PDA

View Full Version : First snowfall!

alistair
10-12-2009, 03:45 AM
So, it's snowing kinda hard outside, decided to go out for a rip in the alltrac, and put the 4WD to good use.

Used the local community centers empty parking lot as a spot to do power slides/skid pad. Spun around a few times, was a blast.

Was coming back on some unused residential roads, and I guess there was some sheer ice which I hit while braking, car started going sideways, ABS kicked in :( I let off the brakes and reapplied a bit softer and the car straightened itself out.

I'm not sure if I'm sold on the 'anti-lock' functionality in my alltrac. My Focus does a way better job with its ABS.

Anyway, It's my first winter with the alltrac and so far it's looking like it'll be fun :)

DudeMan
10-12-2009, 04:12 AM
The best part is pulling up to a big 4x4 truck at a red light and giving it a surprise. :bigthumbu

I'm really gonna miss my Four this winter...

T-spoon
10-12-2009, 04:41 AM
Heh, I slid a bit only once last winter and that was taking a hard turn that slopes down and away, it corrected quickly. I do agree though, I'm not too fond of the ABS to be perfectly honest, but that's about the only nitpick I have after a decent snowy winter.

Grot
10-12-2009, 04:48 AM
ABS is for losers.

Lol i kiddz. But really, i have yet to own a car with working ABS.

alistair
10-12-2009, 08:22 AM
The best part is pulling up to a big 4x4 truck at a red light and giving it a surprise. :bigthumbu

Why are you parking it? I thought your rebuild was going well

Slider
10-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Yea ABS on older cars isn't that great.

david in germany
10-12-2009, 09:06 AM
I had my first experience with the stability control in my Mini last Monday. I went into a wet maybe oily curve getting on the autobahn and the car wanted to go straight.. The car did it's magic and put me right where I wanted to be! Funny feeling but it did what it was suppose to do!

rizin
10-12-2009, 09:28 AM
It is funny in my gt no abs but working the clutch, throttle, and ebrake to make a turn in snow is fun. Not at high speeds though.

DudeMan
10-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Why are you parking it? I thought your rebuild was going well

I actually planned to have it down all winter.

Along with the engine rebuild I have to replace my tranny, rear diff, turbo and several body panels. Should be back on the road by next summer.

Disco Dan
10-12-2009, 04:54 PM
So, I have a questions for you North-Eastern (or just well-traveled) Canadians. The Hudson Bay. It freezes every winter, no? Wouldn't that make like, the most amazing car-skating rink? Or is it not that simple? I've been wondering this ever since I started reading about it. Can't find any info about people driving across it or over it or on it or anything.

Anyway, just curious.

ChrisD
10-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Probably haven't heard of it because there isn't very many people that live up there.

Haven't taken the ST205 out in the snow yet, but soon enough. Got to get some winter tires for it.

165 has them but I'll hold off on putting them on as I suspect we will get a good stretch without snow yet.

alistair
10-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Welcome back Chris!

Saw the weather report for you, was -15 or some shizzle. I couldn't help but laugh since for once we've got decent weather and you're the ones being frozen ;)

bajachris88
10-13-2009, 11:32 PM
haha, wish we had snow this way....

We got desert! Whilst dodging kangaroos at your windscreen...

ChrisD
10-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Snow sucks. 230 reported collisions yesterday. Probably just as much today. Crazy weather though, +20 for the weekend?

Blackcloud
10-14-2009, 11:08 PM

oh? my last dmax gripped like a motherfucker in the snow. think im gonna be fucked with the new truck. damn wide tires :thumbsdow

Tara
10-15-2009, 03:28 AM
ABS??? That came in Celicas?? Oh, wait. AFTER '85.

I haven't put the winters on my Celica yet... I dare not venture out on the roads with that thing until it's got something other than summer tires. Yikes! Tomorrow's the day, then the fun begins!