PDA

View Full Version : will 5sfe from a camry fit?

speedworks
10-01-2009, 09:30 PM
just as the title says. will a 5sfe from a camry fit without modification into a 6gen celica gt?

i just picked up a nice 6gen and i threw a rod on the way home and it looks like the rod busted through the block, so i need a new motor, and celica motors are a little hard to come by in my neck of the woods. but i do know of a few camry engines.

if the camry one will work, then i'm gonna jump on this right away cause this is my daily driver and i need a working car soon.

thanks
alex

speedworks
10-01-2009, 11:13 PM
please gang, chime in on this one. i really need help getting this car up and running again. i was told that the camry engine might not fit simply because it has balance shafts and the oil pan is bigger. i don't care about the oil pan cause i'm gonna swap a 3sgte oil pan onto the motor, but will the balance shafts cause a problem?

Tecker184
10-01-2009, 11:39 PM
5sfe from a camry will work. You will have to use the intake manifold and exhaust manifold from your engine. My brother is running a camry engine in his car.

speedworks
10-02-2009, 03:51 AM
tecker, you sure on that? i wanna make sure before i go buy a motor from a junkyard that is not returnable. the larger oil pan due to the balance shafts won't be a problem?

also, the camry i saw at the yard is a 96, and my celica is a 97, should all this be compatible?

thanks
alex

Grot
10-02-2009, 03:58 AM
yes you can use it, use the manifolds he told you

speedworks
10-02-2009, 04:11 AM
perfect. off to the junkyard tomorrow to try and get a motor and get my car up and running again.

anything else i need to swap over?

speedworks
10-02-2009, 11:17 PM
ok, so i went off calling some junkyards today. found a few engines. but one of the junkyards that specialize in toyota parts told me that the 5sfe from the camry will go in but the rear mount can only take 2 of the 4 bolts in the camry engine with the celica mount.

any suggestions or comments?

i'm about to give up and junk this car along with my other dead 5th gen celica that is also gonna go to the junkyard.

anyone wanna help me out before i kill both cars

Shadowlife25
10-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Dunno on the mounts... I didn't have that issue at all.
I am currently running a Camry motor from 2002 in my 91 Celica.
Switch over the intake manifold and a couple other things, but that is pretty much it.

Should work just fine, but we'll see if anyone else can tell you for sure on the mount.
I think it's BS though, as the rear mount is mounted to the tranny.

You should be fine.

Shadowlife25
10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
*EDIT*

You may need a different cross member.

speedworks
10-03-2009, 02:27 AM
oh crap, now things are getting difficult with having to change more stuff. if its gonna be that hard, forget it.

85gtsblackman
10-03-2009, 05:28 AM
i thought all 2nd gen and up 5sfe has balace shafts

why is a differnt cross member needed

Shadowlife25
10-03-2009, 06:02 AM
It shouldn't Joe. I just stated that it may be a possibility.

Honestly the only difference he should see is that he'll need to swap the intake manifold and possibly the distributor. Everything else is pretty much the same.

Speedworks: If you HONESTLY think that switching a couple parts over to have a damn near new working engine and running car is too much trouble, you might want to get used to riding a bus...

You don't need to change the oil pan.
Clearances are the same for engine fitment in the bay.

Start to finish, working straight through, you can have the old motor out and the new one in in like 9 hours. If you have a friend help you, it won't take near as long.

Tecker184
10-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Speedworks: If you HONESTLY think that switching a couple parts over to have a damn near new working engine and running car is too much trouble, you might want to get used to riding a bus...
^^yupp

speedworks
10-03-2009, 10:20 PM
i don't mind the work of swapping parts and such, but if it involved, swapping the cross member, that was my issue, cause that just meant another part i'd have to track down and buy, and i'm on a really tight budget to get this car up and running. also, for some reason, celica's are rare beasts in the junkyards locally, so finding any extra parts is a real mission. thats the entire reason for asking if a camry 5sfe will fit, cause those are a dime a dozen in the yards here.

i just need to know if the camry 5s will bolt in, no problem, into a 97 celica. i can't run the risk of buying the motor and then run into a problem with the mounts not bolting up correctly or something like that. like i said, a local toyota only junkyard told me that the camry 5s will work but the rear mount won't bolt up properly. i don't know.

please help

speedworks
10-03-2009, 10:27 PM
one other question. will a 3sfe work fine in my 97 celica? i found one cheap on ebay. will my 5s manifolds, wiring, ecu, and mounts work with that motor in my car?

thanks

Grot
10-03-2009, 10:31 PM
IF the crossmember is needed, it would be from the camry you pulled the engine from. but the motor mount shouldnt be a problem. like mario said it mounts to the tranny, and should swap right over.

speedworks
10-03-2009, 10:44 PM
ok cool. thanks. now, what about the 3sfe?

Grot
10-03-2009, 11:21 PM
will need new wiring harness and ECU but it will bolt right up

85gtsblackman
10-04-2009, 01:34 AM
3sfe will have less power and torque

id be pissed to have almost the same hp as a 7afe in a gt

the crossmember itself is 4 bolts and the other 2 or 4 for the motor mount, if you cant tackle that go get a brand new car and opt for lifetime warrenty

speedworks
10-06-2009, 11:05 PM
i was told i could probably run the 3sfe with the same harness in the car and the 5s ecu.

any info on that?

Smaay
10-07-2009, 01:31 AM
you are getting bad information from your source. listen to the info here. do not use a 3SFE, its not worth it, you need all the 3SFE stuff. the 5SFE from a camry will bolt right in, just take everything off your long block and put it on the camry long block. thats it nuff said

speedworks
10-07-2009, 02:26 AM
great thanks. so the search continues. here we go again.

85gtsblackman
10-07-2009, 05:00 AM
car-part.com

use it

speedworks
10-07-2009, 08:15 AM
i did. found a few camry engines, locally. gonna make some calls about that in the morning. hopefully get me an engine in a few days to get my ride running.

speedworks
10-08-2009, 04:53 AM
ok, here's one more question. will the oil pan from a 3sgte fit fine on a 1996 camry 5sfe? just want to know since i have the parts lying around i was going to turbo my 5th gen before the engine seized. so i have the manifold, turbo and oil pan from the 3sgte lying around in the garage. i'm not sure i want to turbo the 6th gen i purchased since its got an auto trans, but if i'm gonna be putting a "new" engine in the car, if the oil pan fits, i might as well slap it on there now, in case i decide to go turbo in the near future, the pan will already be in place.

thoughts or suggestions?

speedworks
10-09-2009, 01:37 AM
any clue on the oil pan question guys?

Shadowlife25
10-09-2009, 09:09 AM
...............search...........

speedworks
10-10-2009, 01:38 AM
ok, i did a search, but i'm not finding a clear answer. someone told me that the 3sgte oil pan from the 5th gen celica all-trac would not fit on the '96 camry 5sfe. thats why i'm asking.

please help

Tecker184
10-10-2009, 02:08 AM
well theirs one way to find out. When you get the engine just take the pan off and test fit it. I don't see the harm in that. Either way you look at it you would need an oil pan gasket. If it fits you will need a gasket, if it don't fit you need a gasket to put it back on done deal.

celica91gts
10-10-2009, 02:58 AM
i would think so. most guys who 5sfte bolt on the 3sgte oil pan or get their 5sfe oil pan tapped.

Tecker184
10-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Yea someone at a scrap yard put it in his head that the 5sfe from a camry is completely different from the 5sfe in a celica.

Shadowlife25
10-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Yea someone at a scrap yard put it in his head that the 5sfe from a camry is completely different from the 5sfe in a celica.

Bingo. ;) Hence the search comment. :p

speedworks
10-10-2009, 08:55 PM
ok, ok, ok. chill out everyone. i just have limited funds and limited time since i just got myself a third job. i was just hoping to get the answer about the oil pan fitting with the camry balance shafts. thats my concern.

thanks
alex

Shadowlife25
10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
i would think so. most guys who 5sfte bolt on the 3sgte oil pan or get their 5sfe oil pan tapped.

Your question did get answered. ^^^

speedworks
10-10-2009, 09:36 PM
another forum member just told me that the balance shafts on the camry 5s might interfere with the 3sgte oil pan. how do i go about removing the balance shafts, if its even possible.

thanks
alex

Shadowlife25
10-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Send a PM to Pressure2. Ask about the oil pan. He runs a 5sfte.

I would honestly just run it stock to have a running car first..

Shadowlife25
10-10-2009, 09:43 PM
By the way, if you are going to change oil pans, remember that the bolts are really easy to strip or snap the heads off. Use an inch pound torque wrench. :)

speedworks
10-10-2009, 11:35 PM
actually, i asked pressure2 and he isn't sure about the oil pan question. he said that the pan might not clear due to the balance shafts, but he isn't 100% sure. he said if it does interfere, to just remove the balance shafts and run it like that.

i've spoken much with him about the 5sfte setup since i had already planned it on my 5th gen before the motor seized. so i've got some info as it is and i've got the 3sgte parts already.

and as far as your suggestion of not turbo'ing now. i completely agree with you. i want to get the car up and running first and work out any bugs, then do the turbo project. but if i have the new motor out already, and the turbo oil pan in my hands, why not take advantage now and swap the pans now before i drop the motor in the car and be ready for the turbo when it comes.

i still have to collect some more parts for the turbo buildup, but i have some stuff as it is.

with the oil pan, i'm just trying to make my life a little easier for when i get ready to turbo the car. i'll just run a plug on the oil inlet on the pan for now until i'm ready.