PDA

View Full Version : Short shifter issues?

4thgenceli
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Forgive me, I lost about half of my knowledge over the past few days due to personal family issues.

I'm looking to throw the TWM shifter into my swap. I have the ACT clutch (6puck unsprung w/ HD pressure plate). Trans is the e153 from a mr2 with the TRD 1.5way LSD.

I recall 'somewhere' VERY VERY vaugely about installing a short shifter into a car that didn't have one. Something about since the throw is shorter, the gears don't have time to slow down & premature wear and tear on the gears happens.

Anyone have some insight into this? Is there something other than intentionally slowing down the shifts to prevent grinding?

Murgatroy
11-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Never heard this.

I have a short shifter in Mudhoney, and I have driven synchronized and non synchronized transmissions.

All a short shifter does is makes the throw to change gears shorter. That is it. It doesn't change the amount of travel of the transmission cables or anything else. All you are doing is lowering the fulcrum of the shift lever.

4thgenceli
11-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Never heard this.

I have a short shifter in Mudhoney, and I have driven synchronized and non synchronized transmissions.

All a short shifter does is makes the throw to change gears shorter. That is it. It doesn't change the amount of travel of the transmission cables or anything else. All you are doing is lowering the fulcrum of the shift lever.
Mk. Must of had smoke blown at me then. I really can't remember where I was told this.

thanls murgy.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-22-2009, 05:00 PM
+1 to what Murg said. I've had mine in for well over a year, almost two, and no problems. It just makes the shift pattern shorter.

I've got the TWM and I love mine.

4thgenceli
11-22-2009, 05:10 PM
+1 to what Murg said. I've had mine in for well over a year, almost two, and no problems. It just makes the shift pattern shorter.

I've got the TWM and I love mine.
thats what i'm looking to buy today. Seeing as how I need to pull it all out anyway to put the new cables in, may as well replace this.

Nitro_Alltrac
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I bought mine from TWM through Ebay. They had a Best Offer set up and I got it for like $20 or $30 under list. If you haven't got one yet, check that out and see if they're still doing that.

KoreanJoey
11-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Forgive me, I lost about half of my knowledge over the past few days due to personal family issues.

I'm looking to throw the TWM shifter into my swap. I have the ACT clutch (6puck unsprung w/ HD pressure plate). Trans is the e153 from a mr2 with the TRD 1.5way LSD.

I recall 'somewhere' VERY VERY vaugely about installing a short shifter into a car that didn't have one. Something about since the throw is shorter, the gears don't have time to slow down & premature wear and tear on the gears happens.

Anyone have some insight into this? Is there something other than intentionally slowing down the shifts to prevent grinding?

Yes it is true, the faster you shift the harsher it is on your synchros. Just physics. It's going to happen. But, again, synchros are supposed to be a wear part. Make sure you regularly change your trans fluid and you should be fine.