PDA

View Full Version : Stupid wiper question

alistair
11-14-2009, 05:56 AM
replaced the aging wipers on my celica, hoping that would fix my wiper issues and for the most part it has.

However, the top half of the window on the drivers side isn't getting wiped clean. The arm seems pretty springy, and my wiper (19" Rain-x latitude) is properly attached with an adapter. I put the old wiper on and the issue is still there. I checked the bolt that attaches the arm to the motor and it's on there pretty tight. I didn't torque it any further out of fear of damaging the bolt on the motor.

What should my next step be, replace the wiper arm?

alistair
11-14-2009, 05:10 PM
So, there was a protective coating over the blade that I didn't see in the dark last night. Removed that and it seems to work a lot better. Still not perfect, but way better than it was.

T-spoon
11-14-2009, 06:31 PM
My wipers are pretty streaky on the top half also. It could very well be that the age of these cars the wiper arms are just getting a little weak and not applying full pressure to the blades.

CriScO
11-14-2009, 10:38 PM
:stupid: You generally can't tell if the spring tension is adequate by hand.

Basically what happens with the wiper system is that the arm puts tension on the center of the blade, and the wiper frame distributes it evenly. But since the arm is mostly straight it covers more of the left side of the blade, so there's always more pressure on that side. So as the spring tension weakens the right side of the blade is always the first to stop touching.

More often than not what you're experiencing is a problem of the blade frame not distributing pressure correctly, but since two have done it you've gotta start looking at the arm.

If it isn't really bad yet, one trick is to slightly bend the wiper arm inwards. That'll increase the pressure on the blade. Temporary solution, but works in a pinch.