PDA

View Full Version : G-Tech RR - Dragon vs The Black Knight

MrTurrari
09-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Hey guys, tonight I finally decided to advance my timing on the Dragon and see what it would do. Since I am running NA at 9:1 CR and have the knock system I was not too worried about detonation but I still kept my ear open. I ended up just advancing it across the board by 5 degrees and let the knock system fine tune it. The difference was imediately noticable. Just for comparison I took some runs in my black 92 stock NA MR2 (The Black Knight) and adjusted the weight to try to account for my altitude here at 4300ft. When I hit about 110rwhp and 140rwtq I called it good and did both cars. The teal car (Dragon) is actually about 50 pounds heavier because of the power options, larger wheels, brakes and stereo system.

Please take these results with a grain of salt because a G-Tech doesn't account for altitude, gearing or wind resistance. My top end would actually appear stronger on a dyno with both cars because there is no increasing wind resistance on a dyno. Still it gives you a good idea of the torque curves and how much more power my built 5sfe has over stock. Except for the base run from a couple of weeks ago these were all done within about an hour of each other on the same stretch of road.

Black - The Black Knight base run tonight (Completely stock 5sfe in a no options hard top MR2)
Blue - Dragon base run I did earlier this month
Green - Dragon base run tonight before adjusting timing
Red - Dragon run tonight after advancing timing 5 degrees
http://warp.scl.utah.edu/mr2/5sfeComparison.jpg
Just thought I would share.

Grot
09-29-2009, 05:30 AM
dam man. a full 16 ft/lbs and 15ish hp from timing advance thats impressive

MrTurrari
09-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Yeah I think the overclock of the ECU was retarding timing significantly. It is pulling harder now all the way from 2000 to 8000rpms.

Shadowlife25
09-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Nice work. Cool that you posted before and after results as well.

Thanks much :)

99celiGT
10-01-2009, 03:54 AM
how much did this test and tune cost ya, and would any1 know if there dedicated shops for this in Florida

joe's gt
10-01-2009, 04:16 AM
OMG! such a flat torque curve. Nice.

How does adjusting the weight to 5200 lbs account for altitude? Does it have to do with the lower density of the air yielding less power than would be apparent at sea level, so you increased the weight to simulate the power drop that would occur as a result of the lower air density?

If so, what equation did you use and what assumptions did u make to reach an amount of 5200 lbs?

MrTurrari
10-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Well it really just cost me the price of gas because I already have everything I need to tune. The G-Tech just gives me a way to see if what I did made an improvement.

To get the 5200 figure I just tried different values on the stock 5sfe car until I got 110rwhp which is what they are supposed to make at sea level. I should have done torque instead though because the RPMs were reading low and that threw the numbers off a bit.

You are right the extra weight is just adjusting the numbers to account for the fact that it makes less power at my altitude and because I was using 2nd gear for the pulls. I may try again and see if I can get the rpms to read correctly on the black car so I can get an even more accurate comparison between the two.

MrTurrari
10-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Here's what it looks like from in the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ltjFkzqiQ

MrTurrari
10-11-2009, 04:47 AM
I went out a G-Teched both cars again tonight (yes I know I am obsessed) this time in 1st gear because there is less wind resistance to skew the numbers between torque and HP. This time I got the black car reading the RPM correctly too.

Blue - Stock NA MR2s make about 130rwtq so I adjusted weight until it was close
Green - Stock NA MR2s make about 110rwhp so I adjusted weight until it was close
Black - Built NA using the same weight as the black car when it made 130rwtq
Red - Built NA using the same weight as the black car when it made 110rwhp

http://warp.scl.utah.edu/mr2/StockvsBuilt5sfe.jpg

Understand these numbers will be a little low because the built car weighs 50-100 pounds more then the stock one and has 18" wheels and tires that are about 1" taller. The torque will read a little low because of the change in gearing this causes as well as the increased weight. Not as good as a real dyno but I am convinced I have passed 150rwhp lol.

Lonestag
10-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Man, that is sweet, nice to see a NA 5S over 150whp...