PDA

View Full Version : Everything Rattles!

toyotaguy90
10-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Ok so I am quite fed up with my car. Every time i get in the thing i realize how much everything rattles. From the dash to the door panels to the shifter console to the sunroof panel. So i was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and what they did about it. I was thinking that some of the panels might be loose and i have heard some people have taken foam and wrapped it around the clips and stuff. Also i have been told to add sound dampening to the doors and floor and such. Sorry i am ending my rant now...

Freshnicity
10-20-2009, 12:40 AM
That little trim peice above the steering colom(i cant spell) rattles in mine. As well as the black trim piece under neith that right above the pedals. Also a bunch of other random shit..its annoying but whatever.

just make sure its all bolted/screwed down tight.

celicaturbo700
10-20-2009, 12:55 AM
+1
my thought is that your stuff is not tight down good like fresh said. ever went back through it all? just to see if they are tightened down?

Murgatroy
10-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Chaos has been beat worse and more thoroughly than nearly any car on this site, and still, no rattles.

toyotaguy90
10-20-2009, 04:44 AM
Yeah, well I assume that my dash has been disassembled at some point because it was missing some screws when i bought it, maybe i need to tear it all apart and figure out what else is missing. As for the sunroof panel i dont know what to do about that.

Freshnicity
10-20-2009, 04:58 AM
Yeah, well I assume that my dash has been disassembled at some point because it was missing some screws when i bought it, maybe i need to tear it all apart and figure out what else is missing. As for the sunroof panel i dont know what to do about that.

my sunroof panel does the same thing..thats the most irritating cause its right by my head. I just put it on tilt...and if its raining.i just speed up lol.Not sure how to fix that one

no seriously though..the dash ones can usually be fixed with screws..ive also used the little round velcro(cant spell again) tabs in between some trim pieces that were rattling, works great, and you cant even see them.

KM
10-20-2009, 05:12 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Z-TdOe%2BjL._SS500_.jpg

rizin
10-20-2009, 05:13 AM
well the foam, felt and everyhting that keeps a quite when new is going crap on my car. So now The radio is the key the louder the less I hear the rattle.

DudeMan
10-20-2009, 05:33 AM
You can actually buy washers made of cork. A friend of mine put a ton of those things in his Jeep after installing subs in the back and it worked pretty well.

The dash in both my 4th gen GTS and 5th gen GT4 both rattle at certain RPM, annoys the shit out of me but I've never really tried to fix it.

KoreanJoey
10-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Poly suspension bushings + 450in/lbs springs + solid metal camber plates + 5 years of race abuse = rattling bastard.

CriScO
10-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Do mine rattle? Oh yeah. The coupe's a fucking moracca. What have I done about it? See rizin's post. :hehe: The full exhaust does a good job drowning it out too.

Well, I did put in poly motor mounts. So I have done something. Something that makes it worse counts, right? :D

In all seriousness though, you're on the right track. Lots of foam insulation.

toyotaguy90
10-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah its partly my fault with the coilovers and exhaust and everything i suppose. It has always bothered me but for some reason lately i have been more motivated to do something about it.. well see if i actually do it or not, where would i put velcro at?

goretro77
10-20-2009, 11:50 PM
nothin beats the rattles of a Lotus. lol!

I did cure my car's rattles - 1 was that the heat shield located ABOVE the muffler was too close and would touch the muffler, the second was found to be the wheel liners moving around. Better fasteners cleaned up this problem and has made my particular Elise a pretty rattle free ride.

toyotaguy90
10-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Man i would be pisssed if i paid that much for a car and it rattled

celica91gts
10-21-2009, 05:48 AM
my solid motor mounts dont help the rattling but yeah. all these noises make my joy a lot less enjoyable. i've looked around and tightened nuts and bolts but it seems to be the worn out plastic clips that are to blame.

KoreanJoey
10-21-2009, 07:30 AM
nothin beats the rattles of a Lotus. lol!

I did cure my car's rattles - 1 was that the heat shield located ABOVE the muffler was too close and would touch the muffler, the second was found to be the wheel liners moving around. Better fasteners cleaned up this problem and has made my particular Elise a pretty rattle free ride.

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman

Galcobar
10-21-2009, 08:49 AM
I think I've spent as much on plastic clips and fasteners as I did on the hardware for my suspension arm conversion.

Wicked Toys
10-21-2009, 08:33 PM
I had lots of rattles when I bought my GT.

Stripped bumpers, doors and full interior to correct areas.

Went to the junk yard for alot of plastic clips. Used alot of sticky felt under and behind panels. Cleaned up wiring.

Tightened up engine bay and corrected all underside issues.

Completeted during a weekend.

toyotaguy90
10-21-2009, 08:36 PM
what did you find that was coming from the engine bay?

Carolina91GT-S
10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
new engine mounts changed my rattling issues a lot. new suspension would go a long way too.

Remeber your car is almost 20 years old and those parts deal with the most vibration...they gotta be worn out.

Shadowlife25
10-26-2009, 07:15 AM
If anyone cares,

I found that most of the rattle issues in the interior were from the door panels and the dash area.

I spent $30 on 10 yards of marine grade closed cell foam in an 1/8" thickness.
Use closed cell foam only. Reason being that any regular old foam will mildew.

I removed my door panels and applied a door shaped cutout to each side using 3M Super 99. (about $20 a can, but holds up extremely well to heat...)

End result is a rattle free car that is again a pleasure to drive.

If requested, I can do a full write-up with photos.

RedRkt01
10-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Mario, I request it. I've been brainstorming on ideas to make my Celicas quieter in the cockpit. I think one of the things I'm going to do is reduce road noise with some type of mat beneath the all of the carpeting....literally from the kickboard to the rear of the hatch. There is also plenty of room for some kind of sound deadener behind the hatch interior paneling....gotta do something there. I would very much appreciate a write up on the doors and dash.

PS....this must be more of a 5th Gen issue because I don't really have that much of a problem in any of my 4th Gens. Certainly not to the level that people in this thread are complaining. Interesting.

goretro77
10-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Man i would be pisssed if i paid that much for a car and it rattled

You'll find many true sportscars that rattle - its because in order to create a rattle free car - you'll have to add more weight, sound deadening material, more fasteners, etc... making it more 'luxurious'. If comfort and perceived noise and rattle is a high priority it will have to take away from something else like 'performance'. Especially if you want high performance for a car that does not have all that much power but competes and is classed with much higher powered cars.

Also - extra sticky tires kick up debris like rocks, pebbles striking the underside giving the feeling of more rattles. Drive a formula ford and you'll hear lots of rattles.

RedRkt01
10-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Retro, I generally agree with you. However I do believe that there is a reasonable compromise between the two. Most of us have DDs so I think weight is basically a non-issue. I think that its a moot point to discuss unless we are on the track. I mean, really, what are we talking about here? Times from traffic signal to traffic signal?

About true sports cars.....my buddies E30 M3 is a case in point. It rattles with a jungle-like beat.

toyotaguy90
10-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Shadow, i second a request for a write up. I'm not too concerned about weight my car isn't a race car its slow either way and i do a lot of 500+ mile trips with it so i would like a little less freeway noise from it. I emailed the sales guy at raamaudio.com and he will cut anyone quite a good deal if they belong to toyotanation.com. i think i'm going to order a roll of the sound deadening and do the whole floor and maybe the trunk with it.

Shadowlife25
10-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Ok fellas.

To be clear on something, there is vibration damping and sound damping. Some things do both (usually not well).

I will try to at least get started on a write-up this week, but as some of you know I am quite busy of late.

I already have Dynamat in my car from firewall to hatch (Yes literally)
Please do not assume that I am not covering these things because I don't want to share.
The method I initially referred to was what actually eliminated the rattles.
Other things done to the car were to provide better acoustics and make it more "dead".

Hope that made sense.

goretro77
10-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Retro, I generally agree with you. However I do believe that there is a reasonable compromise between the two. Most of us have DDs so I think weight is basically a non-issue. I think that its moot point to discuss unless we are on the track. I mean, really, what are we talking about here? Times from traffic signal to traffic signal.

About true sports cars.......my buddies E30 M3 is a case in point. It rattles with a jungle-like beat.

Yes, I agree with you too and do agree that the can be a reasonable compromise between the two. Within a week of owning my Elise I went after the little noise gremlins and promptly fixed them. Its not quiet but it is not 'rattly' either.

toyotaguy90
10-26-2009, 11:51 PM
yeah i realize that the sound mat will not stop the rattling but i'm concerned with road noise as well.

RedRkt01
10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Hope that made sense.

It did. I should've been more on topic too, but I was literally about to post up about deadening road noise when I saw this thread.....so I posted up with what I wanted to talk about in a rather impulsive moment.

I have some mior rattles too, but those don't really bother me. I also think that I'll be able to better isolate those rattles once I can hear them better. I think that's best done with the road noise minimized as best as possible.

Please tell me about your dynamat installation. How much did it set you back? How did you decide to cut it up and lay it out? Was there a noticable improvment in cooling and sound deadening? Et cetera, et cetera. I want to follow you lead on this one.

toyotaguy90
10-27-2009, 12:09 AM
I went to lowes today to look for some adhesive foam, they didn't have anything that was "closed" cell. Does anyone know where to get it?

Shadowlife25
10-27-2009, 01:22 AM
You don't want adhesive backed foam. It won't in my experience hold up. I tried it and had to completely redo everything 2 months later. Do it once, do it right. ;)

You can purchase online or go to any marine supply store. (boat)

You will want to get 1/8" closed cell foam. It is usually white in color.

i did a couple different things in my install.

First, I removed the door skin and applied a layer of foam or simply glued little 1-1.5" squares at the major contact points.

Next was the door panel itself.

I did not go so far as to re-route any of the wiring for that "Ultra Clean" look, so it isn't "pretty" but then again, I didn't build it for sound comps where this would get me points either. ;)
I removed the big access plate on the door and also removed the speaker mount (I have System10).
Next I used some simple green to completely clean the inside of the door.
Then go over it all with either some cheap Isopropyl Alcohol or very quickly with a small bit of thinner.
This is to prep the surface for the adhesive.
Do the same to the open face of the door panel, making sure to clean under all the wire runs.
Remember, this is only to be done to the sheet metal that is going to have foam/deadener applied.
Next you'll want to cut your foam or deadener to easily applicable pieces.
Do a dry layout (no adhesive or not pulling the backing on your deadener)
Make sure that you have cut holes for areas that screws or fasteners will be going back through.
^^This is important.

If everything seems good, you will want to begin applying your Super99 adhesive.

First make sure you have the correct face (inside) of your foam facing you.
Following the Super99 instructions, apply a layer to your foam.
Let it sit for a minute or until it is tacky.
Do the same to the area on the door panel to which you will be applying the foam.

Once both mating surfaces are tacky, apply your foam.
Do try to make sure that you apply pressure as evenly as possible to assure proper adhesion and not leave any spots for water/moisture to pool.
Pay special attention to your edges.
I used my Dynamat roller to do this and it worked quite well.

At first when you have let everything cure and are ready to mount your panel, you will notice that the foam is quite puffy.
Don't worry, as it will compress once mounted and will have the screws going through it as well as the retainer clips.

For those of you who would like to put on some new washers, go to an OSH or Lowes or whatever is in your area, and get Nylon washers in the appropriate size.
They are cheap and do a great job.
I recommend using the Nylon washers on both the inside and outside of the large Phillips head screws that attach the panel to the door only. Anything else is basically wasted in my opinion.

As for application of Dynamat, the measuring and cutting process is basically the same.
I personally used a Dynamat roller and a Hitachi adjustable range Heat Gun to assure the best possible adhesion. Loose dampening is not effective. ;)

Some go so far as to completely remove the OEM tar based deadener, but I opted not to do this, as with the heat gun it all adhered quite well. I simply heated the OEM stuff first and then applied the Dynamat.

In case you were at all wondering, yes, you can apply the foam over the Dynamat.
I did this on my doors and they are as "dead" as I could hope for.

I purchased my Dynamat from Amazon for $100 shipped and got the biggest amount they sell. Something like 14 2'x3' sheets. :D

You can find it cheaply if you are patient and look around.
I never recommend lesser brands due to different chemical comps and varying climate conditions. Though Raamat is some good stuff too.

toyotaguy90
10-27-2009, 03:30 AM
Ok so is the foam in large squares or is it in strips?

Galcobar
10-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Shadow, did you pull the door panel, and then separate the metal sections of the door to do this?

Shadowlife25
10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
The foam comes in a roll. You cut it to fit. :)

Galcobar, could you maybe explain a bit better?
I did pull off the access panel on the door as well as the speaker enclosure.

RedRkt01
10-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm wondering how all that will work with a 4th Gen. The interior panel is pretty simple so I'm worried that there won't be enough room to actual fit all of that in between the panel and the metal door skeleton.

Galcobar
10-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Door layers: interior panel (vinyl over pressboard); System 10 speaker mount and two panels; metal panel to which wiring and lock/window hardware is mounted; outer body skin.

Far as I can tell the metal panel on which the window et al is mounted can be removed; wondering if you did so to apply the foam within the cavity, between the two main metal layers of the door.

Shadowlife25
10-28-2009, 04:42 AM
Red: It will work out just fine. The 4th gen actually has more retainer clips to secure it than the 5g so it will be fine. Much easier job as well since there are less contours.

Galcobar: You only remove the system10 speaker insert and the metal access plate.
Then you can apply to the outer door skin through the access hole.

I did Dynamat against the outer door skin and foam on the metal face that goes against the interior panel and the panel itself in select areas.

I'm mad busy right now trying to get the parts pulled for people off my parts car at the moment.
I will try to do my best to pick up some supplies and do a write up by next week.
It is coming up on rainy season and I don't have a garage, so you may have to bear with me.

I really would like to do this for you all though. :) So, it will happen.

toyotaguy90
10-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks!

toyotaguy90
11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Ok so i went to the marine store, no such luck on foam. Does anyone have a link to the stuff online?

Shadowlife25
11-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Gimme 5 minutes.

Shadowlife25
11-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Can't find it now for some reason. :(

I'll call my buddy and get the name of the shop we picked it up from.