PDA

View Full Version : The Lexus LFA

VikingJZ
10-21-2009, 05:11 AM
Simply amazing.

I have been following this car since the concept first appeared a few years ago.

I'm in love, and I'll never be able to get one.

The car is being limited to 500 units, rendering it the modern day equivalent to the 2000GT.

Though word has it a scaled back version will appear as the Supra in the next few years, competing with the GT-R: Something Toyota desperately needs.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/20/video-lexus-lf-a-breaks-cover-before-tokyo-unveiling/#continued

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/20/one-more-massive-lexus-lf-a-leak-with-specs/

cms-gt4
10-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Another.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0912_2012_lexus_lfa_first_drive/index.html

burnyd
10-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Cant wait for it... if it actually happens!!!

VikingJZ
10-21-2009, 05:37 AM
By the time its in showrooms, it will have been a decade in the making.

I love the comments.

No one's going to buy it, one says.

So false.

No matter the cost, all 500 will be gone before you know it, and it will simply be a car that's a poster/picture perfect icon for a 12 year old boy's bedroom.

Hell, I'm going on 23 and I'd put one in my garage.

VikingJZ
10-21-2009, 05:39 AM

It will Dan.

No company works on something this involved for over a decade with test cars out the ass if they had no intent on producing it.

This isn't just a limited run car, this is a platform for Toyota to launch other stuff.

It sparks interest in a modern age to reintroduce Toyota sports cars.

Granted a six figure beast may not be the best way, but nonetheless.

I still say a competitor to the GT-R is Toyota's best option.

That would have been out before Nissan got the GT-R out.

And it would sell.

Hard.

T-spoon
10-21-2009, 05:41 AM
They will definitely sell. It's amazing and I'll never drive one, but I would if I could :)

VikingJZ
10-21-2009, 05:47 AM
They will definitely sell. It's amazing and I'll never drive one, but I would if I could :)

lol I know right?

There will be one in the Toyota museum as well, I'm sure.

Also note that the 500 are for production to wealthy bastards. There are numerous other ones they will have for other shit.

My uncle works for AM General at their HQ in South Bend, he worked for the IT department at the H2 plant before relocating to the main office.

He had a pre-production H2 test vehicle in 2001 before it was even released. I got to drive it up a hill at the town park. THAT shit was cool! Didn't have a VIN or anything and still had concept parts on it. We almost bought one, but my dad looked at the MPG and said FTS!

KoreanJoey
10-21-2009, 07:31 AM
It Sounds Like Pure Sex.

joe's gt
10-22-2009, 04:11 AM
So purrrrty. Me want!

Shadowlife25
10-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Daddy like!

KoreanJoey
10-22-2009, 06:08 AM

It's already been added to the Lexus website.

Ghosty
10-22-2009, 07:06 AM
It's already been added to the Lexus website.

It has. And impressively, there's an LFA configurator.

http://ww2.lexus-lfa.com/index.html

Sadly, Toyota doesn't have the same for the FT86. It's not even listed among the concepts. :(

Doctor Jinxed
10-22-2009, 07:28 AM
They're still hush hush about the exact specs on the FT-86 too even.

As for the LF-A, obviously a 400,000 dollar car isn't something I can personally get excited about, but Toyota actually making something that isn't a bread and butter family sedan says good things.

The LF-A was the catalyst, and the FT-86 is the first in what I hope to be a line of some cool ass cars (something to compete with the genesis coupe, perhaps?)

Nitro_Alltrac
10-23-2009, 09:38 PM
It's a beautiful car and I like it a lot, but I wish they had brought it in at a price point to be competitive with the GTR. In my opinion, the Supra needs to compete with the Z car, not the GTR. Toyota doesn't need another high priced Supra. A GTR competitor would be good, but don't make it the Supra. Toyota has basically ceded that market to Nissan. I know a lot of the mags compare the Z with the Mustang and now the Camaro but I don't really see anybody that would be looking for a Mustang or Camaro cross shopping the Z. Two different demographics for the most part. The Supra would be a good counter to the Z.

I really hope the FT-86 gets to market quick. If it comes out close to the concept, I'll buy one.

RedRkt01
10-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I got to actually touch one at the 2007 Detroit auto show. After I touched it I had to go to the restroom to clean the cum out of my pants.

Does the LFA font on the website look familiar to you guys?

Ghosty
10-24-2009, 12:46 AM
It's a beautiful car and I like it a lot, but I wish they had brought it in at a price point to be competitive with the GTR. In my opinion, the Supra needs to compete with the Z car, not the GTR. Toyota doesn't need another high priced Supra. A GTR competitor would be good, but don't make it the Supra. Toyota has basically ceded that market to Nissan. I know a lot of the mags compare the Z with the Mustang and now the Camaro but I don't really see anybody that would be looking for a Mustang or Camaro cross shopping the Z. Two different demographics for the most part. The Supra would be a good counter to the Z.

I really hope the FT-86 gets to market quick. If it comes out close to the concept, I'll buy one.

Historically though, the Supra always has been in competition with the GT-R. They've been in the front-engine, approximately 3.0 liters in displacement (2.6-2.8L for the GTR, depending on trim level), turbocharged, heavy category.

I wish I had some info on MSRP for the GT-R and the Supra from back in the day, but to the best of my knowledge, both sold for the equivalent of $30,000 in American dollars in the mid-90s. Accounting for inflation, that's about $42,000 dollars today. I don't think Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Nissan or any other Japanese manufacturer has a car like that today.

New cars today around the $42,000 range include the Porsche Boxter ($46k, 3.2L boxter 6 engine, 250 horsepower), BMW Z4 30i Roadster ($46k, 3.2L L6, 330HP), Audi A4 Avant Wagon ($42k, 2.0L L4, 200HP), Infiniti G37 Sport Convertible ($43k, 3.7L V6, 325HP), Lexus IS250 C Convertible ($41k, 2.5L V6, 204HP).

(Interestingly, $42k outstrips all current Japanese sports cars, including the STi wagon, Lancer Evo, 370Z, RX-8, Miata, what have you... these cars typically come between $29k and $36k)

Now, you have a GTR pushing $80k, still under $100k, but isn't far from Mercedes SL550, BMW M5, Audi S8, Porsche 911. And then you have the LF-A, pushing $375k, and that's in Ferrari 599, Lamborghini Murcielago and Aston Martin DBS territory. There is a big imbalance when it comes to Japanese sports cars.

The FT86 should come in at about $20k and with less horsepower than the Z. To compete with the Z, Toyota would need a FR car with an N/A V6 and about 350 horsepower, and price it at $30k. But what would be even more ballsy would be to make a turbocharged V6 with 425 horsepower and sell that for $40k. That would be the new Supra.

KoreanJoey
10-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Funny you say that about the Z when the RX8 competes with it just fine and makes piddly power and torque...

And drinks gas like it's going out of style...

FT has a boxer motor and will be sold as a scion... No thanks.