PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum 3S Crank Pulley

RedRkt01
10-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Lightened crank pulley. Um.....it's a pulley for the crank and it's...uh...lightened. I hope there aren't any questions.

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp80/redrkt02/kolo_alu.jpg

Grot
10-08-2009, 01:24 AM
I got a Question. :hehe:

It work for a 1g NA?

RedRkt01
10-08-2009, 01:29 AM
If you're talking about a 1st Gen 3SGE, then it will work. If you are talking about a 1st Gen Normally Aspirated Celica, then you're shit outta luck. ;)

Grot
10-08-2009, 01:38 AM
You know what i mean....

How much?

Luni
10-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Id really like to see these made in 2 piece design with rubber dampening material between the 2 pieces.

RedRkt01
10-08-2009, 01:44 AM
$150 USD + shipping. Prices are subject to change with the international exchange rate.

Luni, I'll see what we can cook up. That is a good idea.

Shadowlife25
10-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Another thing, I know the ones they offer for the 3SGTE are mostly for Mr2's which are different and will NOT work on an AllTrac. Do you have one that does or will you in the future?

RedRkt01
10-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Another thing, I know the ones they offer for the 3SGTE are mostly for Mr2's which are different and will NOT work on an AllTrac. Do you have one that does or will you in the future?

This is design by GT-Four guys for GT-Four guys. GT-Four/Alltrac approved ;).

Shadowlife25
10-08-2009, 11:33 PM
I freakin love you man.

joe's gt
10-09-2009, 12:11 AM
This is pretty sweet. I love a lighter rotating assembly. But I share Luni's concern about the damping? Harmonic vibrations at the right frequencies can be pretty dangerous. Does the stock pulley serve as a vibration dampener as well?

RedRkt01
10-09-2009, 01:03 AM
This is pretty sweet. I love a lighter rotating assembly. But I share Luni's concern about the damping? Harmonic vibrations at the right frequencies can be pretty dangerous. Does the stock pulley serve as a vibration dampener as well?

I do believe so.

Luni
10-09-2009, 01:23 AM
It does, thats why Id like to see it changed to a 2 piece with a torsional damper between the 2 pieces.

joe's gt
10-09-2009, 01:54 AM
Well in that case...x2

grayscale
10-10-2009, 05:55 AM
It does, thats why Id like to see it changed to a 2 piece with a torsional damper between the 2 pieces.
You should only need that if your crank is unbalanced. If you're going as far as using one of these for true performance means than a balanced crank should already be done.:bigthumbu

VikingJZ
10-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Great part man.

I have to jump on the Luni bandwagon though. I always think of the word 'harmonic' for this.

The vibrations could be bad.

That would be really cool if you could get two piece stuff.

Get one for a 20R!

joe's gt
10-10-2009, 10:45 PM
You should only need that if your crank is unbalanced. If you're going as far as using one of these for true performance means than a balanced crank should already be done.:bigthumbu

I have to disagree man. I know you are way more experienced with cars than I am, but harmonic vibrations at their natural frequencies sometimes at certain rpms can combine to produce pretty dangerous amplitudes that can ruin shit.

Luni
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM
It has nothing to do with being balanced. When your engine runs your crank flexes and actually bends a little. As metal bends it makes sounds, soundwaves travel up the metal. They hit each other and create new sounds that are magnified by each other. It doesnt really have anything to do with your engine being balanced or not.

Take a look at a DSM (Or newer 5SFE for that matter wit balance shafts). The balance shafts reduce nvh. nvh is just noise and vibration. It isnt a big deal, its there for peoples perception of smooth. But the crank pulley on a DSM still has a rubber piece in it to act as a harmonic balancer.

Now, I will say this. Ive never read a thread on any of the boards, that involved the use of an underdrive pulley, or something like what is being sold here being the sole cause of engine failure. I just say that Ive read ALOT about it. And I dont think Im smarter than a toyota engineer.

joe's gt
10-11-2009, 08:28 PM
^^ me too. never read a thread on a board yet, but have read about it.

RedRkt01
10-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Well put Rob.....honesty is righteous ;)

rizin
10-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Ok the way I would look at this is not a harmonic balancer. It is more of a dampener. I work on power lines they design dampeners to keep wear down on the transmission lines. The two piece balancers are like shock absorbers for your crank. They dampen the vibrations in the crank (oppose). If you put a steel rod in place of the shock everything will be damaged. Mounts, tires will wear not even and much more. So now you have the pully with a rubber peice that is the shock absorber. It will extend the life of the crank and bearings.

On a performance side if you are rebuilding the engine often this is great performance upgrade. Small Hp upgrade.

Sorry Red I don't want to put your part down. I love it but most people are looking for long term upgrades.

Luni
10-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Rizin your 2 terms "harmonic balancer" and "dampener" mean the same thing in this context.

A harmonic balancer just "balances" the harmonic dissonance of the crank by dampening and absorbing the shockwaves being transmitted along it.

But yes, we are on the same page.

So RedRkt what do we gotta do to get this in 2 pieces with a rubber piece between the 2 for dampening ability.

Ill say this. One of the guys on MR2oc took an unorthodox racing pulley, used a drill press, drilled a bunch of holes in his, filled them with urethane and took a video of hitting the thing with a tuning fork before and after. The difference was amazing.

He had access to a balancing machine though, so it was perfectly balanced, and I beleive he ended up running it like that.

But yeah, just drilling holes and filling them in with urethane seemed to help a bit. However I dont know how much less than stock it weighed with the urethane in it though.

To be devils advocate though, on the flipside, I seriously doubt the rubber in most of our stock crank pulleys is in the most healthy state, so Im really thinking our stock ones might not really be doing the job like they should, theyre WAY old. Most of us are running Gen2 3SGTEs, and our engines are approaching 20 years old for some of us. Some of us have even OLDER engines.

So, in light of that, I wonder how bad this really would be for a high mileage engine - I say bad, in terms of this vs what you already have.

Dunno.

Mafix
10-13-2009, 04:13 AM
just a thought instead of using a rubber band for harmonic dampening
fluid dampener. like fluidyne. much better. i'd be in for one of those

RedRkt01
10-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Rob, I always enjoy your input. In fact, I enjoy almost everyone's input. But from now on can we keep our eyes on the ball here? Rob is the only person here that said "nice, can we....". Everyone else turned this thread into a theory discussion. That wasn't why I started the thread.

Rob, you already did what needs to be done to get the ball rolling. You asked. And now......you shall receive......in due time ;)

rizin
10-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Sorry about not posting anything positive. Can't wait to see what is to come.

alistair
10-19-2009, 01:16 AM
And theres notches on it to set your timing?