PDA

View Full Version : 92' GTS Side Skirt

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I have a complete lack of knowledge in the body kit department because I am generally not a fan of them.

However, I just went through stage one weight reduction (rusted out rocker panels) and I am entertaining a clean looking set of side skirts to cover up the holes. I am planning on tacking in some sheet metal, converting/grinding rust, priming/protecting and using fiberglass cloth/bondo to do the body work. I figured a sideskirt would be an easier cover then spending time flaring out the panels right to match the original GTS widebody. Any suggestions or testimonies would be great, I am just hoping to find a nice clean-line, side skirt that wouldn't look ridiculous without the rest of the kit, thanks!

85gtsblackman
10-25-2009, 12:35 PM
if your going to go that route, look wise it be better to go with a full kit rather than just the rockers/sideskirts cause the aftermarket side skirts will sit closer to the ground than the rest of the lower body.

your best bet would be to go 1 of 2 ways

1. a full lip kit
2. cut out the body cancer, then go to a junkyard and cut out a good rocker section and have it welded to your car.

Galcobar
10-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Or 3, though this could be difficult to find, get stock skirts from a convertible. Since no matter what you do you'll need paint, I'd probably go with option 2.

cms-gt4
10-26-2009, 12:07 AM
If you get the vert skirts, post pics.

85gtsblackman
10-26-2009, 12:21 AM
oh yeah i forgot about those, that kinda ties into option 2 but yes vert skirts/rockers would work and look nice

Pandaman
10-26-2009, 02:42 PM
If the Vert Skirts are not to difficult to uninstall, I'm currently parting out a Vert right now and I wouldn't want much for them. Wasn't even considering selling them...

Shipping to Florida will cost more than a couple bucks though.

Let me know

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-26-2009, 09:10 PM
If the Vert Skirts are not to difficult to uninstall, I'm currently parting out a Vert right now and I wouldn't want much for them. Wasn't even considering selling them...

Shipping to Florida will cost more than a couple bucks though.

Let me know

Shipping would be to Ohio. Actually, shipping shouldn't be too expensive depending on their weight. Do the 'vert skirts just bolt on?

I might be very interested. I even have some parts I can spare in a trade if interested. (think System 10) Do you have any pics that you can post?

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I might be very interested.

Make that, "I am very interested."

Pandaman
10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Make that, "I am very interested."

Ok, no prob, I'll look into removing the Side Skirts. I work from 7am to 9pm, so this may have to wait till the weekend though.

I'll keep you informed :)

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
If all goes well, this GTS will be bringing me back out to UCLA.

cms-gt4
10-29-2009, 12:43 AM
If this all goes well you will be posting pics of a gts with vert skirts. :D

Pandaman
10-29-2009, 12:50 AM
If this all goes well you will be posting pics of a gts with vert skirts. :D

They aren't to difficult to remove, right? My non-running vert is kinda squeezed against a wall at the moment...

cms-gt4
10-29-2009, 03:24 AM
I have never looked at them so I am not sure. I assume they were held in with screws like the alltrac/gts pieces.

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-29-2009, 03:37 AM
I'll definitely post pics of my car's battle with cancer. It's my V6 project, so I think you all deserve a good show...

Pandaman
11-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Ok, I got them off. It was just a bit time consuming. Sorry for the wait. My roommate was helping me custom shape my new 92-93 front bumper skin and she slipped with the Exacto Knife and cut her hand pretty bad. Had to get 4 stitches last night. Got to see the inside of her hand too (took a picture too). Did you know we look like TonTons (Star Wars) on the inside? I didn't... But I do have a new nickname for her now lol!

Since they have a serious case of "Fade" I put on a heavy coat of ArmorAll on them. I recommend painting them with a rattle can of flat black. Other than that, they are in great shape :)

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/649/dsc04377e.jpg
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2940/dsc04378v.jpg

Let me know what you want to do

Thanks

Galcobar
11-09-2009, 10:38 AM
What was involved in getting them off?

Pandaman
11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
What was involved in getting them off?

Tools I used were a Phillips Screwdriver and a Panel Puller.

1st was the removal of all the screws under the car. There are about 6 (each side) holding the underside of the skirts. Each screw goes into a plastic clip that needs to be removed and kept.

2nd, I just used finger strength to pry away the top edge of the skirt from the car. Sometimes I needed the screwdriver to keep it away from the car while I got a better grip on the skirt but with medium force, I was able to have the skirt Pop Off.

3rd, was using the Panel Puller to get the clips out of the frame of the car. A few cracked but none were really that hard.

Dirt... That was the issue after removal! Allot of crud and grime was trapped under the skirt and I had to break out the scrub brush and hose to get as much of it off as I could.

The skirts are kept on (imo) with too much hardware. Seriously, it was twice as much than I would expect to be needed.

85gtsblackman
11-10-2009, 04:53 AM
what else did u expect from a toyota, if u wanted under engineered go get a nissan or domestic

Pandaman
11-10-2009, 06:35 AM
what else did u expect from a toyota, if u wanted under engineered go get a nissan or domestic

Blasphemy!

Car_Barn_Bandit
11-10-2009, 06:36 AM
From what I know about these skirts, these are supposedly an aerodynamic upgrade. I suppose it's possible they found it necessary to install the skirts on the convertibles to help control airflow and put less stress on the soft top. Doesn't seem apparent as to how these would have any effect on that.

Looking at these pics, I can almost say without a doubt, Suncoast bolted these on to match the black soft top. It'll be interesting how well these will fit on the GTS, especially over the rusted out rocker panels. At least they'll match the rest of the car, instead of clashing aftermarket skirts.

85gtsblackman
11-11-2009, 06:38 AM
u may want to have flat sheetmetal welded in before u install the rockers

Car_Barn_Bandit
11-11-2009, 04:53 PM
The lift points are going to be steel reinforced and welded.

I am kind of on the fence about using sheet metal, tack-welded or pop-riveted. I'm not entirely sure how you get the sheet metal behind the rockers and anchor them using either method. I suppose you could do a 24inch section at a time and reach in there.

The original idea, to save weight, was to reinforce the lift points and then fill in the panel from behind with epoxy and fiberglass cloth and resin. This way, I don't have to worry about bare metal in there again to cause rot. I can treat and seal everything, see everything, then epoxy in some cloth. Then I will put a thin coat of bondo over the cloth. Shape, sand and paint the work. The side skirts can cover any imperfections and protect the job.

Then I had someone mention using a metal mesh which might be the best of both worlds...

cms-gt4
12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Bump?

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I am in the middle of my FINAL exam week at UC. I would have posted some info on the amazing skirts I got from Pandaman last weekend, but I was in Pittsburgh watching the Bearcats come back and finish off the Panthers to remain undefeated!

I did a quick dry fit, the skirts cover the cancer, but they'll need some modifications. I have the parts numbers for them too, which I will post with pics of their fitment. Hang on just a little longer...

cms-gt4
12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Sweet. I understand the lack of time. I am in finals week as well.

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-19-2009, 09:40 PM
To give you guys an update as to what has been going...

I have dry fitted the rocker panel covers to my GT-S. There are some fitment issues because the GT-S has the molded "mud-flaps" while the GT and ST have bolt on plastic mud flaps. A little cutting will be needed at the ends, but overall, I think the covers will look fantastic. This is looking to be a GREAT way to fix rusted out rocker panels.

Toyota Part Numbers:

Left/Rear #75856-20020
Right/Rear #75855-20020
Left/Front #75852-20060
Right/Front #75851-20010

I will have a full write up with pics when I start tearing into the V6 GT-S project :D

cms-gt4
12-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Any pics of the test fitment?

tuner4life
12-20-2009, 10:28 PM
X2

Just picked up a set of vert skirts and front mud flaps to put on my GT.

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Any pics of the test fitment?

I'll have pics of the project up in a few weeks. Preferably when it's not freezing and raining outside.

grayscale
12-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, apparently you can use the vert mud flaps to avoid cutting on yours.