PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: Summer 2010 Bighorn Canyon Run

MCcelica
11-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Ok ladies and gentlemen. As I mentioned in the Dragon thread, some of our more western members have expressed that the drive to get to and from the dragon can be quite unsavory. Thus I propose a more central meet. It's tough to say that many roads in the midwest are in any way comparable to the dragon as most of them are entirely too straight and boring. Which is why I propose a 55 mile stretch of US Highway 50 between Canon City and Salida Colorado, AKA: Bighorn Canyon. Here is a link to the mapped route that you can play with to see the twisties. ---> http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Canon+City&1s=CO&2c=Salida&2s=CO Otherwise here's the picture. http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/BighornMap.bmp

This road can be quite treacherous in the winter, thus I propose it in the summer. Plus its not as touristy in the summer (Ski resorts in the area). Which means there are plenty of hotels in the area for people to stay in, as well as good restaraunts to get your munch on. And being as a summer run would not be in tourist season, I'm sure the places up there would love a big group, as long as the group is behaved.

The road itself follows the path of the Arkansas River, so there's plenty of sick twisties. There are also plenty of cool places to go for photographic reasons. Now I figure if we run the route "backwards" from Salida to Canon City, we could top the run off with a trip up Skyline Drive. That would not be on the list of places to take pictures, and it is not for the faint of heart. That would be a place to pay attention, absorb the AMAZING view, but still drive as you have cliff straight up on the left, and cliff straight down on the right the entire drive.

Right now this is just a feeler, however if it is successful, I feel like it could become an annual gig much like the Dragon. SO. What say you all? A simple yay or nay will give me an idea as to if I should continue with planning and development.

Regards
-MCcelica

Luni
11-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I live farther west than you and I go to the Dragon.

I dunno. To me the Dragon meet is more important, not sure if I could do 2.

MCcelica
11-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Luni, assuming I make it back from the sandbox on time, I'll be going to the Dragon as well. This is just catering more towards people that "Would go to the dragon if it wasn't so far away". It's as centralized as you're going to get, allowing a broader range of members to attend, while still maintaining some "dragonesque" entertainment during the drive.

Luni
11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Find a map online, and post it. Lets see what we got.

MCcelica
11-17-2009, 11:57 PM
The link in my first post is to the map of the route. If you wanted to zoom in closer to examine the twisties, you may. I will post a pic in here (if I can), soon.

MCcelica
11-18-2009, 03:19 AM
Ay, I'm legit on putting this together. I love the route, and the start stop points are beauiful. All that I'd really be waiting for is to see how many people are down, and I also gotta get back to get specific plans together. IE: Which restaraunts/hotels are still open, etc as some of those things change from year to year. I have a couple places in mind that are capable of accomodating larger groups, yet are still locally owned and operated.

I am thinking later on in the summer so as to not conflict with other meets, people's school schedules, while still keeping the weather warm thus making the road safer. That will also allow myself and others plenty of time to plan around it. I'm thinking a weekend long event. 2-3 days to go to the really cool picture points, as well as do the actual run around mid-August if that works. Day 1 being meet and greet and pictures. Day two being the run. And day 3 being "hanging out and watching people take off to go back home" type deal. So quite similar in nature to the Dragon.

CriScO
11-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Too far south. Look off of I-70. :hehe:

Nah, whatever you want to do, you know I'm up for it.

Fubba
11-18-2009, 05:58 AM
I would say look at camp grounds as well. I would rather camp than pay for a hotel. But Im down and Ill see what interest I can get from the MR2 forums.

VikingJZ
11-26-2009, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't be able to do two in one year.

2010 is an exception because I am going back to Knoxville to watch the UT-Oregon football game next fall, so I'll make a trip down and back on the Dragon (maybe, depends on how much time I have. I may leave straight from the game and go home.)

MCcelica
11-26-2009, 07:10 PM
So one yay and one nay so far from ctech. I've got a few more from 6gc. Gonna give it some time to let it meddle in peoples minds before I bring it up more.

And remember, there's lots of big meets that started out as small ones.

CriScO
06-01-2010, 07:39 AM
:bump:
I was just being curious, and noticed that Vernon, B.C. is just 4 miles further than Knoxville from my house. Denver really is the center.

MC, I don't mean to steal your thunder, but I do actually propose that we bring it up here. It's a perfectly central location.

I'm starting to really like this idea either way though, I say we make it a go for 2011.

MCcelica
06-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah, 2011 might work better for me. Lol