PDA

View Full Version : brake question from a newb :)

94CelicaRedHatch
03-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Ok my right rear brake seems to be going to hell. Every time i hit the brake it makes a low grinding noise you could say. I cant imagine anything else is wrong with the car so Im just wondering how much brakes would cost about for a 94 ST? Ill prolly end up replacing at least the rear brakes and the front ones too if needed so Im just trying to get a general idea of what Im going to have to dish out :bigthumbu

Hooligan
03-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Are you going to be replacing them yourself or paying a shop to do them? Drums, I assume?

94CelicaRedHatch
03-30-2005, 11:11 PM
im going to try to get my buddy to help me and yes the drums are only thing i can think of. its been gradualy coming on so ive ruled out something major, just normal wear and tear. if worse comes to worse and im out of options, id get a shop to do it

Hooligan
03-31-2005, 01:52 AM
A brake job on drums isn't just drums. In fact, I don't think the drums usually even get replaced. I don't have drum brakes so I don't know for sure, but I think they usually get turned (similar to getting discs resurfaced). You will need new brake shoes, and I'm pretty sure some of the springs get replaced while you're in there.

Pick up a Chilton's manual for $20 or even better, make a donation to this site so you can access our online tech manuals.

Drag0n
03-31-2005, 05:31 AM
hooligan is right about the hardware replacement, but its only if the parts need replacing. its never a bad idea to replace everything all at once though. if your brakes are grinding, be prepared to replace everything, including the drums if need be.

if you do it yourself, you are probably looking at $150 tops, depending on shoe material, unless you want OEM toyota parts. in that case, lots more.

if you take it to a shop, it should be around $100 again, depending on shoe material

if you do decide to do them yourself, take apart only one side at a time and use the other side as a reference until you get familiar with it