PDA

View Full Version : 3s-gte motor question

CoolHand1134
11-17-2009, 09:38 PM
i was given this 3s-gte motor i was wonder what generation the motor was and what wiring harness and ecu i am going to have to find.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy353/coolhand1134/P1010199.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy353/coolhand1134/P1010201.jpg
any help would be nice

i know its in ruff shape but if i can get the parts to make it run it will be a good heart to for my GT

BabyBear
11-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Its a 2nd gen 3sgte. As for what wiring and what not you'll need, I'm not sure for the Celica.

burnyd
11-17-2009, 09:59 PM
what happened to the oil filter lols?

joe's gt
11-18-2009, 06:10 AM
gen2 engine = gen2 harness. Might as well upgrade to gen 3 electronics to get rid of the AFM, but it will be extremely hard to differentiate problems from the engine itself or the electronics conversion without the gen 2 harness to go off of on first start up.

Pheonix Tuning (Dr. Tweak), one of our board vendors, does great wiring work and makes a plug n play harness for the gt.

Sang
11-18-2009, 06:19 AM
It's a Rev1 3SGTE, early gen2, 1990-1991 celica.

CoolHand1134
11-18-2009, 01:17 PM
what happened to the oil filter lols?

the guy i got it from is not the most handy with tools and droped something on it looks like ti happened a few times

CoolHand1134
11-18-2009, 01:21 PM
the motor was free, but doesnt have any wiring to make it run does anyone have a 2nd or 3rd gen 3sgte harness kicking around they would like to sell? i guess i will need the ecu to go with it too

4thgenceli
11-18-2009, 02:11 PM
the motor was free, but doesnt have any wiring to make it run does anyone have a 2nd or 3rd gen 3sgte harness kicking around they would like to sell? i guess i will need the ecu to go with it too
Yes, you'll need at a mininum, engine, ecu and wiring harness.

You may want to poke in the FS section to see if there's some around (rare, but you may find em). Ebay, MR2OC are some other sites you can find em. Also try checking out a local import shop (or an engine importer). There's one here by me that is able to get just the harnesses or ECU's.

Sang
11-18-2009, 06:39 PM

I can't see what accessories you got with this engine, but you are going to need a Rev1 harness. Even a Rev2 (still gen2) harness is going to be a bitch to put in since many of the connectors changed, same goes for Rev3 (gen3) harnesses.

If you didn't know what generation the engine is, it's probably safe to assume you wont know the little changes that Toyota made from each revision. So you might as well make it easy on yourself and buy everything from the same year so it's all PnP.

BabyBear
11-18-2009, 06:45 PM
I've got a rev1 wiring harness and ecu, I don't know if everything is on the wiring harness though. I've also got a rev2 gen2 wiring harness that I know is missing some plugs. Both are for an MR2, not sure if there are differences

CoolHand1134
11-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I can't see what accessories you got with this engine, but you are going to need a Rev1 harness. Even a Rev2 (still gen2) harness is going to be a bitch to put in since many of the connectors changed, same goes for Rev3 (gen3) harnesses.

If you didn't know what generation the engine is, it's probably safe to assume you wont know the little changes that Toyota made from each revision. So you might as well make it easy on yourself and buy everything from the same year so it's all PnP.

i dont know alot about the 3sgte engine i have only worked on the 5sfe but was looking to upgrade to something better

CoolHand1134
11-18-2009, 07:58 PM
I've got a rev1 wiring harness and ecu, I don't know if everything is on the wiring harness though. I've also got a rev2 gen2 wiring harness that I know is missing some plugs. Both are for an MR2, not sure if there are differences

can any one tell me if there is and difference between the MR2 and celica 3sgte wiring harness

GT4SOM
11-18-2009, 08:28 PM
If its the same Revision then I think it should be the same. The only thing that I could think of is that the shape is different. In example the length of the harness. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

rizin
11-20-2009, 04:29 AM
On the mr2 harness he would have to lengthen the harness or make a hole in the firewall to reach the ecu.

Luni
11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Theyre vastly different.

You could make the MR2 harness work by extending it, but on the MR2, the harness goes to the fusebox, directly into the trunk to the ECU on the driver side. On the Celica, the harness wraps around the engine bay and goes through the firewall on the passenger side, then goes up to behind the center area behind the dash where the stereo is.

It wouldnt work without a decent amount of work.

You could however send your current engine harness in, and a rev1 3S harness BabyBear has over to Dr Tweak and he could extend everything and make it all plug and play. Its gonna cost ya tho. He does top notch work, but he doesnt sell himself short.

CoolHand1134
11-20-2009, 05:32 PM
i guess i am going to have to contact some people and crunch the numbers

thanks for the help everyone