PDA

View Full Version : First autocross for Eli

Lonestag
10-31-2009, 10:13 PM
I went to my first autocross today. Weather of absolutly horrible for the first half (freezing rain) but I really enjoyed it.

My little Tercel did pretty well on the track, but I missed the novice meeting somehow so I did not know that there was a slalom portion that I blew right pass the first four times resulting in a DNF.

This was the last event of the season so I just wanted to get my foot in the door while I still could.

I don't know what car I will race next year. The tercel isn't that bad but I would love to have a celica out there, considering both of them fit into the H-stock class.

Despite the weather I had a blast, and I can't wait to try it again.

Sadly, I was the only toyota there today...

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/as256/Autocross/SANY1423.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/as256/Autocross/SANY1425.jpg

KoreanJoey
11-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Your Celi won't be able to run in Stock... at least not the 5th gen in the picture. Fiberglass fenders = "weight reduction". Not allowed in stock class.

Read through the rulebook and check out what classes your cars run in. That should help you figure out the most competitive car for you. BUT just have a season in novice, get a lot of experienced people to ride with you and ride with them. Remember, what feels fast, usually isn't. What feels smooth, is often fast.

Lonestag
11-01-2009, 09:49 PM
That 5th gen in the pick won't be running for at least another two years, It is just my favorite, though I should really update the pick in the sig to one of mine that runs.

If i took a celi out there, it would be the 86 GTS, it would take a little work to get it road worthy, but the 3SGE only has maybe 130k on it, so I wouldn't be too worried about killing it right away.

I think I'll stick to the tercel though, it is super light and very forgiving, I don't think I killed a single cone the whole time. It is also geared very well for the course with it's super short first gear and very tall second gear.

I did get a ride along and got an instructor to ride with me once, and I improved my time by about 10 seconds from the first to last.

KoreanJoey
11-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Remember Eli, if you never, ever hit any cones, you're not driving hard/tight enough.

Lonestag
11-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Remember Eli, if you never, ever hit any cones, you're not driving hard/tight enough.

I'll keep that in mind, It is hard for me to be agressive enough to get the Tercel into the corners. I'll be signing into the driver's school next year to get some real practice in. I just wanted to get my foot in the door so to speak and figure out what I was doing just to get a car into a race.

I was the slowest in my class by about five seconds, and I was beat by a dakota pick up, so I have some room to improve :lolhittin

I'm excited to get into it next year though.

goretro77
11-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Remember, what feels fast, usually isn't. What feels smooth, is often fast.

So very very very true!!