PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a "Cabin Noise Reduction" kit

Shadowlife25
11-03-2009, 08:26 AM
So I was wondering if there would be any interest in a cabin noise elimination kit.

I am just trying to gauge interest at this point, but if there are enough that are, I would make something.

Dynamat is used only as a descriptor.
I may include a better product if I can get the owner to cut me a price break.

Basically it would consist of a couple key sections with 2 options:

"Deluxe" Kit:

Doors:

Pre-cut panels of 1/8" closed cell foam. (2)
Package of rubber grommets (10)
Squares (24x36") of Dynamat for further noise reduction. (2)
Dynamat roller for application of Dynamat and/or foam. (1)

Dash:

A stack of 2" foam squares for spot application (10)

Floor/Firewall:

Pre-cut carpet pad (2)

"Basic" Kit:

Doors:

Pre-cut panels of 1/8" closed cell foam. (2)

Dash:

A stack of 2" foam squares for spot application (10)

Regrettably, I can not include the 3M Super99, as it requires special permits to ship chemicals.
That can be found locally at any hardware store though.

Full step-by-step write-up will be made and posted for this.
I would just do a video, but I have no camera. :p

Please let me know if any of you are interested so I can ask for permission to do a GB. :bigthumbu

I would like a minimum of 10 people to get this going.
Please post for interest and kit preference.
I will only use the best quality products available.
The more folks we get in on this, the better the individual price will be.

P.S.
As of this moment I can only provide a full kit for the 4th and 5th gen Celicas. They are what I own and have access to.
Requests for any other generation are welcome, but I will need to be provided Hi-res photos with measurements.

- Mario

toyotaguy90
11-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I would definately be interested in it depending on the price of course. I hate dynamat i think its so overpriced. I would recommend raammat I have spoke to the sales manager and if you tell him your a member of toyotanation.com he will cut you a pretty big deal. They carry sound deadener mat as well as some closed cell foam.

alistair
11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I might also be interested, but I'd like to know how much weight this would add to the car before commiting. 50 lbs wouldn't be bad, but if it's going to add 100+lbs, I'll live with the noise.

Also is shipping up north going to be stupidly expensive?

Shadowlife25
11-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I would definately be interested in it depending on the price of course. I hate dynamat i think its so overpriced. I would recommend raammat I have spoke to the sales manager and if you tell him your a member of toyotanation.com he will cut you a pretty big deal. They carry sound deadener mat as well as some closed cell foam.

I know Rick over at Raammat.

I was thinking more of using Second Skin products.

Weight would not be much added.
Basic would add maybe 5lbs.
Deluxe would be maybe 8-10.

Just guesstimates, but you get my point. It won't be stupid weight. :)

Murgatroy
11-03-2009, 11:46 PM
I don't know, I did a full Dynamat lay in my old Festiva, and it came to nearly 100lbs.

Shadowlife25
11-04-2009, 02:22 AM
I don't know, I did a full Dynamat lay in my old Festiva, and it came to nearly 100lbs.

That's also the difference between a "full treatment" competition layout and a method noise reduction/rattle elimination though. :)

My AllTrac, I probably added about 100lbs to as well. This includes Dynamat, foam, grommets, glue, padding... In large quantities from the firewall back.
Then again, the only noise you hear in my AllTrac is the exhaust because it rattles against the x-member.

To be honest, a GB on materials is the best way to go. We (as a group) get a quantity discount and I personally assure that everything will fit properly since I will cut it myself.

A simple grommet/foam package would probably be enough for most everyone.
I just figured I'd make another option for those who wanted more. :)

I am trying to find a local supplier to work with so that I can get a better idea of costs involved and possibly a group deal.

If you have any ideas for what you would want/need in a kit, please do post them.
This is by no means set in stone. It's an idea thread and I'd be glad for anyone to contribute their viewpoint.

ChrisD
11-04-2009, 03:18 AM
If I had an idea what your method was, I'd be interested in mocking something up for the 6th gen which might be able to give you a pattern to work with.

Maruki-kun
11-04-2009, 03:46 AM
because you did it wrong, and trust me, I've been there done that (3 36' bulk packs of Dynamat extreme into a friend's 92 competition civic) and the butyl rubber crap that is the heavy stuff surprisingly isn't what deadens your car, it's a lot of closed cell and composite material that does the trick.

Rammat>fatmat>dynamat.

Shadowlife25
11-04-2009, 07:07 AM
This wasn't intended to be a which product or method is better thread Ku-Sama.
Please don't trash on something that someone else put their own hard work and time into.

Back on topic:
ku-Sama does bring up a good point.
Different materials (for deadening purposes) filter out different frequencies.
Some in a very narrow frequency band (5-10k)

I chose to use closed cell foam for my application to solve the panel/cabin rattle issue.
This is because it works as a mechanical barrier/cushion between the parts.

Composites are a different story all together.
They do a very similar job, but we don't need to get into that now. ;)

Chris D:

Do me a favor, if you don't mind:
Take your door panel off and take some nice photos for me, paying attention to where the attach points are.
If you have photoshop, highlight the points that are secured by clips and also the ones that are secured by screws.
Also show the inside area of the door skin (composite panel you removed) and then the door panel (metal part of actual door).
A measuring tape for reference would also be helpful. :)

Disco Dan
11-07-2009, 03:07 AM
I've found that most of the road noise I experience comes from where the tops of the windows meet the rubber on the frame. Since we have glass at the top of our doors instead of a metal frame with inset rubber, it seems that noise reduction is dependent on perfect alignment of the doors and windows. I've been thinking about reconditioning all of the rubber where the window seals to see if that makes a difference.

But those other ideas sound good too.

Shadowlife25
11-07-2009, 05:04 AM
Window rattle is a separate issue that I have covered before Dan.

That specifically requires adjustment or replacement of the pads along the inner frame of the door that go up against the glass.

ChrisD
11-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Ya I can do that. Probably a few weeks out before I will work on the car in combination with daylight. But ya, no prob. Any idea on cost?

Shadowlife25
11-07-2009, 11:40 PM
I want to get this together as cheaply as possible, but using good quality items.

Hence, the more we get to commit, the lower pricing will be. :)

Get together with me on this so we can collaborate Chris.

RedRkt01
11-10-2009, 12:20 AM
All I will say is ......yes

Shadowlife25
11-10-2009, 12:32 AM
:)

Unarmed
11-10-2009, 12:56 AM
need pricing and time frame.

Shadowlife25
11-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Pricing is pending right now. Still waiting to hear back from suppliers.

Timeframe is open.

RedRkt01
11-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Depending on how much it is I might put in for two.

Shadowlife25
11-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Kevin,

I propose this:

I will build a set and ship it to you.
You test it and let me know of any quirks or things that can be improved.
We make the necessary adjustments, and then present it to the community.

Sound good?

RedRkt01
11-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Absolutely.

RedRkt01
01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Mario, did you give up on this concept?

Shadowlife25
01-24-2010, 10:20 PM
No. It is still in the works, however my $$$ has all been going to save for my swap project.
I will do this as soon as I am able.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Toss my name in the hat on a group buy. Would be interesting to see which list fills first:

Sound Deadening

or

Coilover Sleeves (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44057&page=2)

RedRkt01
01-25-2010, 03:59 AM
Damn! I'm at a point where it would make sense to install that stuff. I will surely move past this point by the time its ready.....oh well, at least that'll give me a reason to take the car apart again.

Lives, sleeves is almost there.....

Shadowlife25
01-25-2010, 07:00 AM
If I had money to build a few kits I would, but you got to remember, I am going to have to front the cost out of my own pocket to start.

If anyone wants a basic kit put together for them, I can do them on a per order basis.

Say $50 which would include a pre-cut kit (guaranteed to fit) and cover my time+shipping.

Does that sound ok to you guys?
Main cost is for the foam. Stuff is a bit pricey.
Let me know and I can get started as soon as possible.

PayPal is: Shadowlife25@Yahoo.com

If you are going to send funds for this, I need the following info:
Year/model of car
Name/Screen Name
Contact Phone #
Timezone (in case I need to call for info)

I figure if I have at least 5 orders, I will only need a week turnaround time.

If you want these, now is the time! I will be starting my swap project in a couple weeks and will have to put this on hold.

- Mario

VikingJZ
01-25-2010, 07:33 AM
If I end up getting another Celica I'm game for it.

Think you can get something together for a Camry? :)

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Say $50 which would include a pre-cut kit (guaranteed to fit) and cover my time+shipping.

I certainly don't have any issues cutting the material myself, I am really just interested on going in with a group buy to get a good discount on sound deadening materials.

I have a rust/weight reduced GT-S that is going to need some sound killing!

Shadowlife25
01-25-2010, 04:56 PM
So then you just want sound deadener?

Sorry.

I suppose you mis-understood the point of this.

Since no one wants this apparently, I am going to let it die.

Sorry there was no interest.

RedRkt01
01-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Hello? Anybody home?

klapa
01-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Well - the only reason I wasn't interested in it is that my GT, which is the primary car I would be taking on "road trips" where such would be particularly desirable, already had all that done by the previous owner - sound deadening material, undercoat, the "whole 9 yards".

While it has a header (note - no "s" here) and is minus the CAT it is still much quieter in the cabin than my ST with factory exhaust.

RedRkt01
01-25-2010, 09:52 PM
no 's' has been noted ;). Good job on that by the way.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-25-2010, 10:48 PM
So then you just want sound deadener?

Sorry.

I suppose you mis-understood the point of this.

Since no one wants this apparently, I am going to let it die.

Sorry there was no interest.

Don't get me wrong, I am in for the entire Deluxe kit. I just wanted to let you know, I don't require any cutting of materials if that makes this easier on you.

mixmastermike52
01-26-2010, 12:04 AM
what kind of material do you use for the carpet pad?

sodap0p
01-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Any amount of noise reduction in my Celica is welcomed. I'm down for this if you revive it Mario.

Cheers,

Shadowlife25
01-26-2010, 07:45 AM
I am going to make exactly ONE kit for Kevin (RedRkt01).

Once that is done and he says it's "good to go" I will let you guys order through him.

I am not getting hours at work, so have not been able to afford to do this for anyone.
Like I said, I have to pony up the initial cost.
Part that sucks is the minimums will be more than enough for one kit, so I have to eat it on the rest.

I'll post back later, it's been a long day and I am a bit irritable at the moment.
I spent all day on the phone trying to figure out the particulars of making my swap legal (ST165 w/ST215 engine) and got told to get bent by 4 different B.A.R. Referees.

I am..... pissed.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-26-2010, 03:37 PM
I spent all day on the phone trying to figure out the particulars of making my swap legal (ST165 w/ST215 engine) and got told to get bent by 4 different B.A.R. Referees.

I am..... pissed.

I might be coming back out west for grad school, not looking forward to the California legal swamp. The only advice I can give, is learn a little spanish and find a mexican garage for your inspection.

A state highway patrolman told me that 2 out of 3 drivers in Salinas are illegal aliens. If they can get on the road, you can get on the road.

klapa
01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
I am going to make exactly ONE kit for Kevin (RedRkt01).

Once that is done and he says it's "good to go" I will let you guys order through him.

I am not getting hours at work, so have not been able to afford to do this for anyone.
Like I said, I have to pony up the initial cost.
Part that sucks is the minimums will be more than enough for one kit, so I have to eat it on the rest.

I'll post back later, it's been a long day and I am a bit irritable at the moment.

I am..... pissed.

I feel your pain - I had my Hemi car out there when I lived in Santa Clara for two years - I never could get my Cali plates cuz I would always fail the "visual" - I did not have the heat pipes that went from the exhaust manifold up to the intake manifold because they were simply not available - so I just registered my car in Georgia each year and ran GA plates.

Cali is a great place to visit but by best view of living there was when I saw it in my rear view mirror.

lrays25
02-03-2010, 01:36 PM
$50 for a kit to cut the noise:-) Any idea what percentage noise reduction??
I have a Gen 6 When you get the pattern and are ready to do it, Let me know. I'm probably in.

RedRkt01
02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Mario, I plan on doing decible testing to monitor the difference.

Sin
02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
id be down for a kit for the 6gc
i got about a month before i start putting the interior back together
so i got some time to wait