PDA

View Full Version : School me on clutches

4thgenceli
10-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Clearly a 4g 3sgte and a good LSD trans mean nothing if you can't get the power from the engine to the trans.

Luni suggested going with the ACT XD 6puck unsprung kit.

http://www.advancedclutch.com/products/clutchkits.aspx?prod_id=6962 (http://www.advancedclutch.com/products/clutchkits.aspx?prod_id=6962#6962)

The one I'm looking at is the ACT TC4-HDR6

I have no clue what sprung or unsprung is between the clutches. Doing some google searches, I found the following information.

http://image.srtforums.com/srtforums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f213/sprung-unsprung-6puck-question-422915/#post5817820) Solid center may shift a bit faster due to reduced weight but spline wear on the hub is increased. Gear noise increases. Clutch chatters and engagement is not as forgiving. In other words, if you dump the clutch during launch or shifts, engagement is immediate.

Spring center will dampen out torsional vibration for quieter operation and longer spline life. Still chatters but is a little forgiving.

SRT Forums (http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f213/sprung-unsprung-6puck-question-422915/)

WRX ATL (http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-12197.html) members complain of chatter & bitchy traffic conditions for daily driving.

VW Vortex (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=1166071) members say that it's about OEM pedal travel, grabs like a bat outta hell, and chatter isn't bad providing there's no hotspots on pressure plate or flywheel.

I'm planning on either a new or turning the 215's flywheel. Pressure plate will be a new purchase.

My question... does anybody here run the ACT 6puck unsprung in their swap or 3sgte? Reviews/gripes/issues?

METDeath
10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
If you're planning on putting down power, the 6-puck unsprung clutch is the way to go. I drove Luni's, and the clutch pwnd my novice ass for a quite a bit. Well, apparently it's really the pressure plate that pwnd me, not the clutch.

Anyway, the clutch was solid, engagement was very quick.

BabyBear
10-15-2009, 08:44 PM
I've got an ACT 6 puck unsprung on my MR2, mine is the toned down version of Luni's. Its a good clutch, I'm not a fan of ACT's lightweight flywheel, but the clutch is awesome. Mine is the TM1-HDR6.

4thgenceli
10-15-2009, 09:14 PM
I emailed one selling act on e bay...

The only difference is that we include OUR 6 puck sprung disc instead of the ACT disc.

The reason we do this is to save our customers money. When it comes to clutches, pressure plates are the most important part of the clutch assembly. ACT HD pressure plates are very strong and reliable but their discs are not any better than your standard performance disc. You just end up paying more for their name on their disc.

PRICING ON OUR KIT (ACT/ F1)(TC4-R3D) $359.00

PRICING ON FULL ACT KIT (ACT) (TC4-HDG6) $405.00

WTF is that about.. :-\

joe's gt
10-15-2009, 10:11 PM
if you get a new one, go lightweight. Otherwise just turn your stocker flywheel.

Supposedly with a lightweight flywheel its harder to launch, but the lighter rotating assembly yields faster acceleration.

Shadowlife25
10-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I always recommend Exedy or ACT. Usually Exedy though. It won't disappoint.

Also, try not to get the clutch assembly items separately.
Just get a kit of your choice and it will have everything you need and save you money.

Flywheel is meh... Just get it resurfaced.
You can get a lightweight version, but I have no idea what the availablilty is on those for the 215.

Ask Tecker184 about that, he can likely tell you how it worked out for him.

Shadowlife25
10-15-2009, 10:19 PM
I emailed one selling act on e bay...

WTF is that about.. :-\

CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Buy from a major manufacturer and you get the warranty and customer service that you are entitled to.

Low buck deals or e-bay sellers simply can NOT provide this to you.

Sang
10-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Also, try not to get the clutch assembly items separately.

The only thing that's actually worthwhile in a kit is the alignment tool. Most use an oem TOB, negating the need for the one that comes in the clutch kit.

Buying the pressure plate and disc, then buying an oem TOB, then reusing your old alignment tool or borrowing one, you'll save money compared to buying a complete kit then an oem TOB on top.

At least, that's what I would do.

BTW - turboimport.com had the best pricing on 3sgte hdr6's that i've seen. Most sell the kit for ~$400+, they got it for 385.

ATS sells a nice unsprung 6 puck, but costs more. Southbend also sells an unsprung 6 puck that seems to be holding up well as well.

...just make sure you get an unsprung disc.

KoreanJoey
10-16-2009, 02:07 AM
I <3 my Comp clutch. 6 puck unsprung, no break-in required. BUT it does drive smoother after a couple thousand miles.

Shadowlife25
10-16-2009, 05:27 AM
The only thing that's actually worthwhile in a kit is the alignment tool. Most use an oem TOB, negating the need for the one that comes in the clutch kit.

Sorry Sang, but no.

The benefit of buying it as a kit from one single company or supplier is that all of it has a warranty through them.

If you doubt the logic behind this, I have one word in response: SPEC

joe's gt
10-16-2009, 05:38 AM
I love my SPEC

but my stage 2 street disk does not like to be slipped at all.

Sang
10-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Sorry Sang, but no.

The benefit of buying it as a kit from one single company or supplier is that all of it has a warranty through them.

If you doubt the logic behind this, I have one word in response: SPEC

And you don't think ACT is going to warranty their pressure plate or disc if they fail?

BTW - warranty doesn't get you very far even if you buy the "kit" from places like SPEC. They have to admit their parts is what caused the failure in the first place to replace it, same with RPS.

Edit: btw - ACT only offers a limited warranty that lasts all of 90 days on all their products...not just their "kits"

KoreanJoey
10-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Competition is also one of our sponsors. :)

Tecker184
10-16-2009, 07:07 AM
I got an Exedy stage 1 for a 3S-GTE and Just a gen2 stock flywheel resurfaced.

The Flywheel that came with my manual fwd swap would not accept the 3S-GTE clutch set i bought. The bolt pattern is much smaller than the 3S-GTE fly wheel. I assume that a 5S-FE clutch would bolt up to it.

I had an exedy OEM replacement on my old GT-s and loved it. I can say the same about this clutch. The peddle is firm but not firm enough to not be dailyable. Slow release does give a little chadder along with down shifting if you do not rev match. I paid just under $300 for my set off ebay.

One thing though i could not use the pilot bearing that came with the set. There wasnt one in the engine when i pulled it apart and after installing the one that came with the kit it would not line up. I removed it and it went together fine.

Shadowlife25
10-16-2009, 09:18 AM
And you don't think ACT is going to warranty their pressure plate or disc if they fail?

BTW - warranty doesn't get you very far even if you buy the "kit" from places like SPEC. They have to admit their parts is what caused the failure in the first place to replace it, same with RPS.

Edit: btw - ACT only offers a limited warranty that lasts all of 90 days on all their products...not just their "kits"

Not saying they wouldn't but they are more likely to honor it if all parts are theirs.
That way they can't pull the "you mixed and matched and the other parts could have caused the failure..." BS.
I have had to deal with that before, so I was trying to spare anyone that particular crap if it ever came up.

You're correct though, 90 days is about it.

SPEC is CRAP.
Do a bit of research on them Joe. Especially the stage2 stuff they put out a while back. Pure fail.
I am glad that yours has held up ok.

Competition Clutch does also make a good product.

I will just throw it out there again, that EXEDY is owned and made by Daikin Clutch who are the worlds largest OEM supplier.
Who do you think made the stock unit that lasted me 143,000 miles? ;)

Shadowlife25
10-16-2009, 09:31 AM
One thing though i could not use the pilot bearing that came with the set. There wasnt one in the engine when i pulled it apart and after installing the one that came with the kit it would not line up. I removed it and it went together fine.

Our engines don't use a pilot bearing. :)

Tecker184
10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
haha i didn't know it came with the kit so i put it in there lol

Smaay
10-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Southbend makes an awesome clutch for our cars too. i have one in all mine, they have excellent customer support.

4thgenceli
10-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Well looks like I get to learn how to drive a stick all over again :(

Anybody lurking in AZ with a unsprung I can drive? :)

joe's gt
10-17-2009, 05:48 AM
SPEC is CRAP.
Do a bit of research on them Joe. Especially the stage2 stuff they put out a while back. Pure fail.
I am glad that yours has held up ok.

thats because I baby the shit out of it. The second I try a hard launch the the disk slips and doesn't even catch at all ;). Then for the next few shifts I can feel it slipping due to the heat. But its got, 40k on it right now and grabs fine as long as I don't try to slip it at high revs.

I will be going with an unsprung puck clutch then next time I have to go in there.

KoreanJoey
10-17-2009, 03:54 PM
^^So why do you love it? Sounds like ass to me...

joe's gt
10-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Because its one of the few things on my car to have held up well over time, even if it wasn't that great from the start. Its been like that since I got it, but with no time or money to be able to learn how to drive fast yet and a blown stock suspension, it grabs nice and smooth every time for normal daily driving. Just doesn't respond well to high rev launches, which I rarely do. Unfortunately I live around the sacramento area in CA, so the fuzz is all over the place around here and I don't get much opportunity to play.

As long as I don't do high rev, high heat launches causing it to slip, it performs pretty well through fast acceleration and quick high rev shifts.