PDA

View Full Version : auto to manual trans swap

speedworks
10-09-2009, 02:45 AM
i don't know if i'm gonna go ahead with this swap, but i'm contemplating it. especially, since i'm gonna have the engine and tranny out of the car and i have two trannys available to me. i know i'll need the clutch master cylinder and the clutch pedal, but what else will i need?

aside from that, let me make sure that the trannys i have would work. i have a stock 5-speed from my 5th gen celica with the 2.2L, and i also have a stock 5-speed from a 4th gen gt celica. which would be the better way to go?

also, could i just use the clutch master cylinder from my 5th gen car? also, will i need to change the axles?

i know this isn't an easy conversion, but if i'm gonna do it, now is the time. i'd love to have the car with a manual tranny instead of the auto.

please let me know what i would need and if any of my parts would work for this conversion.

thanks
alex

taibones
10-09-2009, 03:13 AM
the brake pedals are different i believe, and what gen is the car you are thinking of converting
you will need the shift linkages and shifter and the housing that goes around it

speedworks
10-09-2009, 03:28 AM
really, the brake pedal changes too? interesting, well can anyone confirm that?

the car i'm thinking of converting is a 6th gen, 1997 celica gt.

and the tranny would most likely be coming out of my 1990, 5th gen gts. could i use the shift linkages from my 5th gen car? also, can i use the shifter and the housing also from my 5th gen?

just curious what i can use in this swap from what i already have

thanks
alex

taibones
10-09-2009, 03:48 AM
my brake pedal is as big as my clutch pedal and in most autos the brake pedal is about 4in wide, i have never actually looked at a brake pedal in an automatic so im not 100% on it the 5th gen manual trans is a s53 and the 6th gen is and s54 minor differences like the speed sensor and the internals but the housing should be about the same the linkages go from the trans under the hood into the firewall to the shifter, as long as the shifter housing bolts down to the car you should be fine
i have takin out my clutch pedal before to sand off the rust and paint it cause i was board. you have to see if you have holes to put in the clutch master cylinder if not take good measurments of the holes when you take it out of the 5th gen that goes for the clutch pedal to

speedworks
10-09-2009, 04:01 AM
cool, so i can more than likely use the pedal and master cylinder out of my 5th gen to do this conversion. NICE!!!!!!! well, i guess, if i can use these parts, i may be able to use the 5th gen brake pedal also if i end up needing the pedal, maybe.

i hope i can just cross over parts from the 5th gen car. that would make this conversion so perfect for me, parts wise.

can anyone else chime in on this subject?

thanks
alex

taibones
10-09-2009, 04:01 AM
buy the way u may want an ecu that came in a manual car check this out its a how to
http://www.6gc.net/howto/swap_auto_transmission_to_manual

joe's gt
10-09-2009, 06:08 AM
I've done it. Its easy yo. You've already done the hardest part which is getting the tranny, now just throw the manual one (don't forget the clutch fork and lube the shaft ;)) on there. From then on its cake. Get shift cables, shifter assembly, master cylinder, and clutch lines, and slave cylinder from a manual car. The indent for the master cylinder is already in the firewall once you pull back the carpet. Don't need a new break pedal, I don't believe (might want to double check that tho). Then drill out the big hole for the master cylinder rod and the two little ones for the mounting studs. Then just run everything and u got a manual car.

DO IT. ITS SOOOOO WORTH IT!!!

EDIT: forgot about the ecu. that might be little obstacle, but that should be relatively easy to find and cheap.

Shadowlife25
10-09-2009, 09:02 AM
He will need a new brake pedal. Auto brake pedal is MUCH wider and will obstruct the clutch pedal once installed.

kungFUBAR
10-09-2009, 05:22 PM
He will need a new brake pedal. Auto brake pedal is MUCH wider and will obstruct the clutch pedal once installed.

I fixed mine with a dremel :hehe: The pedal assemblies are the same except for the width of the pad.

The ecu's are different enough to be annoying. If you keep the auto ecu, you'll need to keep your neutral safety switch or wire something up to replace it. You'll also run into a problem with your reverse light switch.

Murgatroy
10-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Not entirely true. In theory it is. If you rehang a factory set of pedals (when I swapped my Mustang from Auto to Manual I used a set of factory Mustang manual pedals) you will be fine. However, on a few swaps I have done, we have hung a separate clutch assembly. I have done this a time or two while retaining the factory auto brake pedal.

In nearly every truck I have converted, I have kept the wider auto pedal. The logic behind this is to enhance two foot operation and left foot braking when using a a truck as, you know, a truck.

joe's gt
10-10-2009, 03:01 AM
The pedal assemblies are the same except for the width of the pad.

Maybe I just changed out the pad on mine then. That seems right, cuz I don't remember replacing the brake. After 5 yrs. its hard to remember. lol.

Disco Dan
10-10-2009, 03:52 AM
This is pretty thorough, and is what I have used when I have had auto/manual conversion questions.

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/atomconvi.htm

On the second page, he gives you every part number you would need if you got most of it from the dealer.

Don't worry too much about the ones that say "clevis pin" or "bushings". If you got the whole brake pedal and the arm and spring assemblies attached to it, you won't need to get any new parts.

As far as the brake pedals being different, I believe it's not just the width of the pedal pad, but the angle of the arm (I don't know what it's called, I call it the arm) of the pedal as well. I had both at one point, but I sold my swap kit, so I only have the auto one. I believe the auto one goes further to the left than the manual one does.

The ECU wiring is a snap. My 3S-GE with its m/t is running on the a/t ECU and harness. The only things I had to do were the following:

Jump two pins on the Neutral Start Switch connector on the ECU. This generally plugs into the A/T and makes sure you're in either park or neutral before you start the car. I can't recall which two pins, but you just want to jump them so that the ECU thinks you're always in park or neutral. Or, if you want to be super safe about it, run a couple of wires from those pins into the cabin to a switch, so you can enable or disable starting with a switch. This could double as an anti-theft feature.

You'll want to get a connector from a junk yard for the reverse light switch. The wires for the a/t and the m/t are the same, but they end at differently shaped connectors, so you can't plug the a/t connector into a m/t. The easiest way is to just cut off the bit of wire and disconnect the connector from a m/t in a junkyard. They may not even charge you for it. Then splice it into your harness and bingo! I wouldn't skip this step, as I'd be pretty pissed if someone backed out of a parking lot and I ran into them because they didn't have working reverse lights.

Oh, also, the driver-side mount is different on the a/t than the m/t. You'll need one of those.

I think that's about it. Really, the link above has everything else you'll need, and maybe more. Best of luck!

Shadowlife25
10-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Good find Dan, Thanks much.

-Mario

speedworks
10-10-2009, 11:38 PM
still undecided if i want to do this or not. i'd really like to, but don't know if i really want to go through the job of doing it. especially since i'm trying to adapt the 5th gen parts to work on a 6th gen.

opinions?

joe's gt
10-11-2009, 02:44 AM
opinions?

automatic = sux and boring

manual = keeps you alert, keeps the ride from getting boring, fun. Only negative is if ur constantly in traffic.

taibones
10-11-2009, 02:48 AM
you could always buy a manual celica