PDA

View Full Version : Dodged an accident by inches

Smaay
11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
So my dad ad I were in my car. I was waiting to turn left in the middle of the intersection. the light was already yellow when i got there. I waited untill the cars stopped, by this time the light was red. So istarted to proceede through the turn, then all of a sudden a ford taurus came screaming through the right lane. i couldnt see hime behind the line of cars that were stopped. he slammed on his brakes and slid through the intersection, just scrapping my GT4 bumper. He slid up the curb and into the street light pole.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/DSCN2898.JPG
this is the scrape on my bumper, luckily there was no damage. the guy was probably an illegal alien, gang banging, etc. etc. you name it. he didnt want any part of going through insurance. he gave me 80 bucks and we went on our way. no problem to me, it going to get painted eventually.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/DSCN2899.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/DSCN2900.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/DSCN2901.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/DSCN2902.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/DSCN2897.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/DSCN2896.JPG

celica91gts
11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
you're a lucky guy man, that could have ended horribly. sucks for the ford, has a cracked radiator and he wont make it back home across the boarder.

T-spoon
11-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Your description is a bit unclear. You were turning left just after your left signal was green, or you were turning during yellow->red? What yellow and red are talking about, for the cross traffic or for you?

Nitro_Alltrac
11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Talk about your close shaves! Glad to see only a scrape on the 205!

VikingJZ
11-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Some of the might buff out man. And if you can get it to look as close as you can to where it was before the scuffing, say WIN and take your pops out to lunch!

alistair
11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Gahhh, A red light doesn't mean 'shit holmes! We gotta step on it!!'

It means Stop.

Stupid drivers aside, glad to see there wasn't much damage :)

Slider
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
You got real lucky, glad it was just some scratches. Looks like the taurus got was already in an accident before because all the front end parts are replaced. I guess they never learn do they?

Your description is a bit unclear. You were turning left just after your left signal was green, or you were turning during yellow->red? What yellow and red are talking about, for the cross traffic or for you?

From what I understand he was in the middle of the intersection when the light was yellow waiting to turn left. When the light went red he started to turn left when the other guy blew the red light.

joe's gt
11-16-2009, 07:33 PM
From what I understand he was in the middle of the intersection when the light was yellow waiting to turn left. When the light went red he started to turn left when the other guy blew the red light.

Yeah it was one of those lights where you don't have a green arrow so you have to wait for cross-traffic in order to turn left. Sometimes you don't get a chance to turn while the light is green, so the only chance you get is when the light turns from yellow to red. By that time the intersection is usually clear and you can make your turn. Unfortunately some in Smaay's case some douche came barreling through a red light.

I'd want more than $80 bux tho. Bodywork is anything but cheap.

MCcelica
11-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Sidewalk can haz mirrorz

Cavanagh
11-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Very close call. Glad you guys (and the 6th gen) are okay.

Hipster Lawrence
11-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah it was one of those lights where you don't have a green arrow so you have to wait for cross-traffic in order to turn left. Sometimes you don't get a chance to turn while the light is green, so the only chance you get is when the light turns from yellow to red. By that time the intersection is usually clear and you can make your turn. Unfortunately some in Smaay's case some douche came barreling through a red light.

I'd want more than $80 bux tho. Bodywork is anything but cheap.

Sounds like they both ran the red light.

85gtsblackman
11-17-2009, 12:22 AM
good your safe

i always though it was funny to see someone that had replaced there front end of one with a different color, crash and have a wrecked, multi color car

Smaay
11-17-2009, 12:24 AM
no i was already in the middle of the intersection.laws might be different in GA but in CA on a green light you can go half way out in the intersection to turn left. then go when clear. in my case the light turned yellow just as i entered the intersection, i was waiting to make sure cars were stopping for the yellow>red light. by then the light was red, and it looked like everyone was stopped. so i proceeded to turn when someone in the far right lane blew the red trying to beat the yellow, i couldnt see him behind the string of cars that stopped.

T-spoon
11-17-2009, 01:43 AM
no i was already in the middle of the intersection.laws might be different in GA but in CA on a green light you can go half way out in the intersection to turn left. then go when clear. in my case the light turned yellow just as i entered the intersection, i was waiting to make sure cars were stopping for the yellow>red light. by then the light was red, and it looked like everyone was stopped. so i proceeded to turn when someone in the far right lane blew the red trying to beat the yellow, i couldnt see him behind the string of cars that stopped.

Oh I see, the guy that hit you was oncoming. From the description I kept thinking the guy was on the road you were turning onto, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how he would be running a red. Now I get it ;)

celicaGT90_05
11-17-2009, 03:49 PM
woo thats a close one, very suspicious how he didnt want to report it at all. Good thing you guys didnt get hurt. Looks like the car has been in that situation before since it has 2 different colors

Frenchy
11-18-2009, 12:47 AM
looks like he won't be doing that again anytime soon

Taurus = fail

Hipster Lawrence
11-18-2009, 12:50 AM

Yeah in GA if you are over the line when the light turns red you ran the light.

klapa
12-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Sounds like they both ran the red light.

Same here - "yellow means go like hell - it's about to turn red!"

Still - it is sort of "normal" that once you are in the intersection before the red to be able to turn left just after the red - "normal" but risky too.

Galcobar
12-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Properly, if you're in the intersection when the light turns yellow you should be safe to turn since anyone who hasn't entered the intersection is supposed to stop (yellow means stop, if safe). Unfortunately, most people see yellow as a warning to beat the light as opposed to letting the drivers stuck in the intersection go ahead.

Kind of reminds me of a complaint about red light cameras: "when it's raining, I can't stop fast enough when the light turns yellow to avoid entering the intersection and getting a ticket." Evidently never occurred to the complainer that if he can't stop on yellow because it's raining, he's already committing an infraction -- driving too fast for conditions.

klapa
12-07-2009, 03:55 AM
Yea - well I saved my pennies for too long to risk my precious Celica just to get through a light quickly!

If I get hit - then the car is not worth enough to get paid much of anything by the insurance company - no matter who's fault it was - certainly not to be paid for the love and joy I feel whenever I fire my baby up and just drive - nor the emptiness I would feel without such.

So - I'm just going to always try and exercise patience - and let the idiots fall where they may.... I'll wait for the open road to show my "aggression"!