PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions...

92celicagts
10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey guys. For months now I've been going back and forth on really getting serious about my celica. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to get another block and work on it while I drive around on the engine already in the car.

Now, I want to to forced induction, so if someone could help me with suggested parts that they have maybe used on projects they've already completed, I'd really appreciate it.

I wanna get a decent amount of boost into the car once I do the forged internals and what not. Any help anyone can throw at me would be greatly appreciated.

4thgenceli
10-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Not sure if you're on some sort of budget of sorts, but I would suggest to go 3sgte.

As you've prolly seen around, this is the most common turbo swap done. It's really simple (providing you're running a 's' series engine in your 5th gen, which judging by your username you have a gts w/ the 5sfe engine).

There have been 5sfte conversions as well, however I don't know offhand about these. I would assume though that you'd need the proper exhaust manifold, oil & coolant lines to cool/lube the turbo and other such necessities.

92celicagts
10-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes, it's the GT-S with the 5sfe.

Yeah I've been reading up on the forums here and I see that a lot people have been doing the 3sgte swap. Would I need to do any customization to anything or would it be a clean swap? Ball parking prices, how much would it cost to completely do the engine without buying the turbo. I'm talking forged internals and all of the necessary parts for the swap. Any suggested turbochargers?

I've got a buddy in Arizona that is going to help me port and polish the heads, might bore them and what not. So I've got that on my side.

4thgenceli
10-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes, it's the GT-S with the 5sfe.

Yeah I've been reading up on the forums here and I see that a lot people have been doing the 3sgte swap. Would I need to do any customization to anything or would it be a clean swap? Ball parking prices, how much would it cost to completely do the engine without buying the turbo. I'm talking forged internals and all of the necessary parts for the swap. Any suggested turbochargers?

I've got a buddy in Arizona that is going to help me port and polish the heads, might bore them and what not. So I've got that on my side.
Oh shit.. your in AZ!! lol.

Same here, what part of town? Whos doin' the head for ya.

For the most part, it's straight forward. You can use your tranmission for it, engine and such will bolt right up and right in. The biggest thing you'd need to do would be to redo the wiring harness. Check out the FI (Forced Induction) forum and poke thru the stickys there. Hit me up on messanger if you have any questions.. celiman89.

As far as ballpark pricing.. no f'ing clue. Figure a 3sgte motor set (depending on generation) can run from $1000 --> $3000. Figure another grand or so for parts, etc.

Here's a perspective for you. Check the project thread in my sig. Currently total as of right now I'm at about $4,000 for my swap, and I still need a few more critical components (fuel pump * IC assembly)

4thgenceli
10-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Wow.. I F'ing fail... you're Shawn's bro. DOH.

alistair
10-26-2009, 05:57 PM
For your turbo, do you want faster spool, or more top end?

Do you have a HP Goal? The stock CT-26 on a 3sgte is pretty fun :) Other than that, there's some complete turbo kits offered by KO Racing that're plug and play for the most part.

One issue with running a larger turbo, is you may start maxing out the stock ECU, so you need to start looking at an EMS which can get pretty pricy.

92celicagts
10-27-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm FROM Arizona, but I'm not in town right now, haha. Yes, I'm Shaun's brother. The guy that would be doing the head is my buddy Kyle, he's been attending UTI up in Avondale for the past year and a half and knows a lot of people and has a lot of connections as far as instructors, and people that know the trade within the school, not to mention shops upon shops of different tools and what not.

The wiring harness is gonna be a pain haha. My HP goal is 350+ and the turbo I'm looking for more top end. I'm going for like 20-28 lbs of boost if I can. I found a site that will sell the whole bottom end of a 3sgte for 1600 ready for 30+ lbs of boost. I'm not sure how worth it that deal is, but. Worth mentioning.

I'm trying to keep my GT-S together with the 5sfe until I build the 3sgte and get the necessary parts for the swap and do a clean swap on it. So. I'll have to figure out exactly how I'm gonna pull it off seeing as to how I'm in the Military, over in Virginia for the time being.

I was talking to my bro and he said depending on how much horse I get it up to, I might have to swap to a different tranny, and alistair said, might have to swap out the ECU and some other small things. But. This is a longtime goal, any other assistance would be appreciated.