PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever ran your car out of gas?

Blackcloud
10-14-2009, 01:28 AM
have you ever ran your car out of gas?

car
10-14-2009, 01:33 AM
This is in my bike though; I would be cruising down the road, and all the sudden the bike would die.
RESERVE TANK!!! I love them so much.

UndaGrwnD
10-14-2009, 01:57 AM
''Nope, but it's been close a few times''

:D

jimbob789
10-14-2009, 01:59 AM
yep, i ran out 2 weeks ago when i was queuing up for the petrol station, was only 1 car away from the pump, lol

GT4SOM
10-14-2009, 01:59 AM
I'm not dumb enough haha. I know my cars mpg limit on a full tank.

Blackcloud
10-14-2009, 02:08 AM
never have. came DAMN close tho... When i was selling my old duramax i had to take the cluster out to get it repaired. driving home from work i was debating stoping for fuel or not. decided to stop and put in a little over 26 gallons. truck has a 26 gallon tank. im surprised i even made it to the station.

would of sucked.. running a diesel out of fuel is bad news

Blackcloud
10-14-2009, 02:09 AM
:laugh: at lunis edit

Luni
10-14-2009, 02:10 AM
I do it at least once on every car I own, so I know how far I can go if shit goes down.

Dont hurt a gas car. Dont run a diesel out tho... bad juju.

Blackcloud
10-14-2009, 02:57 AM
my dic tells me how much further i can go before i run out of fuel. no need to test if its right or not

T-spoon
10-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Wife ran the Yaris out of gas though. In her defense, it wasn't too long after we got it, and the digital gauge is a bit tough to figure out and isn't really worth much ;)

I've known I was close before by taking a corner in a spirited fashion and having the engine sputter as the little bit of gas in the tank sloshed away from the pump, heheh.

alistair
10-14-2009, 03:15 AM
I've run my focus below E a couple times, but i was never more than a block from a gas station when it got to this point.

I don't trust the gauge in my celica so I fill it up when it hits half. It has a wonderful habit of going from half to warning light in a day.

85gtsblackman
10-14-2009, 03:17 AM
yeah ive done that in my 6th gen twice, go around a corner really hard and stubles for a sec

my last truck ran out of gas but it was the 1st time id driven it after i really got it running and got about a block and the seconary barrel opened up and used the last bit of gas

goretro77
10-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Yes, 18RG Celica can burn through a full tank of gas in one day when tracking it. For the record it had dual 44mm Mikuni Sidedraft Carbs.

MCcelica
10-14-2009, 03:43 AM
You mean to tell me I'm the ONLY one who hasn't even been close?

joe's gt
10-14-2009, 04:57 AM
I did it once, cuz my gauge doesn't work. Hauled ass as I went sputtering into a gas station, and everybody was looking at me as I'm flying to the pump on my blown shocks with car bouncing violently up and down cuz the asphalt was in horrible condition.

donteatbugs
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
every time i think im close i end up having 2-3 gallons still in the tank....nice of toyota to do that for me.

Doctor Jinxed
10-14-2009, 01:49 PM
In the Celi, I'd find myself riding while orange lighting for a couple days, but I've never run completely out.

I've been pushing it a bit with the 4runner the past week or so though, I might fill up tomorrow.

lalojamesliz
10-14-2009, 02:55 PM
every time i think im close i end up having 2-3 gallons still in the tank....nice of toyota to do that for me.

i had the exact same thing happen a few days ago :laugh:

METDeath
10-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I did it once in my Thunderbird, right up a hill from a gas station. Didn't have enough gas to get the car onto the hill though, had to get some guys from work to help me out (work was also down said hill).

VikingJZ
10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Twice in my old GMC truck. I was rolling into the gas station as it happened. I ended up coasting it to the pump as it shut off. The low fuel light would only work sometimes.

The other time I was five miles from home, it was 2:30 in the morning, and I was feeling pretty good to say the least. Pushed it all the way home. I made it home by morning with enough time to spare to take a shower and get to school.

That sucked.

Now, I never let my cars get below a 1/4 tank.

RedRkt01
10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Citing Cosmo Kramer I knew that there was life past the E. What an exhilirating experience. In those situations I always carried spare gas in the trunk.

Grot
10-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I ran my truck out of gas twice in 2 days. Still swear someone stole my gas tho, i shouldnt use a full tank with no leaks in 26 miles. My gas gauge dont work so i have a little excuse.

Now i always carry a little spare gas.

90CelicaST
10-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I was rolling into the gas station as it happened.
Did this. And also ran out at a friends house, didn't even realize I had ran out until I tried to leave and the car wouldn't idle.

Also this.

Now, I never let my cars get below a 1/4 tank.

opivy6989
10-15-2009, 05:21 AM
my gauge(5th gen) takes about 3 blocks to reach the proper level after filling, dunno why. it also does a lot of swaying while i drive, usually between E and 1/8th. keeps me on my toes. Anyone know how to fix it? im not even sure how the gauge gets the level readout

EDIT: checked my haynes. fuel sender gauge, may check that out sometime, no hurry.

rizin
10-15-2009, 05:52 AM
I would call it ran out drove a mile with it surging about the time I thought it was done it would pick up some fuel. Was happy to see the off ramp. Made it to the pump with out me pushing it.

jaydog82
10-15-2009, 06:36 AM
i did in my 84 GMC blazer, but not ever in my celica

andy
10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I ran my 1st gen out of gas last wendsday, 20ft from my facking house! GAH!!!! it was a nice walk tho.

Slider
10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Never, I usually fill up after it reaches 1/4 tank. I heard it's not good to run it dry because of the crap on the bottom of the tank might clog up your fuel filter and in the winter you get more condensation if the tank is really low. Don't know if it's true or not but it makes sense.

balang_479
10-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Ive ran it until the fuel pump was running dry.. never out completely though.

alistair
10-15-2009, 07:15 PM
my gauge(5th gen) takes about 3 blocks to reach the proper level after filling, dunno why. it also does a lot of swaying while i drive, usually between E and 1/8th. keeps me on my toes. Anyone know how to fix it? im not even sure how the gauge gets the level readout

EDIT: checked my haynes. fuel sender gauge, may check that out sometime, no hurry.

I have similar issues on my 4th gen, but I think it's because I run 10% Ethanol. Ethanol is supposedly notorious for confusing older fuel gauges.

Cavanagh
10-15-2009, 08:11 PM
never have. came DAMN close tho... When i was selling my old duramax i had to take the cluster out to get it repaired. driving home from work i was debating stoping for fuel or not. decided to stop and put in a little over 26 gallons. truck has a 26 gallon tank. im surprised i even made it to the station.

would of sucked.. running a diesel out of fuel is bad news
Must be hard to gauge in a GM (unless recently they fixed it) to tell how much gas you have, with their bouncing needles.

renegadex
10-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Ran my '78 spitfire out of gas once.

Blackcloud
10-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Must be hard to gauge in a GM (unless recently they fixed it) to tell how much gas you have, with their bouncing needles.

nope. all 3 of my trucks have been spot on.

even my old chevy work truck is accurate

Murgatroy
10-19-2009, 02:24 PM
When I was a kid, I was a broke motherfucker.

Broke motherfuckers and big powerful V8s don't mix.

As I got older, I kept gas in the cars. However, there would be more than one time I was counting pennies just to get home.

I haven't run one out of gas in about 10 years. The last time was because the fuel gauge didn't work. It was an `81 Camaro.

Disco Dan
10-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I have run every car I have owned to empty at least once. Some a few times. The '82 Supra was the most entertaining.

No warning.

In New Jersey.

New Jersey has a funny law. You can't carry gas in a gas tank unless you're taking it to fill up a lawn mower or other non-driving equipment.

Except that most places sell gas tanks. The cashier asked "that's to fill up your lawn mower, right?"

Awesome state to visit.

Then, once I added 5 gallons of gas from a tank which was, as stated before, intended for "my lawn mower," it took a few minutes of turning the key and pumping the pedal for the gas to actually get back into the system.

Amazing adventure!

My Civic will now only use about 9 of the 12 gallons in the tank, so it has "run out" more often than the others, but technically, I think I've only run all 12 gallons out once when I first got it.

My '92 has run out more than once. Twice I remember. The first time, it died at the red light across from the gas station. You know the situation. You've got a 6 mile stretch of road ahead of you and you think "I can make it to the gas station at the end of this stretch." So you go. And it sputters a couple of times but you say "come on, you can do it" coasting down hill when the car dies, popping the clutch at the bottom, hoping it will restart, putting on the hazards, pulling off to the side, thinking it's done, then burning rubber as the car finds a few drops more in the bottom of the tank. Anyway, it restarted just as the light went green, then died as I coasted to the pump.

The other time it died was about 50 feet from a gas station and it wouldn't restart. I got out of the car and asked the guy to push my car with his into the station.

Needless to say, I'm no stranger to walking to a gas station with a red can and filling up without a car.

Tara
10-21-2009, 07:01 AM
I did, once.

I had previously had a leak in the tank, so we dropped the tank, fixed the leak, and put it back in. It all went great, except for the hard line off the pickup breaking off when we went to remove it. We ended up putting in a pickup from a mkiii Supra - bolts right on, but doesn't reach all the way to the bottom of the tank. I drove around like that for almost a year, and only ran out of fuel once.

It was a cold, cold, sunny day: -30 C. I had plent of fuel - just over half a tank. Unfortunately, it was so cold that the stupid car ran pig rich for far too long, going through an eighth of a tank in no time flat.

I had an eighth of a tank left... but the pickup just wouldn't reach the fuel.

This issue has since been fixed, and I haven't run out of gas since then!

I will, however, never live down the call to my boyfriend at work... "It's - 30 out, and I've run out of gas. There are no stations within decent walking distance, and even if there were, I'd get frostbite before I got there!"

Fuelish
10-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Have I ever run it out of gas ??? no, never ever..... has Mrs Fuelish done so ??? .... well............

usp45
10-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I have managed to never run out. I put in like 5 gallons and don't fill back up until I almost run out every time. I'm sure my strategy will backfire someday.

Shadowlife25
11-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Ran my Rx-7 out of gas twice. :hehe:

The AllTrac, never.

richee3
11-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Never ran the Celi out of gas. Came really close once... That needle will drop way below E.

Lenny253
11-12-2009, 05:25 PM
never ran out of gas but did help some idiot in a truck that did. had to get a 2gal. gas can and filled it up, came back put gas in his truck and told him to go to the gas station 2 blocks away but he just drove past it.

ibtintn
11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I ran out of gas once in high school. I had this 1967 Mercedes s250 ran out of gas a had to walk my a$$ 30mins to the closest gas station. But to this day I still push my gas needle to the limit almost every time. The worst was when My girl and I went to Vancouver in her Mazda 3. On the way back we were going to kelowna about 200k away and thought I can make it. As I watched the needle get lower and lower I was getting real nervous. I was on E and still had 60kms left. My girl soon caught on to what was going And I got "why didnt you fill up earlier!" As I said I always have to push it to see how much I can get out of a tank. All I could think of is how far I am going to have to walk when we run out of gas. 30kms to go and the needle is a 8th behind the E. We are going to run out any min now and i still have 30kms to go. It was the worst time I have ever had driving. But by some grace of God we made it to the gas station. I filled the 60ltr tank with 59.5 ltrs. I didnt mention that the day before the ac pump seized and burnt the belt off. I guess if that didnt happen I would have had a little worse gas mileage and probably would have not made it. But did I learn my lesson ? No I still push my needle to see how much I can get out of a tank of gas.

klapa
12-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I built a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX with a 426 HEMI - Factory stock with dual Carter AFB four barrels.

That car could pass anything but a gas station - so long as you were going in a relatively straight line!

It did have some problems - one of which was I could never get the gas gauge working right even after dropping the tank and replacing the sending unit.

I miss that car - but I don't miss the "traffic school" that came with it.

hobbie2k
12-10-2009, 08:43 PM
The only time I've run out was with my 91 Sentra SE in college. The gauge would read "E" after only 6 gallons so I would use the trip odo...anyway, it was at about 430mi and I was leaving college for home (4 hour drive) at about 8pm. I got it out of the lot heading to the gas station (about 1/2 mile)...and it died, got it started again, drove about 20 ft, died again...damn. So I tried to push it into a nearby lot (no street parking), but the lot was uphill so I couldn't get it myself. I ran up to my dorm to get my roommate and send my girlfriend for gas, returned to the car 5 minutes later...and I had a parking ticket... My roommate and I got it up the hill and into a spot, and as I shut the door I realized that I had just locked the keys in...so I had to stand out by the car on a cold Nov night in North Dakota, waiting 45 mins for the locksmith to show up...then it took him another 45 mins to get the car open all the while the lights and radio were on, but the engine wasn't running. Fortunately, the battery was strong...

Fun night...

Last winter my wife ran her car out of gas on a -30 morning... That was a fun 6:30am rescue mission. The gas can was so cold and hard I had to stick the nozzle into the exhaust pipe to warm it enough to take the cap off.

187flatliner
02-10-2010, 08:48 AM
yep ...everytime i buy a new car so i noe how many miles i can get out of her.....always have a gas can filled tho....does that count as out of gas?

Kanoodle
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
My 85 MR2, ran out of gas on a Halloween night. It was a few miles from my home and raining :/ I was with my nephew and about a 1/4 home Two hotties pull up and offer us a ride home. My dumb shy ass didn't ask for a number even though the driver was flirting with me quite a bit :/

yep ...everytime i buy a new car so i noe how many miles i can get out of her.....always have a gas can filled tho....does that count as out of gas?

Sounds like a gas chamber to me. Cough cough :(

CollapsedNut
02-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Ran my old Jeep out once, but it was because the rubber return line was just dumping my gas out onto the road.

Physlis
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Never ran out in any of my cars. I think I got pretty close one time though in the GT-S. Went to a car show in Moab Utah from Ogden and pulled about 434 odd miles out of it going through mountains and such probly with the last 70 or so with the needle hanging out with the 'E'. Ran through a whole tank that day and never once sputtered or anything.

v3
02-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I ran my u-haul out of gas...but it wasn't my fault, the gauge still showed 1/4 tank.

Luckily I just dropped the Celica off the flatbed and drove to the nearest gas station.

VikingJZ
02-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Twice and both with my old GMC truck. The first time was because I thought it had a low-fuel light (which it didn't). Fortunately, I was already coasting into the gas station.

The second time was simply me being a cheap ass. I ended up pushing it about six miles at night. I was able to run it on fumes for a few minutes at a time before it stalled out. The last 1/4 mile I was able to get home via fume action.

Fail.

Locked my keys in my car? Yup about three times. Twice within a week.

PittsburghCeli
02-11-2010, 02:01 AM
It's a relieving feeling of accomplishment to sputter into the gas station on fumes, knowing that the car would not go another foot without more of what you just pulled up to.

allTRACway
05-24-2010, 02:14 AM
done it a couple times in old cars. i was young dumb and well just stupid. gotta do it tonight with the trac. tank issues

pinoyGT4
05-24-2010, 09:33 AM
low fuel light didnt work for the first time..

i only measured how long till it lasts when it lights up... but it didnt..

it died when im pulling up my garage... hahaha!

crash60068
05-24-2010, 09:51 AM
i start to panic once i see the light go on

brutekiller787
08-30-2010, 03:01 AM
i ran out of gas twice in my mustang. one time cuz i wanted to see if the gas light would come on (which it didn't) and once on accident on the way to the mall. supposedly has a 20 gallon tank but i ran it out and only put 15 gallons in. but never my civic and never my celica

Toyslider
08-31-2010, 02:49 AM
Nope never have. I usually fill up when i get to around a 1/4 tank. Just a habit I've had since i started started driving.

Facime
08-31-2010, 03:40 AM
When I was much younger and going to college for my second time I owned an 84 300ZX Turbo with what Nissan owners all know to be affectionally known as a "Bitchin Betty" warning system. I dont know how many times that voice wold tell me "Fuel Level...is LOW". On more than one occassion I actually used the starter with the car in gear (clutch interlock disabled) to make it the last few feet up to a pump.

On my current alltrac Ive discovered that the gauge is pretty inaccurate and read just over 3/4 when the tank is actually stuffed, and at empty I still have almost 5 gallons in it (having measured it when draining it for my pump replacement).

Its been years since I actually ran a vehicle out of gas.

JDM92
09-01-2010, 03:53 AM
not recently but the rav4's low fuel light has been on for a few days now.. perhaps i should fuel...

my celica is so hard on fuel i know to start thinking of gas once it hits 1/2 tank.
i get about 300k to a tank

manda
09-01-2010, 03:55 AM
Sophomore year of high school I drove a Sunfire.... ran it out of gas one night on the way to the gas station to avoid running out of gas (worked well huh?)..... the gas station is less than a mile from my house.

The celica.... absolutely not. When I first go her, the reserve light liked to sometimes play games and show up at about 1/4 tank.... sometimes on E.... sometimes not at all..... since I never knew when it would show up I consider 1/4 tank to absolutely-going nowhere-empty and fill it up before then. Since then the light only shows up right around the E... but 1/4 is still fill up time for me.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-01-2010, 04:50 AM
I haven't run the All Trac out of gas but I have done it in the past with a couple of other cars unfortunately. Try my best not to do it with a car using an electric fuel pump. That can get nasty.:evil:

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-14-2011, 12:24 AM
I have never run out in MY car. However, taking the keys for a friend's car, I have gotten in and run out on the way to the gas station.

boo_guy
02-14-2011, 01:57 AM
I did once... happened to be right beside a gas station when it happened too lol :D

Demz
02-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Ran out of gas in the Bonneville once. When the gas gauge was broken I put $15 in it because I was gonna borrow it the next day. Ran out of gas literally 20 yards from my house. Turns out the fiance drove halfway across the state and back without telling me. Shitty thing was I had brought my 5 month old puppy with me and I had to carry a 50 lb dog 20 yards that did not want to be carried. Fml.

Dr Mojo
02-23-2011, 01:43 AM
When you start to carry a jerry can full of fuel in the boot for when (not if) you run out, you know you've got a problem. The only problem is that the jerry can seems to encourage you to push the gauge needle more oftern cuz you know you have a back up. I never got to the 2 x jerry can stage though. Maybe I should install a reserve tank with valve like on a motorbike?? I've grown up since my stingy uni days, though the little fuel light and me are still good friends.

(p.s. technically I have never run out of 'gas' as cars in Aus run on petrol ..... ;) )

"A"
03-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Regular 87 Oct price jumped from $3.09 to $3.59 per gal. in the last 10 days, 92 oct jumped from $3.49 to $4.09 per gal. I think I will start commuting on my scooter or motorcycle once it gets warm.

cgo
03-09-2011, 02:25 AM
numerous times, most memorable with wife, exclaiming I know we have gas while tapping the gage of our 74 vw ghia. always a pleasant walk in the summer in minnesota, but nearly alway someone by to pick you up.

djmurphix
03-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I almost did was on the fwy n I did feel my car surging n struggling like it wanted to give out luckily I exited n all from there was just downhill n got all green lights so it was all neutral for me gas station was to the left n pumped with 5 bucks assuming gas is $4.03/gallon(for the plus)

stephen_lee
08-29-2011, 03:01 AM
i managed to fill my 15.9 gallon tank with 15.7 gallons once...

Wonderbread
01-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Once in my old s10, the gas gauge was broken so I knew it was going to happen eventually