PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a header

toyotaguy90
11-18-2009, 11:40 PM
As many of you know california blows in regards to car laws. My factory cat is clogged pretty bad. I really want to buy Freshnicity's header for sale and i was wondering if anyone knew of a clever way i could disguise it? I live in an area that i don't have to smog regularly. I'm more worried about CHP looking under my hood again. I was wondering if there was a way i could get a factory shroud over the header and maybe have it powdercoated a dull grey so it looks like it fits. I am getting a high flow cat and a quiet resonator so i don't even know if i will even be bothered. What do you guys think? Oh, also i have a Ca emissions car will unplugging my secondary 02 sensor throw any codes or cause any problems?

CriScO
11-19-2009, 05:50 AM
The only way I can imagine getting away with it is the factory header from a late Camry. But even that's iffy.

You can probably rig the heat shield to fit over an aftermarket, but it feels like a longshot to me.

joe's gt
11-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Rust colored paint? idk man, I have been trying to figure out ways to get around smog ever since I got into cars. Unless you got a friend or pay out the ass under the table, you are SOL in cali.

toyotaguy90
11-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah, screw it i'm just going to put it on there and keep my new system quiet and cross my fingers that i don't get messed with.

joe's gt
11-19-2009, 11:37 PM
I'd say smog is the thing you really got to be worried about. Don't know how hard it is to swap those mani's out.

toyotaguy90
11-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Not yet i don't i'm sure ill find out very shortly alot of those bolts look pretty rusted.

KM
11-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Is your current manifold causing you to fail emissions?
Another choice might be to swap back to stock before you get tested.

toyotaguy90
11-20-2009, 01:10 AM
I don't have to do regular emmission checks in my area that i live in. I am only concerned with the CHP seeing it and towing my shit. I only have to smog it if i sell it.

chaos_gts
11-20-2009, 01:31 AM
i think the check engine light might come on if you change the header since it deletes the cat and I think that the secondary O2 sensor is to see if the cat is working. Since its not there it might think its not functioning properly. My CEL was on while i hade my Surewin header on it even when i ran both sensors, and as soon as i put the stock mani back on it went off. Thats just my experience though :)

toyotaguy90
11-20-2009, 05:10 AM
Yeah i was a little concerned with that, i figured i could have a shop weld a bung into my high flow cat and ill just run the secondary 02 sensor down under the car.

joe's gt
11-20-2009, 06:19 AM
I do think the 2nd o2 throws a code. not 100% on that tho.

They may have CA and non-CA ecu's in which case just getting one of the rev1 5sfe non-CA ecu's would solve the CEL issue.

toyotaguy90
11-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Thats true, if i could get my hands on one of those for a fair price i might just do that.

VikingJZ
11-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I hate emissions laws man.

Rigging that shield up would be a pain.

For that, and CHP being ghey, I am planning a trip from NorCal to SoCal in a chipped Ram Cummins four-door dually blowing black smoke from the north to the south. And then a Prius through Texas for irony's sake.

Simonhla
11-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Thats true, if i could get my hands on one of those for a fair price i might just do that.

I have a 92 non-CA ECU in my garage I think. It's for an Auto though. Don't know if that works for you.

FYI I change the header myself and I am a total mechanical novice. Really wasn't hard at all except one of the last bolts got stripped and it took me literally hours to get it off. Was a huge bitch. An experienced person probably would have done it in minutes.

You could always gut your cat and insert a straight through pipe. For appearances sake this would definitely work and you are essentially accomplishing the same thing without the benefit of a minor weight savings.

toyotaguy90
11-23-2009, 09:44 PM
I am not sure wether an auto ecu would work on my car or not.. maybe someone that knows can chime in on that otherwise i'm just going to extend my 02 sensor down to the cat. Yeah, i bit the bullet and ordered the header. Next up to order is a vibrant high flow cat and silent-power resonator along with a black muffler. I will post up pictures of the whole thing once its all done