PDA

View Full Version : Plz Help me with Hoses

joe's gt
10-17-2009, 07:01 AM
So ever since I can remember completing the swap, I've always had a slight coolant leak. Timing area is dry, so I don't think its the pump, radiator isn't leaking and has recently been replaced, so I think its the hoses.

The reason I think its the hoses, is cuz I suck at putting them on. I never know whether the hose I put on is the right size or needs to be a little smaller and whether I have the correct clamping force or not.

The area by the tvsv and the purple vacuum canister always seem to have liquid drops of coolant on them and I have to add about a quart of coolant every 3 weeks to a month, so its a slow leak. I have replaced all the coolant hoses in my car.

So I guess my question is, does anybody have any tips on hose sizing and clamping? How should the new hose feel going onto the metal nipple? How much clamping force should be applied? How do I know if I have the right size?

After I replaced all my hoses on my car, it just didn't feel like I knew what I was doing and it just didn't quite feel right when I was finished if that makes any sense. It just seemed some hoses had abnormal bulges and things like that. I think I used just standard fuel hose from kragen also.

So I plan on redoing it the right way once I get some suggestions from you guys.

Freshnicity
10-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Not quite sure how to explain it.

What I did was took all the old hoses off the GT when i got it, labled them, took them to Kragen/Pepboys/Napa and had every single one matched in size/length.

But you should be able to judge the hose size by simply seeing where it attaches to. if you need help doing this, let me know, ill come out and lend a hand.

joe's gt
10-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Probably gonna do it at home. I have more tools there. It sounds like a stupid question and most people probably think it is, I honestly just didn't feel right about the hoses I replaced, so I am just looking for advice on putting them on.

Some of them seem to have wet ends and tightening the clamp doesn't seem to do anything. These are completely new hoses too.

Freshnicity
10-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Probably gonna do it at home. I have more tools there. It sounds like a stupid question and most people probably think it is, I honestly just didn't feel right about the hoses I replaced, so I am just looking for advice on putting them on.

Some of them seem to have wet ends and tightening the clamp doesn't seem to do anything. These are completely new hoses too.

Not a stupid question, if you are second guessing it, then you should address it.

Are the hoses far enough onto the tubes and what not they are being put on? I try to move them up as far as possible, then clamp it. Also when clamping it, ive tightend them till i can feel it get snug, then do half turns until I feel its fully secured. Have to be carful not to bend/break any tubes though(i did)

What clamps are you using too? Another thing Ive learned to help get hoses on a little easier is using soap on the tubing its going on, as lube kind of. Probably not the most professional way to do it, but it does work very well.

KM
10-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Another thing Ive learned to help get hoses on a little easier is using soap on the tubing its going on, as lube kind of. Probably not the most professional way to do it, but it does work very well.

Professional or not, soap works for all kinds of rubber, especially putting tires on rims.

Boycott!Swagger
10-17-2009, 10:36 AM
First of all. If you don't feel right about it don't go with it. Bad decisions are always the worst when its too late. If worse comes to worse, i would get it professionally done. Also, you could always get those, extremely overpriced, somewhat ricey, but kind of cool clear "showroom" hoses. As far as i know they are in fact functional <---that spelling doesn't look right>.

joe's gt
10-17-2009, 07:22 PM
I have used dish soap before for removing and installing rubber hand grips on my bike, so yeah, that does work very well. Thanks for the idea.

So what is it suppose to feel like when slipping hoses over the nipple? Is it suppose to be very tough, but at the same time the bulge should not be too big from the flare? Some of my hoses slipped on rather easily if I remember correctly.

Do you guys just use standard automotive fuel hose?

Where do you put the clamp after the hose is on? Basically right behind and pushed up against the flare?

alistair
10-18-2009, 02:29 AM
I use the right hose for the job.

If it's going to be high pressure, use fuel hose.
If it's going to be low pressure, I cheat and use windshield wiper hose
If it's going to be high temp and high pressure, I use heater hose.

When in doubt, use heater hose.

When fitting hoses, there should be *some* resistance, but you shouldn't be going blue in the face trying to get the hose on. I recently incorrectly bought some 1/4" hose for a 3/8" fitting. It was a supreme bitch to get the hose on.

I usually put about 3" or so of hose onto the fitting if there's room, and I'll put my clamp in about the middle.

Hope this helps!