PDA

View Full Version : troubles

Jaemus
03-29-2005, 02:51 PM
well, today, i was out looking at units for lease, and all of a sudden, the 205 started shaking, making a rumbling noise, occasionally backfiring, losing power substantially, and when i pulled up, idling like a 2 stroke. clearly, i had lost a cylinder. all the leads were on, so there wasnt much for me to do but drive it down to my mate's place, where he is currently transplanting an EA82T into his subaru vortex, (ironically my car was sounding somewhat boxer-ish) and therefore has alot of tools that i dont have all ready for some work. what followed was a long tale of getting the fucking IC out of the way, testing to see which cylinder was the offender, having to find the right plug socket, and finally removing the plug. I found that it was badly fouled with oil, and worn. For those that don't know, some other problems ive been having aside from minor ECU retarding issues, is the fucker has been doing its best to empty the sump out through the tailpipe. all indications point to valve stem seals being knackered, but i have yet to do a compression test. the turbo seems okay. anyway - its now gotten bad enough to oil a plug. since it was fairly well worn down as well, i headed off to the nearest parts place that might stock decent NGK plugs, which happened to be repco at prospect. the sales dude was the worst ive ever encountered, and this includes those at mcdonalds:

*dude stares at something off to the side
*i walk up
me) hello
me) umm
dude) how are you
me) alright, im -
me) - im after some spark plugs...
me) can you help me with that?
*dude stares at something off to the side for just a bit longer
dude) yeah
me) um
me) Its a '94 toyota celica GT4, which is an ST205
*dude looks at me
*looks at me again and FINALLY starts tapping on his computer

he tells me they have NGK platinums and iridiums, BKR6EIX. so im like, sure, ill take 4 iridiums, hes like, we only have 3, im like, well give me platinums, hes like, we only have 1, im all, dont you stock them in sets ffs? hes like nup, so im all well give me one iridium, put the two you have on hold and order one more and when it gets here, hold that too

i had to explain that three times before i was confident he got the gist

so anyway one iridium in and its back to 'normal' - smoking and being slightly erratic. now i have to pull the fucker apart again tommorow to do the rest.

robbie
03-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Poor 205 :(
Geez jaemus i would have just gone to another parts place..

Classique71
04-01-2005, 04:55 AM
bad news on the head dude :( and even worse for the tard behind the counter - youll find being a gt4 owner now - that youll encounter this ALOT ..

as for the head - if you DO need to get her built up - would you go standard - or start tweaking her up ?

Jaemus
04-01-2005, 07:37 AM
hmm, well i was wondering about that, the block has 230 thou on it now, so im reluctant, but with a new head the engine overall should have a better chance of withstanding such tweakery. not sure what i'd do exactly as ive generally avoided most forms of modification due to insurance issues - however insurance is alot better these days - but any mods to the head would require alot of supporting mods, so its a bit like commitment. in a nutshell, not sure, youd have to talk me into it

Keyroo
04-02-2005, 03:48 AM
bugger ddue, that sucks man,, hope everything works out

i'm not gonna talk u into modding it, with mods come problems, if u dont' want hte problems just be happy with haveing a gorgeous standard well built car

trust me about the problems after mods, u make one thing more powerfull, or stronger then teh weakest link goes, replace that and a new weak link appears,, its' a never ending cycle,,

Jaemus
04-02-2005, 03:51 AM
yah, and i dont want that

anyway priority one is to fix the fucker
assuming i dont sell it. im thinking now i fucked up buying this one

ive replaced the other three plugs now. the car is pretty well the same as always, erratic and smokey, a bit smoother tho

Keyroo
04-02-2005, 04:54 AM
bugger man,,

well u know about when i bought mine and the engine blew a week after i bought it, so i know how u feel man, ti's disapointing,, good luck bro

hobbie2k
04-02-2005, 06:20 AM
hey, if everything else is okay on the car, I say rebuild the bottom end with some stronger forged items (but maintain stock dimensions to avoid those modding issues), rebuild the head stronger, but with stock dimensions as well, then you should have a good base for some light to moderate power modding... but that'd be pretty spendy, I guess...

J.F. Allen
04-03-2005, 07:46 AM
bugger man,,

well u know about when i bought mine and the engine blew a week after i bought it, so i know how u feel man, ti's disapointing,, good luck bro

Didin't know about that :ugh: , My JSpec GT4 is still misfireing on boost, gettng a diagnostic done next Thursday after my compliance inspection.

Then again since we drive sports cars, we have to expect problems :(

Jordan

Jaemus
04-05-2005, 11:32 AM
so you killed the hilux eh :)

yeah, let me know what they find, cos i may have a similar issue. i think mine is a sensor, i just havent narrowed it down to which one yet.

J.F. Allen
04-05-2005, 01:03 PM
so you killed the hilux eh :)
I got close.

I sold it to a mate for $500. It took him less tha a month to write it off. He was towing a defected AE86 on a car trailer too fast down a hill. When the shakes began its fate was sealed.

I'll let you know what they find next thursday.

Jordan

Beej
04-06-2005, 10:48 AM
booooooooooooooo

well if u love her mate, u'll fix her. cash is always an issue to, dependign of course on the amount of love ;)

i hope it all werks out dude, and doesnt end up leaving u pennyless

damn stoopid counter tards :P

Keyroo
04-06-2005, 11:39 AM
man, i'm sick of throwing money into this car, this week, i've been spending bits and bobs on getting teh car up to scratch, 60 bucks here for a oxy sensor, 30 here for a cv joint boot, 50 for spark plugs (hooj discount on that one) now i've got a fucked bush in my rear left from the incident the other day, tahts gonna be a slut,

i know how u feel man, u really get over all the shit constantly,, ti's sad, i fixed that oxy sensor tonight and for the first time in two yers i pulled my codes and it was clean! ,,, thats sad,,

Jaemus
04-07-2005, 12:38 PM
J.F: sorry to hear it went that way, i hope the 86 was okay?
Beej: yah, the plan now is, do a compression test, then i should have a good idea what is fucked, i suss out how much i can do myself, then get quotes for the rest, and if i cant get a low enough quote, its up for sale.
Keyroo: looking at it optimistically, you may have been set back one step on the bush, but youve taken 3 steps ahead with the cv boot, plugs and sensor :)

BlackGT4
04-07-2005, 02:34 PM
pain in the arse these cars.. but they make me happy when they do work. so its all good :)

Keyroo
04-07-2005, 09:39 PM
yeah i guess ben, but things like teh boot nad the sensor is money i shouldn't be spending ,, oh wells

good luck bro,