PDA

View Full Version : So a cotter pin saved my life!

joe's gt
11-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Well, at least a lot of damage anyways. Turns out the nut holding the ball joint onto the knuckle worked itself loose.

Had this horrible banging/vibration when backing up and on deceleration. Fresh and I looked under the car when I went to help him out with his mk1 and we couldn't find anything. Took the passenger wheel off to replace my leaking brake hose and the knuckle was able to move. So I got the creepa, shook the knuckle, and noticed the ball joint nut wasn't tight against the knuckle and was allowing it to shake back and forth. Weird cuz the vibration felt like it was on the driver side. I'll check that one too when I tighten the passenger side.

Whew, that could have been disastrous.

RedRkt01
11-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I have a pretty good knack for detecting where vibrations come from. But as I developed that skill I learned over time that the vibration often comes from the opposite side. Though I'm still not sure why some vibrations translate to the opposite side of the car and yet others don't. Good catch though...

Speacking of cotter pics.....I noticed yesterday that on one of my Alltracs the pin that prevents the hub bolt from backing off the shaft was gone. I guess I shouldn't be surprised seeing as from whom I bought the car.....total slacker jackass.

joe's gt
11-15-2009, 02:25 AM
So the frickin ball joint nut attaching the joint to the knuckle on the passenger side worked itself loose again even after it was torqued to spec with loctite.

Any ideas what it could be?

Threads didn't appear to be stripped. Do I need a new ball joint? Anybody ever have this same problem?

maxwedge
11-15-2009, 05:26 AM
That's supposed to be a tapered hole and shaft so that when you tighten the nut it pulls the cone shape of the bolt into the hole and wedges it tight. If it's been wallowing around loose in there for a while I would guess it's ovaled out the hole or worn down the bolt on the ball joint, probably a bit of both. Only thing to do at that point is replace them. would probably try replacing just the ball joint first, unless the hole is obviously worn.

joe's gt
11-15-2009, 06:21 AM
oh man, not good. Thanks for the info. Just ordered a ball joint. I really hope I don't have to pull a knuckle from the junker. I have relatively new wheel bearings in that knuckle.