PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear seat belts when you're in your car?

Blackcloud
10-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Do you wear seat belts when you're in your car?

Blackcloud
10-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I wear mine all the time.. except when we are on the job site driving around.

90CelicaST
10-24-2009, 10:41 PM
DUH It's against the law not to!

http://www.nhtsa.gov/buckleup/ciot-planner/planner07/resources/creative/general/Posters/NoExcept-72dpi.jpg

Doctor Jinxed
10-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Seatbelt's are not just for your safety, but for others' as well. If some asshole sideswipes you on the freeway, you'll have a better chance of remaining in control of your car if you have the seatbelt to harness you in, versus getting knocked around and letting your car fuck other people up around you.

It's not just the law, it's a good idea! =p

MCcelica
10-24-2009, 11:16 PM
I use my seatbelt to an asinine degree. One of the jobs I used to work, we couldn't leave for "lunch". But we'd all go out to our cars anyway. I'd go and jam out and munch a few things of course. But even though my car never moved, I still put on my seatbelt... every single time... for whatever reason. Lol I got hazed about it a little bit. But it's all good.

rizin
10-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Not from my place to the gas station. The Bad thing is normally a accident happens 5 miles from your house. It is only a block.

Murgatroy
10-24-2009, 11:22 PM
I have several broken teeth, have broken nearly a dozen bones, totaled more cars than many of you have ever owned and killed a woman.

I now wear my seatbelt all the time, regardless. Even as a passenger, even if I am the only one in the car with it on.

DudeMan
10-24-2009, 11:35 PM
It's a habit for me.

First thing I do, even if its a 30 second drive.

alistair
10-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Always wear mine, and my passengers have to wear theirs too. I won't leave until everyone has their seat belt on.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-25-2009, 12:01 AM
I wear mine all the time. I've had a couple of friends killed who weren't wearing theirs. If they had, they'd still be here today. You're pretty much guaranteed to die if you get thrown for the car, especially if the damn thing rolls over on you!

balang_479
10-25-2009, 12:54 AM
I cant sit in my car without the seatbelt being done up.... even if the engine is not on..

T-spoon
10-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Seat belt is part of my mental "checklist". It goes on no matter what. I won't move until everyone in car is wearing one.

goretro77
10-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Yep, every time all the time no matter how short the ride.

4thgenceli
10-25-2009, 04:49 AM
I'll usually have it on. It's usually habit to reach over & buckle it in.

Sometimes I'll lag about it (when I'm dead ass tired and can barely walk to the car to drive to work) and will forget, but the first couple turns I make I realize I'm flopping around and I'll then snap it in.

KoreanJoey
10-25-2009, 08:05 AM
I hit always but in hindsight I should change that. I don't put on seatbelts moving cars up from the bay down to the service drive and vice versa. But anytime I go on public roadways and (of course) the track I wear my seatbelt.

Galcobar
10-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Every time. Childhood habit, compounded by seatbelt compliance being higher in Canada than the US.

However, two years as a reporter in Squamish on the highway between Whistler and Vancouver cemented it. If I'm driving, the car doesn't move until everyone's buckled in.

jsooke
10-25-2009, 04:46 PM
I learned my lesson ... driving a car with a bench seat ... on a hard right I over corrected and it snapped the rear end out .... really hard to control a car from the right side when your right foot is planted to the floor and you are hanging on to the steering wheel for dear life.

Yes, even in modern cars wear the belt all the time ... been in a few bumps while racing and you really know what belts do then.

Jay

METDeath
10-25-2009, 04:49 PM
I had friends that never bothered with seat belts, until they rode with my in my Buick with leather interior. I drove my Buick like I drive my Celica, so that'd be why.

Slider
10-26-2009, 09:26 PM
I always wear them, I feel naked if I don't have it on.

Hookecho
10-27-2009, 08:03 PM
yes, always. i've seen alot of dead people that could have survived if they had buckled up. on a different note, side impacts right at the door are a whole other story. seatbelts are mainly effective in head on collisions and angle collisions.

ST1LLz82
10-28-2009, 02:25 AM
yea i pretty much do the same as some of you guiys said if i'm driving i dont move the car until everyone is strapped in. There's been a few times though where i've been the passenger and i spaced on it..especially when i was in my ex-friends bmw cuz i couldn't find it.... it was in the middle of the backseat instead of by the door.....i love foriegn cars :)

Blacktrac
10-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Never leave home without it!!!

Lenny253
11-05-2009, 02:01 AM
all the time. i don't even move till everyone else has their seatbelt on.

Lonestag
11-05-2009, 03:08 AM
I have a hard time not putting on my belt even if I'm sitting parked.
It's not that I think people should be forced into it, or even that it should be illegal, I just don't feel secure and connected to the car without it.

tuner4life
11-05-2009, 04:14 AM
I wear mine pretty much all the time, but if I am just driving down the street and not going very fast, sometimes I dont bother.

I am a firm believer in seat belts saving lives, but I also think that it should be up to the discretion of the driver, not the law. It is just something else that the cops can use for revenue.

donteatbugs
11-07-2009, 03:44 PM
them things is useless unless you drifting

davmac
11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I always wear them, I feel naked if I don't have it on.
Same here. In the rare instance I start driving without a seat belt on I'm immediately thinking, "What am I forgetting ..."

Seriously everyone - you can be the best driver ever and someone else could cause an accident. Many times a seatbelt is the difference between life and death.

Mafix
11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
i always wear mine. just not all 5 points of it.

Berg
11-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Always. I just don't feel right unless I'm wearing it. Probably because I've been wearing them for as long as I can remember. I even tried to drive a few blocks once without it, and I had to put it on after the first one.

Cheers,
Berg

maxwedge
11-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Yep always, saved my life a few times too I imagine. In my opinion, you gotta be just dumber than shit to think it's safer to be thrown out of the car, or you won't be able to free yourself under water...and if you think it looks uncool or your clothes will look bad, then you likely have a self esteem problem you need help for as well.

extremeskillz
11-25-2009, 03:56 PM
It's a religion to wear mine!

Kanoodle
11-26-2009, 01:32 AM
I wear mine all the time in my own vehicles and when it is possible without huge discomfort, but in some cars/trucks its not a option like Emmy Rose's truck. I always have to sit in the back (try fitting a bear like luni in the back seat) the belt doesnt work so I go without.

hobbie2k
12-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I always wear mine, even for a very short drive on the road. If I'm just moving the car in or out of the garage...I probably won't, or if I'm parked and just sitting in it. But whenever I get on the road, it's on.

Mr.Shaun91
12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
see im the only guilty thus far. i never wear the damn things.....

klapa
12-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I never wore them until I was in the military - USAF - there they ingrained in my head to wear them every time I would enter or leave the base.

Since then - it is like I am naked if I don't have it on - just a "gut reaction" type of thing.

dups90gt
12-08-2009, 01:16 AM
I always wear mine, I grew up in the 80's and Im asian so I was a natural target for cops. You didn't have to wear them in the early 80's till the mid 80's they made it law and I would always get pulled over for no reason and they would always try and bust me for not wearing my seatbelt so it kind of stuck and now its on before I even know it. I have been known to try and get out of the car forgetting to remove it. ouch!

Wicked Toys
12-10-2009, 04:04 AM
One of my good habits to always wear'em. Kept me in check plenty of times from idiots on the road.

T-spoon
12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
see im the only guilty thus far. i never wear the damn things.....

It's ok, it just lets us know not to really get to know you... :hehe:

sodap0p
01-21-2010, 01:05 AM
I should wear mine, but never bother... I do wear it on long trips though.

I've disabled the reminder in my truck and there isnt a reminder in my Celica.

cjrokke
01-21-2010, 04:06 AM
I wear it ever since i got a ticket for not. Unless im just sitting there. I did catch myself today not wearing it though, but thats cause i was crammed in the back of a small car and had no maneuverability

mannygtfour
01-21-2010, 06:06 PM
i always wear my and mke anyone thats in the car to theres on. when they say no i tell them r u going to pay the tickets. it always work. :D
it good to wear it u never know what dum ass thats on the road.

187flatliner
02-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Always wear mine, and my passengers have to wear theirs too. I won't leave until everyone has their seat belt on.

my rule too...i threw a female out cuz she didnt wanna wear it.....but if im crusin in my parkin lot to the garage then i dont worry about it. but mainly yes i do

i always wear my and mke anyone thats in the car to theres on. when they say no i tell them r u going to pay the tickets. it always work. :D
it good to wear it u never know what dum ass thats on the road.

it the state of oregon i believe anyone over the age of 16 gets their own ticket anyways.

Siyx
05-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I feel naked without one on, very awkward feeling if you forget to put it on before you start driving.
However .... if i'm going a very short distance and not on any roads (such as parking lot to parking lot) then i usually wont put one on. Still feel really weird without one.

allTRACway
05-11-2010, 11:34 PM
wow i feel so irresponsible. ill usually take of and then put it on. the woman is always telling me to put it on before we go anywhere. but i do have it on after a couple turns

pinoyGT4
05-12-2010, 11:42 AM
yeah i wear them especially when im alone driving..

if im with the gf and my mom, i usually dont wear them so i feel that i dont feel the need to drive fast and play around with ricers..

but when i ask the gf to put it on, it means, its game time! LOL

Legacyofdan
05-13-2010, 04:56 PM
they saved my life twice...so yeah i wear them. all the time. every time.

Atus
05-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I also always wear them and they save me few times. It doesn't matter how good driver you are if other driver is dumb and make accident. I doubt you will feel better if get in hospital and know that accident wasn't you fault.
Around year ago i totaled volvo S80 T6 (2.8 biturbo) and didn't got any serious injury just because wear seatbelt.

izzzzythedog
05-20-2010, 12:22 AM
nope , worked as a delivery driver for years and would drive short distances to drop things off , legally i could get away with it and have never got into the habit of putting 1 on , prior to this job i would only use i if i thought id get fined

1BADGT4
05-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Since its easy, yes I do use the belts all the time.

Funkycheeze
05-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Frankly, you'd be stupid not to wear one whenever the car is in motion.

Driving around a jobsite/around the corner/just up the street at maybe 20 km/r (15mph) would be the ONLY exception

Terracar
05-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I wear mine everytime. I feel naked without it. Seatbelts save lives! I know it has saved mine on at least 3 occasions..... 75 into a wall is no walk in the park, but to be able to walk away is great.

-Terracar

Facime
02-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Seat belt is part of my mental "checklist". It goes on no matter what. I won't move until everyone in car is wearing one.

This!

Even LONG before it was law when I was a kid riding in my dads ol' 56 Ford Customline (god I wish I still had that car). He wouldnt move the car until each and every one of had our belts on.

90ToyAllTrac
02-28-2011, 10:28 PM
In ND its not a stoppable offense but they will ticket you if you get stopped for something else. I dont think they should be able ticket you for something if you only dont do it when you forget. Thats retarded. You can be arrested for forgetting to wear clothes outa the house but its a hellava lot easier to remember to wear clothes. A vigilant seat belt wearer should not be fined because they forgot to put it on one time.

Facime
03-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Oops, I forgot to take my baby out of the car when I went to the mall on a 95 day. Thats shouldnt be illegal
Oops, I forgot that my brake lights dont work, sorry you rear ended me.
Oops, I forgot to pay attentio to my speedometer and didnt MEAN to go 95 in a 55.

See how far that gets you. I have gotten a seatbelt ticket once before. Guess how many times Ive forgotten to put my seat belt on since then.
The point of a ticket in the first place is to deter you from making the same mistake or bad choice again.

lamont
04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
I live in PA. and it is the law, but if you ride a motorcycle in PA. you don't have to wear a helmet. It makes no sense at all, but I follow the laws I don't make them. Thank God there are people out there smarter than me who get paid to make these tough decisions :11doh: :11doh:

Legacyofdan
04-13-2011, 04:01 PM
You gotta love PA :P

CollapsedNut
04-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I didnt use to wear it, but three seatbelt tickets later, I wear it. Im also driving on a suspended lisense, so I dont wanna give them any reason to stop me lol.

Car_Barn_Bandit
04-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Im also driving on a suspended lisense, so I dont wanna give them any reason to stop me lol.

You might want to look into "suspended license" as being a good reason to stop you.

terryd
04-13-2011, 05:02 PM
yep - wear it everytime.

Fell asleep at the wheel in my 90 GTS and and plowed into a pine tree headon!

GTS - became a tree hugger
me - bruised ribs and sprained ankle

Thankful (to this day) to walk away from that one!

CollapsedNut
04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
You might want to look into "suspended license" as being a good reason to stop you.

I dont wanna drive without it, but Im kinda skrewed cause I have no other way to work. So basically I drive as safe and slow as ppossible, avoid known lisense check places, and only go to work and home

GTGreg
04-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Ever since I started skydiving, I have been very safety aware. It's a good habbit to always wear the ole seatbelts.

Legacyofdan
06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
flipped my honda accord on a dirt road in vermont...my first car.
I would of been thrown out of the sun roof guarantee it.
But i wore my seat belt.
The only injury was a minor cut from crawling out my driver window(glass got me) cause it was a crumpled soda can of a car.

5th grade many many years ago.
Sitting shot gun, and i was wearing my seat belt but wearing it wrong, just the lap portion not the shoulder portion cause it annoyed me by being on my chest.
The driver got T-boned(driver side).
I hit my head so hard on the dash board that i cracked it.
I had a lump on my forehead the size of my fist(at that time).
If i was not wearing it...i would of been a human projectile.

Seat belts for the win.
And those who believe they trap more people than they save them, one you are grotesquely miss-informed and two carry a small pocket knife with you(if you are that scared of your seatbelt)...or just have an actual seatbelt cutter in car. They are small and cheap.

but yeah i will stop rambling :)

jaydog82
06-02-2011, 07:00 PM
does a schroth 4 point racing harness count :)
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/jaydog82celi/DSC07332.jpg

Legacyofdan
06-03-2011, 08:43 PM
does a schroth 4 point racing harness count :)
[IMG]http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr54/jaydog82celi/DSC07332.jpg[IMG]
provided you have proper harness bar; then yes. :)

jaydog82
06-03-2011, 09:10 PM
they mount under the seat bolts

Legacyofdan
06-03-2011, 10:51 PM
i made the same mistake early on as well. But if you get in accident you have a real good chance of breaking your back with your present set up.

jaydog82
06-04-2011, 12:34 AM
could you post pics of your setup? i was just following the directions.

Legacyofdan
06-04-2011, 02:49 AM
here take a gander at this link it can explain a few things for ya:
http://www.doubledgarage.com/?p=2925

i will post pics of my setup for ya but in the mean while:
http://www.doubledgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/dsc_0008s.jpg

and for the bar:
http://www.chicagolandpreludeclub.com/images/mugenlude/prbar2.jpg

^avoid the shit ebay ones like this one
because of:
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180166_10150090827896821_653636820_6712672_657300_ n.jpg

have a thick gauge one fabricated for you or diy, they are not too hard to make at all.

hope i have been of help :)

jaydog82
06-04-2011, 03:51 AM
this may be hard to do, i need to have room for my kids.

T-spoon
06-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Stick with the stock seatbelt then I should think

CollapsedNut
06-04-2011, 03:56 AM
Why the bar at all? Why not take the belt straight to the rear seat bolts? Angle?

Edit: NVM, clicked the link lol

jaydog82
06-04-2011, 04:59 AM
what about the back seat bolt?
http://www.soloracer.com/ral4inpoin.html
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/soloracerdotcom_2159_60479713

Legacyofdan
06-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Stick with the stock seatbelt then I should think
^to be frank: I agree with him.
The stock belts will treat you fine.

I mean in the end it is your spine...just trying to pass on some humble knowledge that i have is all.

jaydog82
06-04-2011, 06:23 AM
im not looking to use the harness all the time, but when i do use it i would like to use it correctly.

Wonderbread
01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Pretty much all the time

david in germany
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
I saw the carnage of a light accident today, a little VW went off the side of the road and went through some small bushes. The car was still in pretty good shape too. The driver had to be taken to the hospital... He wasn't wearing his seat belt and hit the windshield hard enough to crack it but not shatter it. If he was wearing his belt he would have jumped out of the car and been a bit pissed about the need for a new bumper..

I personally wear mine all the time and my cars will not move unless the passengers belt up too.

Azzazzyn
02-16-2012, 06:44 PM
i'm the same way, wear it all the time and any passenger has to too