PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your engine?

Blackcloud
11-12-2009, 03:00 AM
How do you clean your engine?

Blackcloud
11-12-2009, 03:03 AM
i usually spray mine down with some sort of cleaner and then hit it with the pressure washer on low

car
11-12-2009, 03:41 AM
I go through a puddle.

Mine, I don't think, has been clean from the day it left the showroom floor, but if I were to clean it I think I would find out it had more problems than I currently know of.

The bike gets cleaned with a rag, because it gets dirty fast, is visible, small, and easy to clean.

MCcelica
11-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Bi-annually shoot it up with engine brite and rinse down with garden hose. Taking special care not to jack up anything electrical.

alistair
11-12-2009, 04:00 AM
lol, clean my engine...

I think all the crap on my engine is the only thing keeping most of the oil in.

Sang
11-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Light spray with low pressure hose. Spray with Citrus Engine Brite and let it soak, then wash it down with water again. Then spray again with engine brite while scrubbing any particularly dirty areas with an SOS pad. Then wash it all down again with water.

I do this about once a month.

Ryan
11-12-2009, 04:27 AM
I do none of the above... I spray engine degreaser off, thoroughly clean it off with a rag, then polish metal parts, followed by a nice shimmer coat. Occasionally, if there is a lot of spilled fluids for some reason, I will hit it at the car wash.

andy
11-12-2009, 04:29 AM
purple power and a pressure washer.

CriScO
11-12-2009, 06:30 AM
I've done like five of the options at different times, depending on what was bothering me the most at the time. I haven't developed a routine, unfortunately. The coupe started with me sanding and polishing much of the metal you could see/get to easily without removal. Then I started taking little things off here and there, either polishing or painting them.

I never got to the stuff that was a pain to remove or would disable the car for more than a few hours, as I did most of it while bored at work. So it's all superficial. You can look at the nicely painted valve cover and the shiny intake manifold, but lean forward and look between them and you'll see 20 years of grime and spilt oil surrounding the injectors. When I removed the painted heat shield and put the header on I had to pressure wash the block because it was so filthy underneath.

I want it to look good and understand the benefits of easier maintenence and the failure prevention issues, but I just can't justify spending all that time on a 20 year old block while it's still in the car. Seems a waste unless the motor is out and being rebuilt.

Mafix
11-12-2009, 03:17 PM
shiney motor=happy motor.
besides it makes it much easier to work on, find issues and such.

ibtintn
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Every time I wash my car I pop the hood and spray the $hit out of my engine. Get in to every nook and cranny. Then I wipe it down and make it shine.

joe's gt
11-16-2009, 10:55 PM
When you have a power steering, coolant, and oil leak, washing your engine is pointless ;)

Doctor Jinxed
11-19-2009, 04:27 AM
lol, clean my engine...

I think all the crap on my engine is the only thing keeping most of the oil in.
+1

rizin
11-19-2009, 04:46 AM
I use a preesure washer when I find a spot of oil on the drive. Drive it enough to find the leak and fix it. But I did ignore the the power steering leak from the rack caused from a split boot and dirt.

Frenchy
11-19-2009, 06:02 PM
my engine bays don't get dirty... lol

And if they do, I get pissed.

ScottGT-S
11-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Lysol wet wipes, no bacterial will survive!

mlwmlw
11-29-2009, 01:22 AM
I cover the alternator + my short ram air filter with a plastic bag, spray on some degreaser, & spray with a low power nozzle & a pressure washer. Last time I did this my idle went up a little bit. I've heard that if your engine is really dirty (like mud from off roading is all on it) cleaning it can actually help it run better because any high amounts of dirt will insulate the engine and make it a little hotter than it's supposed to be. Never discovered this for myself, but it does make sense.

Mr. Babb
12-01-2009, 04:47 AM
buy front clip, take motor out of clip, clean motor really good, install motor, when residue builds up use mean green, rinse with hose, dry, polish aluminum bits with mothers.

Murgatroy
12-01-2009, 10:58 PM
In the past, when I cared about having a clean and shiny engine I would use oven cleaner. Then I would use some polish on the chrome.

However, Chaos' engine doesn't really get dirty. I mean, yeah, it is a little oily, any engine is, but other than that, she doesn't leak, so the engine gets dusty, and well, I don't bother with that.

VikingJZ
12-02-2009, 05:25 AM
The Celica has received the most in depth detail under the hood I have ever done.

I started with Purple Power and spraying lightly at the car wash.

After everything dried I used Bug and Tar remover to clean everything up and leave a shine.

The side walls and fire wall are showroom clean now. Within the year, it will look completely brand new.

For newer cars, I just spray them to hell and back with Purple Power and pressure wash the engine, and then let it dry. Following, I clean with a rag and make sure everything looks half way decent.

The Celica is the only car I have cared enough to take hours cleaning the bay. Its the only car I have deemed worth it, as its been the nicest car I have ever owned.

sodap0p
12-05-2009, 01:16 AM
I cover the air filter (since its one of those open filters (bought car used)) and cover the distributor cap with plastic bags, then soak the engine with degreaser and then power wash clean.

klapa
12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I usually put some cardboard in front of the radiator to get the engine as hot as possible while I drive to a self service type car-wash place near my home that has variable pressure hot or cold water spray nozzles.

I spray it down with degreaser in a supermarket parking lot just before I get to the car wash place, put bread bags around the distributor, and then spray it down with hot water at the car wash place - using a "back brush" to loosen any possible large gunk areas, as required.

I always need to be careful that the attendant at the car wash place is not looking when I'm spraying the engine and all the gunk is draining into their disposal tank. I do this by having a standard bucket nearby and always having some soap on the car body itself - then I can just switch to "normal washing" if I think the guy might be catching on to the fact that I am clogging up his tank with ten years of gunk.

I just do this once whenever I buy a "new" used car - after that I keep my engine clean at home using a large sheet metal "catch tray" and degreaser spray.

I guess I'm not being really "green" here.....

187flatliner
02-10-2010, 08:41 AM
once a week i spray it down...i even jack up the car and hit the underbody too!......when i did the enhgine swap i cleaned the bay to the point of pointlessness.........so i got a clean bay........i guess.

Luni
08-07-2010, 12:39 AM
When I was in Washington one year I lost my axle seal in the MR2. I had so much crap in my engine bay. I bought like 10 cans of non chlorinated brake cleaner, and I sprayed the hell out of it in the parking lot of walmart. It was pretty clean after that. I still had SOME stuff in there, but it did a helluva job.

JDM92
08-08-2010, 02:33 AM
then engine bay in my car is going to go under a massive clean up, where i will attempt to turn that mess of wire and hose into a clean organised looking engine bay. stupid 3sgte

stephen_lee
08-29-2011, 02:55 AM
spray with degreaser for a few minutes, pressure wash it, then spray the whole bay down with armor all. close hood. done.

next time u open it, will look brand new..