PDA

View Full Version : Been putting this fix off for a while...:(

Frenchy
10-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok, recently, within the last two months, I've been noticing this clicking sound when I turn... so I brought the car to a mechanic... he said CV shafts are going out on it...

So, today I bought some new shafts, and rotors and brake pads, and I also have some brand new outer tie rod ends...

Question is, how hard is all this to replace, the guy that I brought it to, said he'd do the cv shafts for 100 dollars total, and he charges per hour, and since he'd have the rotors off already, he'd do the new pads and rotors for free...

I'm thinking of doing it myself, and saving the 150-200 dollar labor charge, but I want a generalized idea of what I'll be getting into.

Shadowlife25
10-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Buy new ones, install them yourself, spend maybe $160 total = win

Should take you maybe an hour, hour and a half from start to finish.

Frenchy
10-28-2009, 03:57 AM
I already got new ones on order, 140 dollars, with rotors and pads, came to 260 dollars...

Frenchy
10-28-2009, 04:01 AM
So as typical as my mother is, she's saying I should just pay and have it done for me.

I'd really rather save the labor cost, and do it myself, but she's very cautious, I guess, and says she'd rather have it done right for sure...

Seriously, how hard is it to replace the shafts and tie rod ends? I can handle the rotors and pads myself - (who can't?)

Anyone have a walk through, or anything...

KM
10-28-2009, 04:17 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/93celica/sa/2wdfrontdriveshaft.pdf

Driver's side shaft hammers out, passenger's side shaft unbolts and pulls out.

If you'd have caught it 2 months ago, you could take the easy route and gotten a huge syringe, loaded it up with CV grease, and shot it in the boots. I've seen people do it and it work.

KoreanJoey
10-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Don't forget to align the car after the tie rod ends.

GT4SOM
10-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Oh yeah, mark you tie rod ends for the love of god. Big mistake if you don't mark them haha. CV axles shouldn't be too hard. Make sure you drain the tranny fluid before pulling the axles out or you will get a face full of it.

KoreanJoey
10-29-2009, 06:02 AM
Even after marking them you still want to get an alignment. It'll only be so close and a quarter turn is enough to create a pull.

You might also think about doing the axle seals since you'll have the axles out.

Frenchy
10-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Axle seals?

42qn30
10-29-2009, 03:30 PM
axle seal connect to the trans. I did about six of these to the Celi.

Go to autozone or whatever is around and rent a slide hammer with FWD axel puller. It looks like a "c".

A large prybar will work but is much harder to get the angle right in order to pop the axle off.

If i remember correctly the passenger side axle has a carrier bearing that needs to be pressed on and off. You might just need to remove the snap ring to take the bearing off.

Replace the diff seals. These are easy and cheap. Just make sure you put the axles in straight or you can break the seals.

Tis all. estimate 4 hours for work and a about 6 beers.

Frenchy
10-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Now you said you did 6 of them? Is that cuz something happened to them?

Seriously, I feel stupid asking this, but, there should only be two seals, correct?

Amaymi
10-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Be sure to break loose the axle nuts with the car still on the ground and in park/with the parking brake on. Unless you have a pretty stout impact gun. Depending, maybe spray some PB blaster on them a little while before you start working on them. Some axle nuts come off pretty easy and some take a serious breaker bar and some work with a 3/4" monster impact gun to get off. After that they aren't too hard.
Joey is right, you must get it aligned afterward to keep good tire wear and prevent pulling to any side.

KM
10-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Everything you need to know is in that link I posted earlier.

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/93celica/sa/2wdfrontdriveshaft.pdf

Page SA-21 for axle seals

85gtsblackman
10-30-2009, 04:11 AM
going to be doing this hopefully tomarrow before work

Frenchy
10-30-2009, 04:55 AM
get me a diy and i will love you forever.

....seriously.

VikingJZ
10-30-2009, 05:14 AM
get me a diy and i will love you forever.

....seriously.

Dude I am a horrible mechanic and I did them.

Frenchy
10-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Ya, I'm gonna do tie rod ends, axle seals, cv shafts, and an alignment, I got a great deal, so I'm gonna let the mechanic do it for me.