PDA

View Full Version : 93 Celica Cnvrt Top

willyum000
10-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Anyone know of a good place to go check out tops for a 93 celica gt convertible? I see hundreds of places online but I really rather see and feel before I buy. I'm looking for a place in the southern California area (Ventura to be precise, near LA).

Thanks in advance! :wiggle:

VikingJZ
10-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Some companies on eBay have good tops. Just check their feedback and make sure its pretty good. Also, create a PayPal account. They will go to bat for you if you have a bad transaction, which happens rarely, but its a nice blanket of protection.

It will be rare to find one in a junk yard, and it may be in similar condition as yours is, or worse. Or, you may be lucky and find a car that had a newer top and then was wrecked. That's unlikely though.

One point I'll make is that when the convertibles were sold new, they were probably purchased by older people looking for a fun-in-the-sun kind of car, and thus maintained well. Over time, though, if the cars were sold, the top will have taken a beating from the elements, especially if it had never been cleaned or conditioned with convertible top care products. What I'm getting at is that fifth gen verts are hard to find as it is, let alone a yard.

Do research. eBay is a great tool to find car parts. But, search all over for the best deal

The Captain
10-23-2009, 01:29 PM
http://www.cartopsplus.com/products.php?cat=250

Pandaman
10-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi willyum000.

I live in L.A. and I have had a number of Convertibles. My newest is my 93 Convertible GT. I found a place on eBay that has some of the best prices and their shop is in North Hollywood. For customer protection, they require that you buy their convertible through eBay and when you receive it, you can bring it down to their shop (if you want) to have it installed. Rather a drive for you, I know, I drive 250-450 miles a day for a living.

They offer two types of tops for your car including different colors (I think... I was only interested in black), Vinyl and cloth. The Vinyl costs less, about $50 difference and it took a month for it to get to me. Ya, a month. The shop takes your order and they apparently have a manufacturer that will make tops "To Order". I think the Cloth Top is closer to $400 and there is free shipping on both.

I decided to have them to to install it and I paid (I think...) $275 for the install. They did a great job and they are very friendly.

They also have on eBay new Headliners as well ($169). I couldn't afford one at the time but I'm going back soon to get one.

eBay Link to Vinyl Top (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Celica-Convertible-Top-Window-1991-1993-Vinyl_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3356357ed7QQitemZ 220489678551QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc cessories)

eBay Link to Cloth Top (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Celica-Convertible-Top-window-1991-1993-Black_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5883c6d30aQQitemZ 380167967498QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc cessories)

eBay Link to Headliner (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Celica-Convertible-Top-Headliner-1991-1992-1993_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ceb7cbf65QQitemZ3 30368335717QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcc essories)

And... Drum Roll Please (Trust me, this is a big one here...)

eBay Link to Convertible Top Boot (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280412273464&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT)

Don't know if you have a Convertible Top Boot, I just got mine and I love it! It makes the Celica look smooth and sleek! These are super rare and you wont find one anywhere... really. I have been searching and posting and scrounging for one for over a year and only a week ago did I finally get one.

The Stealership wants, (Believe this?!?)... $1,400 for a Vert Boot! No joke! This guy on eBay wants $250 + $25 Shipping. Ya, it's not cheap but NO ONE is selling these. Hate to say it but if I had an extra one that I could sell, I would be selling it for closer to $500 to $600. And I would get it.

Sorry for the long post but it's morning and work is dead right now so... I don't care! lol

Enjoy!

Oh... Pics in my Signature below show my Vinyl Top that I mentioned. My advice to you if you want the Vert Boot: BUY IT RIGHT FREAKIN NOW!

Then go for your new Top :)

willyum000
10-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Hah thank you for the the hastily posted replies! Yeah good thing the person that sold me the car has the boot! Also I'm very glad my headliner is okay! Do you know if your top, the one you replaced Pandaman if it was the Porsche style (the stitched style) or if it was the zipped style? Mine is the Porsche style and I called about a place in LA and he wanted to charge me $800.00 in JUST labor. I appreciate the links I'm starting to get antsy and excited to start modding my car (speaking of which I found a nice engine swap too :D!).

Also another question, what are the pro's and con's of the cloth & vinyl. I read about stayfast cloth, german cloth, ect. but "cloth" sounds vague.

THANKS AGAIN!

Pandaman
10-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Hah thank you for the the hastily posted replies! Yeah good thing the person that sold me the car has the boot! Also I'm very glad my headliner is okay! Do you know if your top, the one you replaced Pandaman if it was the Porsche style (the stitched style) or if it was the zipped style? Mine is the Porsche style and I called about a place in LA and he wanted to charge me $800.00 in JUST labor. I appreciate the links I'm starting to get antsy and excited to start modding my car (speaking of which I found a nice engine swap too :D!).

Also another question, what are the pro's and con's of the cloth & vinyl. I read about stayfast cloth, german cloth, ect. but "cloth" sounds vague.

THANKS AGAIN!

You're lucky to have the boot. I don't know the difference in the stitching. As far as it being Porsche Style Vs Factory Style, I have no idea, sorry.

I think there are pro's and con's when talking about Cloth Vs Vinyl. Cloth is not shiny and is harder to clean but it is more durable and will probably last longer than Vinyl. I chose Vinyl because when I got my Celica, it came with cloth. I just wanted to experience the difference. I'm still deciding on what I would like better but so far, I would go with cloth.

Futant3
10-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Just my 2 cents but you should be getting cloth. It looks a LOT better than vinyl does and if taken care of will last just as long if not longer. I replace mine with an Electron cloth top many years ago. I think the top was around $400, new rear window approx. $150-170, labor was the killer around $500-600ish. I think in the books the installation is a 7 or 7.5 hour job. The installation can make a huge difference on durability, if the tension is off it can cause real problems.

pdqubet
10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Willyum000,

I just finished replacing the top on my '93. The shops around here (NC) were outrageous in their pricing. I purchased the stayfast cloth from the link:
http://www.aro2000.com/3102_order_form.htm
Don't know about the difference in German cloth and what I used, but I'm very pleased with the result. You can do-it-yourself. The golden rules for my project, as well for any project, is be patient and "keep it square". If you rush it, you'll *uck it up, I promise. There are members here, including myself, that can help you out. I've got pics (of the whole process) if want to see them.

Shadowlife25
10-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Willyum000,

I just finished replacing the top on my '93. The shops around here (NC) were outrageous in their pricing. I purchased the stayfast cloth from the link:
http://www.aro2000.com/3102_order_form.htm
Don't know about the difference in German cloth and what I used, but I'm very pleased with the result. You can do-it-yourself. The golden rules for my project, as well for any project, is be patient and "keep it square". If you rush it, you'll *uck it up, I promise. There are members here, including myself, that can help you out. I've got pics (of the whole process) if want to see them.

If you can do a complete photo write-up I can make it a sticky.
I think this process is definitely something our members need to see.
It would be greatly appreciated.

The Captain
10-30-2009, 01:23 PM
If you can do a complete photo write-up I can make it a sticky.
I think this process is definitely something our members need to see.
It would be greatly appreciated.
+1000

celica9303
10-30-2009, 06:11 PM
+1001

willyum000
11-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks a bunch for all of the info. I'm going to buy a cloth top coming this jan or feb. When I replace I will definitely post a right up along with it. I'm quite excited!