of a cruiser than a racer anyway.

KoreanJoey
11-25-2009, 09:14 AM
well my car isnt supposed to be ST because i have to modify my fender liner to run a cai. noone complains though. id say run the one you can make the lightest. that will help more than power really. if you can get the gt-s down to a good weight and still be legal id go for it and leave the 5s in it as long as its healthy.

I run nationally, if it doesn't comply with the rules I can almost guarantee I'd get protested.

KoreanJoey
11-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Just run SMF in the grey coupe. I don't think that anybody would care about the welded core support, the 3sge will be legal (nationally), and you can do everything it seems you want to do (minus suspension geometry) to it. The GT-S is heavier, and with the right bracing, the coupe should be stiffer even with the abuse.

The GT-S is more of a cruiser than a racer anyway.

I don't think I make enough power to compete in SMF w/ the uber powered neons and what-not.

However, I think I could run in EP against all the GTis and whatnot.

That's pretty much what I've decided. Gut the coupe and try to get as close to 1900lbs as I can (interior, bumpers, harness, glass, dash, etc) add some stiffness to the car, built some RCAs to retain geometry and get the car down a good 2-3 inches.

KoreanJoey
11-25-2009, 09:17 AM
And oh yeah, non DOT slicks FTW. Especially up here where it takes FOREVER to get heat into a set of V710s.

KoreanJoey
11-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Found Hoosier Bias Ply road racing slicks for $100 a pop new!

WOOT