PDA

View Full Version : Installing aftermarket oil pressure gauge

alistair
11-06-2009, 04:23 AM
I've got a snazzy autometer electric oil pressure gauge I want to install.

I'm not sure how I feel about just screwing it into the block with an adapter. That's not the kind of thing I want breaking off while I'm driving.

I was thinking one of two solutions:

1) Use a T adapter, screw stock sender unit in one side, attach a stainless steel line to the other, and run to a remote location where I have the aftermarket sender mounted

2) Run stainless steel lines for both senders, and mount them in the engine bay somewhere.

Can I go to almost any auto parts store and pick up stainless steel lines with 1/8 NPT threads? (I know the block is BSPT, I've got some adapters) I've never bought SS lines before so I'm not sure how rare/specialized they are.

Also I think I need to use yellow teflon tape that's resistant to oil, and only tighten the fitting until it's snug.

Am I missing anything? And any reasons to not keep the stock sender? I'm not sure how that'd effect the ECU.

Sang
11-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Option 1 is what I'd do except i'd run a BSPT to NPT adapter in place of the stock sender, then a NPT to AN adapter, then run a line to remove mount the T adapter. Then install the senders on each end of the T. You don't want heavy senders on that flimsy BSP tapered fitting. With the amount of engine vibration, they tend to break right off.

http://home.comcast.net/~maurice.velandia/mr2t/broken_bspt_adapter.JPG

Option 2 is overkill and you'd be needlessly wasting money on fittings. High quality AN fittings are not cheap.

A hydraulic shop should have braided SS lines that could make something for you. If not, I get all my stuff from anplumbing.com. And I buy a few specialized fittings from Jegs.com when Earls doesn't make an adapter I need, usually metric adapters.

The BSPT to female adapter can be bought from McMaster-Carr and in stainless instead of brass: Part number - 4092K11 (http://www.mcmaster.com/#4092k11/=4fsg1z)

Do not use teflon tape on AN fittings. I'd only use a little on the BSPT adapter...maybe, most likely not even needed. AN fittings seal via a 37* flare at the end of it, not by the threads. If you require tape to get it to seal, the hose end is installed wrong or you are using the wrong fitting. SAE fittings have a flare angle of 45*.

Depending on what size line you use, Earls doesn't make a swivel -4 hose end. If you want a swivel -4, i'd go with Jegs line of hose ends which is also a cutter type.

ChrisD
11-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Is there a Mopac in Edmonton? They'd have them, but at a very steep price.

The other option is to get an oil filter sandwich plate and mount the sensor in that. Although I'm not sure there's much space on the 165 (it's been a while)...sure isn't on the 185. So that could mean an oil filter relocation kit. On my 205 the sandwich plate was ideal since the filter is on the bottom.

On my 165, I just ditched the OEM sensor since it's useless anyways and installed the aftermarket sensor - use an adaptor there. I also removed the oem gauge and installed other stuff in there. ;)

alistair
11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
So theres no issue with completely removing the factory sender? I thought it might tie into the ECU and limit various functions if it thought I had no oil.

Right now I have it like this
Block -> SS BSPT to NPT adapter -> Aftermarket oil sender

I did purchase some SS braided high pressure hose along with the required -4 AN to npt adapters, so I have what I need to connect everything. I ran into some issues getting the pressure fitting to attach to the ends, I'll try this again tonight and see what I come up with.

Edit: Yes, there is a Mopac in Edmonton. Some of their staff are real douchebags though. I'm sorry, I'm just getting started working on cars and I don't know absolutely everything yet. However if I tell you what I have to work with, could you at least suggest a solution?

I find myself going to jb's more and more often. There's a couple of guys on the west side store that are absolutely fantastic and very happy to share their knowledge.

andy
11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
ecu has no idea what oil pressure is. That sender is only for the light in the dash and it will stay off with it unpluged. i ran without mine for 6 years.

alistair
11-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Fair enough. I figured what with oil being a fairly major component to keeping an engine running, that it would be integrated better.

On a properly functioning alltrac, with oil at the proper level, etc. What should my oil pressure be reading at idle and under boost?

acidice333
11-10-2009, 10:56 PM
How much did the lines cost ya?

alistair
11-10-2009, 11:29 PM
for 3 foot of hose, 2 -4 AN ends and 2 AN -> NPT adapters is was like $44 CAD.

ChrisD
11-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Yes, you are right. Mopac and douchebaggery are synonymous. Domestic leg humpers.

andy
11-10-2009, 11:44 PM
idle mine was around 20psi i think, max at 60-80. I forgot tho.

acidice333
11-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Wow you lucky sob it cost me $80 CAD for 3ft -6, the ends and the adapters. They didn't have -4, so I had to go with -6..

I hate being on an Island sometimes... cause there isn't much places that carry it.. only 2 places I know of :(

I think I'll just return the hose (37.89CAD) and the hose ends (26.58CAD) and just order online (31.39USD) for the hose and ends. They just dont have the adapters so I'll just buy those locally. Saves me about $35CAD which I think is good.

for 3 foot of hose, 2 -4 AN ends and 2 AN -> NPT adapters is was like $44 CAD.

lalojamesliz
11-14-2009, 03:44 AM
Im trying to install the same guage but can someone please tell me were the stock oil pressure sender is located on my gen2 3sgte?

alistair
11-14-2009, 04:02 AM
it might be in the same spot. it was towards the front on the right hand side. If you follow the seam between your head and the valve covers to the right you should be able to find it.

I'd never noticed mine before despite having taken my intake off more than a few times.

Sang
11-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Im trying to install the same guage but can someone please tell me were the stock oil pressure sender is located on my gen2 3sgte?

It's on the head. Next tot he coolant neck. It should be a black spade connector.

Here is a picture of the location with a BSPT to NPT adapter instead of the stock sender.

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Engine_Upgrade/Rebuild/Images/Oil/Oil_Sender_Adapter_7961.JPG

lalojamesliz
11-14-2009, 04:59 AM
hey Sang, the sensor that is in that place right now looks like the coolant sensor? it only has one wire? but ill give it a try :) so i use the white teflon tape?

Sang
11-14-2009, 05:50 AM
All the coolant sensors are located on the coolant neck. The head port only has oil. Yes, use a little teflon tape. The BSPT fitting is tapered, thus it seals via the friction on the threads when it's screwed in. Same goes for the NPT fittings. But not AN/JIC, SAE, BSPP or O-ring fittings which are parallel threads.

alistair
11-14-2009, 05:51 AM
No. Use Yellow teflon tape. Also make sure you don't have any loose bits infront of where the oil would flow. Yellow is meant to handle petrolium products, white is meant for water.

Finally, try to run the tape with the threads, not against so you don't cut the tape up any more than you need to when threading it in.

Sang
11-14-2009, 05:58 AM
"yellow" is just a heavier PTFE tape. If the threads do its job, you shouldn't even need the tape. It's really not going to be the end of the world if it's not readily available at the parts store.

acidice333
11-14-2009, 06:02 AM
White works just fine for me.. I had threadlocker on my latest but I decided to use the "white" teflon instead.

lalojamesliz
11-14-2009, 07:10 AM
great! thanks for the info guys :) its 11:08pm for me right now but ill give this a try when i wake up in the morning :)

alistair
11-14-2009, 07:13 AM
kick ass dude, good luck!
My install was really painless and so far no leaks. I've been watching the oil pressure guage like a hawk half expecting the pressure to completely disappear all at once, lol.

Shadowlife25
06-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Since there are others currently viewing this....

FYI the Greddy Electronic gauges, Oil Pressure in particular, has the correct thread pitch to directly replace the OEM sending unit.