PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new GT

KM
10-13-2009, 10:42 PM
so yesterday, I browsed CraigsList one last time and the first post I see?
"Toyota - $1000 (Newnan)".
Turns out it's a Gen5 GT, with 150k on it the speedometer.
In my city, nonetheless!
The previous owner said it'd been sitting in the Ohio sun for a few years (and you can tell, the paint is horrible and the interior is cracked and bleached).

I took it out for a test drive and nothing seems wrong with it... you know, minus the fact that it looks like ass and the trunk is broken.
And then I'll be degreasing the engine bay and all that good stuff.

So I'm throwing all the interior and some of the exterior from my busted ass GT to get it lookin' nice, and then I'll be parting out my GT... well, whatever parts are left to get.

burnyd
10-13-2009, 11:04 PM
I would never ever ever ever buy a Ohio/Michigan car! Those cars are rotted rusted on every spot beneath the car.. I was driving to Cincinati once I drove next to a guy without a windshield wearing goggles.. funny thing was the state trooper passed right by him and did not do anything? I guess its okay in Ohio to drive with a rusted no winshield cavalier.

car
10-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I would never ever ever ever buy a Ohio/Michigan car! Those cars are rotted rusted on every spot beneath the car.. I was driving to Cincinati once I drove next to a guy without a windshield wearing goggles.. funny thing was the state trooper passed right by him and did not do anything? I guess its okay in Ohio to drive with a rusted no winshield cavalier.
Don't forget Indiana, my car has cancer too (so do most 10+ year old cars here, unless they were garaged.)

celicaturbo700
10-14-2009, 01:07 AM
thats true. my car sat for over a year and its got cancer bad

jimbob789
10-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Don't forget Indiana, my car has cancer too (so do most 10+ year old cars here, unless they were garaged.)

mines 20 years old, lives on the street close to the beach and is rust free :wiggle:

KM
10-14-2009, 03:32 AM
I have found very little rust, to be honest.
And those rust spots? Sanding and primering.
I pulled the onto my ramps and got under it with a utility light, and sprayed undercoating.

I've got all the interior out, using up my last two cans (I got a case of 8 for $10).
The only weird thing about the car is an ethernet-like port leading from the passenger side of the center console to the trunk. I saw it and was like WTF?

I'm still in the process of swapping all my stuff over.
My interior is black, and ofcourse this one is stock grey.
The driver's seat has a tear in the arm, the passenger seat is almost perfect.
The backseat is good, with the exception of massive sunbleaching.

MCcelica
10-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Ethernet port looking dealie = Probably for a CD changer.

90CelicaST
10-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Or leftover from Lo-Jack

KM
10-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Well, it's pulled out now. I have the interior lined with sound deadener (like my other GT), and I've swapped out the majority of the interior.